Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Roman Gonzalez be Number One?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think because he is at #2 in The Ring or anywhere else, shows how flawed media/fans view on P4P list. GGG #4 also, above Kovalev by several spots, despite Kovalev having the more impressive resume in the harder weight class. Both Loma and Rigo are top 5 P4P fighters imo and would both beat Gonzalez head to head, yet Rigo is #5 and Loma is not in the top 10 P4P. I think that Crawford is also better than Gonzalez P4P but he's well below Gonzalez. I don't take any P4P list serious right now because the media has gone wild with promoting their favorite knock out artists rather than fighters with actual impressive wins.

Comment

In some ways, the list is a popularity contest.

Obviously it's about skills and accomplishments, but that Gonzalez is up high is a bit shocking. Normally a guy has to have a name and a face that has been on American TV several times to be that high, which definitely makes him exceptional.

I definitely think the sport has rebuilding ahead of it. I'm excited to see who else will emerge. Marquez, Mayweather, Pacqiuao, Hopkins and Cotto have all had their day. Cotto has a little left in the tank, but the others being gone finally is a good thing.

Comment

When your best win is a green Estrada in a close fight, you're not p4p. The hipster writers just like to overrate the very low weight classes.....the talent pool is very poor compared to other weight classes. It's almost as bad as women's boxing...

Comment

What's interesting is that Gonzalez is number 32 on boxrec.com's pound for pound. Haha.

Golovkin still 3 and Kovalev at 5. Wlad is number 2. So in their eyes, he gets the top spot.

Comment

If he mans up and fights iunoe or remetches estrada he will lose that is why he is fighting Viloria instead

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              He's got great skills, but I just find it a bit sad considering a tiny man like that could be our sport's P4P #1 guy. I say this as a Finito Lopez fan.
              that's... the whole point of p4p though

which is why it's kinda stupid to begin with

just got so popular nowadays because of the rivalry at the top which is over

not quite as interesting when #1 and #2 are 118 and 250 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                When your best win is a green Estrada in a close fight, you're not p4p. The hipster writers just like to overrate the very low weight classes.....the talent pool is very poor compared to other weight classes. It's almost as bad as women's boxing...
                Estrada is on Boxingscenes P4P list and is : WBA and WBO Champion ; youre not even trying.
                Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                If he mans up and fights iunoe or remetches estrada he will lose that is why he is fighting Viloria instead
                Inoue has only eight wins ok and is a weight division above Chocolatito.But he can get it too.

Comment

Pound for pound is just a matter of opinion and can't be proven unless the fighters are in the same weight class. It should be based on how good the fighters are right now and not how well known they are. No boxer is as well known as Mayweather but Mayweather is 38 and prime is 27 or 28 years old, not 38 years old. I think Gonzalez is a better fighter pound for pound right now than Mayweather but that is just my opinion. Gonzalez is one hell of a fighter and he is young. Mayweather is one hell of a fighter but he is old.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    When Mayweather retires in a week or so, will Gonzalez who is very much an unknown, be number one pound for pound in the Ring's ratings? I don't hink this is a bad move. I'm a big fan of Gonzalez, who is way more entertaining than Mayweather. However, I do have to wonder why Wladimir is not next up. The guy has been champion for nearly ten years and he has beaten everybody in his division except for a couple of course, which he is getting to. Like him or not, he's knocked them all down. I think he deserves the number one spot with Gonzalez being a close second. Then again, maybe their October fights will really tell us what's going on.
                    He is very well known here in Japan.
                    Big star!

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                      I definitely want to see a rematch with Estrada!

Comment

Working...
                      X