No announcement yet.

ali was 31-0 25 ko's before his boxing exile

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ali was 31-0 25 ko's before his boxing exile

so why did some people consider him a light puncher?

Originally posted by larry x View Post
    Because there's an unfortunate trend among many boxing fans to think in terms of "all or nothing". Either a fighter has one punch power or he can't hit at all: There's nothing in between in their eyes.

Poet

Comment

Muhammad Ali was robbed of 3yrs 8 months of his career and they was without a doubt his best years..

it has always amazed me how Ali could be called a `Light-Puncher`IMO he hit as hard as anyone with the exception of the Big 5 ... Foreman, Shavers, Tyson, Frazier & Louis

He certainly punched as hard if not harder than Vitali Klitschko, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield, Norton, Bowe, Moorer & Valuev the champions since Ali`s reign.. Could any of these have KOd Foreman, Bonavena, Frazier or Folley i very much doubt it... Muhammad Ali was a good puncher

Comment

Your Big 5 list sucks,Sonny Liston was a much greater puncher than Joe Frazier ever was and to argue other wise is simply stupid and wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Muhammad Ali was robbed of 3yrs 8 months of his career and they was without a doubt his best years..

it has always amazed me how Ali could be called a `Light-Puncher`IMO he hit as hard as anyone with the exception of the Big 5 ... Foreman, Shavers, Tyson, Frazier & Louis

He certainly punched as hard if not harder than Vitali Klitschko, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield, Norton, Bowe, Moorer & Valuev the champions since Ali`s reign.. Could any of these have KOd Foreman, Bonavena, Frazier or Folley i very much doubt it... Muhammad Ali was a good puncher
          most of the fighters he faced were not of a good caliber,and ali should of went in the army,he would of been able to train and still fight,look at elvis presley the biggest star in the history of all entertainment[past,present,future],he went in and lost 2 years of his career and did not complain or even think about asking for special treatment

Comment

yea in his hey day he was so fast and speed kills is what they say.

I never considered him a light puncher, in his comeback he never had the same pop though.

Really when Ali came back he was heavier and didn't have the same legs. He still had tremendous heart however.
            Last edited by them_apples; 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

ali had a great chin,i think the best ever,even though he hit the canvas a few times his chin was granite

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
                most of the fighters he faced were not of a good caliber,and ali should of went in the army,he would of been able to train and still fight,look at elvis presley the biggest star in the history of all entertainment[past,present,future],he went in and lost 2 years of his career and did not complain or even think about asking for special treatment
                Presley/Ali is not a good example being is that entertainers have a far longer shelf life than a sportsman.

Comment

Ali wasn't a huge puncher but he was a sharp hitter. He could cut opponents up and catch them with punches they didn't see coming.

I'd say he was actually throwing punches with the most authority when he fought Frazier the first time. Against Cleveland Williams he was devastating but then again it was an old, literally shot Cleveland Williams. A lot of people began to question his punching power after his performances against Chuvalo, Terrell, Patterson and Mildenberger, sarcastically asking him how he was ever able to "KO" Liston when he had trouble getting rid of these opponents.

Ali was no better a puncher than for example Floyd Patterson though. Ali never quite was able to hurt Henry Cooper, only cut him, while Patterson flattened Cooper in four rounds.
                  Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

Ali never quite was able to hurt Henry Cooper, only cut him, while Patterson flattened Cooper in four rounds.

wrong.
                    watch the first fight again how scared cooper was in round 5

Comment

Working...
                    X