No announcement yet.

Roach to corner St-Pierre at UFC 217

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach to corner St-Pierre at UFC 217

Freddie Roach, who was instrumental in getting Georges St-Pierre a new contract during a past stalemate with the UFC, recently spoke about working with the former champion in his famed Wild Card Boxing Gym. According to the legendary boxing coach, St-Pierre is improving his boxing and hits with a lot more power these days.

“He’s getting better and better. He’s a little bigger, a little stronger than he has been in the past because this fight is going to be in a higher weight class. He has a little more weight on him, and he punches with a lot more power,” Roach told Fight Hub.

Roach also revealed that he will be playing a big part in GSP’s training camp, and will be in his corner come UFC 217 — a first for the boxing coach.

“He did really really well. I’m going to be heading up to Montreal pretty soon. For six weeks, I’ll spend 3 days a week in Montreal, and 4 days here,” he said. “He wants me in the corner. He wants me in the ring, in between rounds, and I said no problem.”

“He’s in with a big tough guy, and it should be action packed. I’m excited with my first UFC fight.”

The 57-year-old coach also broke down the match up against current middleweight champion Michael Bisping.

“(Bisping) is a tough guy. He comes to fight. I don’t think he’s the best athlete in the world. I think Georges is a much better athlete, and I think that will be the difference in the fight. His athleticism will take him through the fight.

“But it’s not going to be easy though, that’s for sure. The first round, I’m a little worried, because Georges is always a little bit stiff in the first round. Then he gets into the fight as the rounds go on. So early, I’m a little bit worried but I’ll warm him up really good in the dressing room.”

Interesting

Comment

Bisping would beat gsp. He don't belong in the middleweight division.

Comment

the phuck?? why would gsp do that for. wtf is roach gonna tell gsp in between rounds in a mma fight? lol.

Comment

He can only tell him what to do in the stand up, obviously. If one wants to improve their boxing, Roach is a pretty good trainer to go with. I remember he trained Arlovski for his fight with Fedor in the second Affliction PPV. Arlovski was doing well, until he got caught with that overhand right, but before then was throwing decent jabs and combos, even mixing in leg kicks, so seems like GSP will look to do the same, at least in the first round and will probably have his regular trainer for the grappling strategy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            He can only tell him what to do in the stand up, obviously. If one wants to improve their boxing, Roach is a pretty good trainer to go with. I remember he trained Arlovski for his fight with Fedor in the second Affliction PPV. Arlovski was doing well, until he got caught with that overhand right, but before then was throwing decent jabs and combos, even mixing in leg kicks, so seems like GSP will look to do the same, at least in the first round and will probably have his regular trainer for the grappling strategy as well.
            yeah, until he thought he was super man and did that jumping punch in the air and got caught while coming down LOL.

Comment

Yep, as long as GSP doesn't try something risky like that, he should be fine. He's got enough trouble fighting a naturally bigger opponent where he can get caught with one shot to end it, so he needs to be careful.

Comment

Working...
              X