No announcement yet.

My thoughts on Sliva/Maia and Penn/Edgar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on Sliva/Maia and Penn/Edgar

I'll start with Penn/Edgar. I had a feeling Edgar was going to give BJ problems. BJ has a great jab and I knew the minute he fought someone with movement he was going to have problems. That said I really expected Frankie to get caught at some point and get KO'd. It was a close fight and really could have gone either way. People are going to cry robbery one way or another. Props to Frankie. He's a little dude with alot of heart. I'm a fan. BJ looked like a defeated fighter when the fight was over. He had that look like he knew he had lost before they announced the winner. I thought BJ did slightly better on the stand-up but Frankie did have a takedown (VERY IMPRESSIVE). BJ looked tired in the late rounds which let's me know what I've always thought: BJ's cardio is still a problem..

Silva/Maia was disgusting. I'm over Anderson Silva. The showboating was over the top. Worse than Roy Jones (Who I really believe he tries to imitate). Maia won me over. Broken nose, eye shut, and he was going for the kill (though he really had no choice, and did hesitate in the opening rounds). After Ando got caught in that Maia flurry he got scared. The number one pound for pound fighter in the world running away from a replacement fighter!?? **** that. Fedor is the p4p king in my eyes. I'd even take GSP over Silva. Silva draining to WW is a bad move. GSP's takedowns are better than Hendo and Hendo found success with his wrestling. Ando will be drained and fighting a better fighter in GSP.

Over all it was a bad card. I split it with 3 other people so it didn't cost so I can't ***** too much.

30 Second of fighting out of 25 minutes is not going for the kill IMO...

Comment

GSP handing it to Spider just because he has good mat skills? No way, everyone in mma or fighting will tell you size matters and Silva is no slouch. Just because he had a bad performance he will kill GSP. No contest, Silva has good take down defense and is way way bigger than GSP. The reach distance alone can turn into a jab fest and Silva will win by scorecard. GSP is not the opponent like everyone else thinks for Silva. Silva needs to move up to fight the heavy hitters and bigger guys who are harder to take down and harder to defend their weight on you. If Silva fights smaller lighter opponents do you really think that is the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel22 View Post
        GSP handing it to Spider just because he has good mat skills? No way, everyone in mma or fighting will tell you size matters and Silva is no slouch. Just because he had a bad performance he will kill GSP. No contest, Silva has good take down defense and is way way bigger than GSP. The reach distance alone can turn into a jab fest and Silva will win by scorecard. GSP is not the opponent like everyone else thinks for Silva. Silva needs to move up to fight the heavy hitters and bigger guys who are harder to take down and harder to defend their weight on you. If Silva fights smaller lighter opponents do you really think that is the answer?
        A) GSP/Silva would not be a blow out by either fighter
        B) Anderson does not have great TDD. He was taken down by Marquardt, Rich, Lutter and Henderson. None of which have the explosive double and fast level change that GSP has.
        C) The difference in reach is less that two inches between Silva and GSP
        D) GSP outwrestles MW's and LHW's on the regular.

It would be a competitive affair

Comment

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post
          A) GSP/Silva would not be a blow out by either fighter
          B) Anderson does not have great TDD. He was taken down by Marquardt, Rich, Lutter and Henderson. None of which have the explosive double and fast level change that GSP has.
          C) The difference in reach is less that two inches between Silva and GSP
          D) GSP outwrestles MW's and LHW's on the regular.

It would be a competitive affair
          So they are doing this for sure and at 170?

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel22 View Post
            I agree 100 percent and GSP should be ****ting his pants if this was a MW fight. The thing is, Ando at 34 is going to cut 15 more pounds to fight GSP at WW. I think that is a terrible thing for Ando to do and he's putting himself at a disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
              30 Second of fighting out of 25 minutes is not going for the kill IMO...
              True, I just feel Ando should have finished him. It was different from the Leitas fight because Leitas just went to the ground on his own where as Maia got put on the mat with those leg kicks. The Ando showboating to me wasn't distasteful or funny, I just thought it was really bizarre. What bothered me is when he ran away from Maia after Maia tagged him in the late rounds. After that there should be no disputes of Ando being better than Fedor. Not only would Fedor try to finish off a BJJ practitioner but he'd go to the ground as well. I guess all in all I was more impressed by Maia than Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rabbit Punch- View Post
                I agree 100 percent and GSP should be ****ting his pants if this was a MW fight. The thing is, Ando at 34 is going to cut 15 more pounds to fight GSP at WW. I think that is a terrible thing for Ando to do and he's putting himself at a disadvantage.
                the weight drain for silva to come down to 170 would really starch him. the spider walks around at 230 lbs, he's 35 now, a bad age to cutting so much weight. if he does this, GSP beats him, it'll be easier to take down a tired and weight drained spider than a 185 lb silva. at 170 lbs, silva would be giving Ground St. Pound the best win of his career, so i hope the fight happens.

it'd be funny also if edgar beat penn again in a rematch

Comment

Working...
                X