No announcement yet.

The top 15 GREATEST BOXERS OF ALL TIME

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The top 15 GREATEST BOXERS OF ALL TIME

Who are the best boxers of all time? I have compiled a list of boxer’s based on their boxing ability, what they achieved in the sport, and how they conducted themselves in and out of the ring. I have put why I rate them so highly also. It is so hard to because every time you think you have it right, you go down the list and pretty much every fighter in their prime – you think “ he could have beaten him” I have decided on this list, and that is that, and it is based on pound for pound credibility’s basically.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson – Had it all, could defend, could attack, and could do anything.
    2) Muhammad Ali – Has to be right up there, could be below Robinson, or could be below Leonard, but I have him second.
    3) Rocky Marciano, - I think to retire undefeated in an era that was so hard, especially as a 5”10 Heavyweight was amazing, what a KO percentage – 87.75.
    4) Sugar ray Leonard - Some of you will think he should be higher, but I think I have him about right.
    5) Oscar De La Hoya – I think he has to be there, he has fought the best, and is one of the best. Goes in for a battle comes out usually unmarked having won. In his day could have beat all of these above him. I could have had him higher. In fact looking at it, he could be as high as number 3 really.
    6) Roy Jones Jnr – His record speaks for itself, multiple weight champions, still going today.
    7) Floyd Mayweather – People will argue this one to the hilt. But I say this – he has beat De la Hoya, Hatton, Judah etc, he could have fought in any era, a top class fighter.
    8) Jack Dempsey – Probably one of the most popular fighters of all, again KO’s were amazing.
    9) Joe Frazier – beat Ali, says it all really, lost to only Foreman & Ali, and that speaks for itself.
    10) Joe Louis – Held the heavy weight title for 11 years, before retiring after being KO by Rocky Marciano, which happened a lot to everyone else so.
    11) Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe if can beat him, Joe calzaghe ranked alongside him. Hopkins because of his stature within the fighting world, and his ability to move up the weights and win world titles. But I think that if Calzaghe beats him then he can be here – has been champion for over 10 years. His actual ability is up there with Ali, his hand speed, tactical boxing brain and ability to take a punch. I believe he could have fought in any era, pitty he could not have fought with Leonard.
    12) Evander Holyfield – A brilliant boxer, who had a brilliant career, wins over the likes of Tyson, Holmes & Foreman cement his position here amongst the greats.
    13) Mike Tyson – To win the world heavy weight crown at 20 is one hell of an achievement, but outside influences destroyed what could have been the best of all time.
    14) Jake La Motta – Some amongst us probably think he should not be here and those below that are mentioned should be, but I put him here for pure reputation inside and outside the boxing ring.
    15) Jack Johnson – The first black heavyweight, in an era that was hard, very hard and known fro brutality inside the ring as well as outside on the streets. A top class boxer, with a good heart.

Honorable mentions for their ability and what they bought to the sport.

Tommy Hearn’s, Marvin Haggler, Jimmy Wilde, Ricky Hatton (had to I’m British), George Foreman. Lennox Lewis, Henry Armstrong, Larry Holmes, Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan, Henry Cooper.
    Last edited by teamwork7; 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM.

Originally posted by teamwork7 View Post
    Who are the best boxers of all time? I have compiled a list of boxer’s based on their boxing ability, what they achieved in the sport, and how they conducted themselves in and out of the ring. I have put why I rate them so highly also. It is so hard to because every time you think you have it right, you go down the list and pretty much every fighter in their prime – you think “ he could have beaten him” I have decided on this list, and that is that, and it is based on pound for pound credibility’s basically.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson – Had it all, could defend, could attack, and could do anything.
    2) Muhammad Ali – Has to be right up there, could be below Robinson, or could be below Leonard, but I have him second.
    3) Rocky Marciano, - I think to retire undefeated in an era that was so hard, especially as a 5”10 Heavyweight was amazing, what a KO percentage – 87.75.
    4) Sugar ray Leonard - Some of you will think he should be higher, but I think I have him about right.
    5) Oscar De La Hoya – I think he has to be there, he has fought the best, and is one of the best. Goes in for a battle comes out usually unmarked having won. In his day could have beat all of these above him. I could have had him higher. In fact looking at it, he could be as high as number 3 really.
    6) Roy Jones Jnr – His record speaks for itself, multiple weight champions, still going today.
    7) Floyd Mayweather – People will argue this one to the hilt. But I say this – he has beat De la Hoya, Hatton, Judah etc, he could have fought in any era, a top class fighter.
    8) Jack Dempsey – Probably one of the most popular fighters of all, again KO’s were amazing.
    9) Joe Frazier – beat Ali, says it all really, lost to only Foreman & Ali, and that speaks for itself.
    10) Joe Louis – Held the heavy weight title for 11 years, before retiring after being KO by Rocky Marciano, which happened a lot to everyone else so.
    11) Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe if can beat him, Joe calzaghe ranked alongside him. Hopkins because of his stature within the fighting world, and his ability to move up the weights and win world titles. But I think that if Calzaghe beats him then he can be here – has been champion for over 10 years. His actual ability is up there with Ali, his hand speed, tactical boxing brain and ability to take a punch. I believe he could have fought in any era, pitty he could not have fought with Leonard.
    12) Evander Holyfield – A brilliant boxer, who had a brilliant career, wins over the likes of Tyson, Holmes & Foreman cement his position here amongst the greats.
    13) Mike Tyson – To win the world heavy weight crown at 20 is one hell of an achievement, but outside influences destroyed what could have been the best of all time.
    14) Jake La Motta – Some amongst us probably think he should not be here and those below that are mentioned should be, but I put him here for pure reputation inside and outside the boxing ring.
    15) Jack Johnson – The first black heavyweight, in an era that was hard, very hard and known fro brutality inside the ring as well as outside on the streets. A top class boxer, with a good heart.

Tommy Hearn’s, Marvin Haggler, Jimmy Wilde, Ricky Hatton (had to I’m British), George Foreman. Lennox Lewis, Henry Armstrong, Larry Holmes, Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan, Henry Cooper.
    Wheres, Ricardo Lopez, Herny Armstrong, Willie Pep, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Benny Leonard, Jimmy Wilde etc ?? im sorry but i think is a bad list.

Comment

teamwork 7 must be pinoy. putting pacquiao ahead of roberto duran, ricardo lopez and julio cesar chavez jr.? hell, putting pacquiao in this short list is also laughable. pacquiao doesn't belong in the top 100 all-time lists anyways. maybe 150 and beyond but definitely not top 100!

Comment

Originally posted by milmascaras View Post
        teamwork 7 must be pinoy. putting pacquiao ahead of roberto duran, ricardo lopez and julio cesar chavez jr.? hell, putting pacquiao in this short list is also laughable. pacquiao doesn't belong in the top 100 all-time lists anyways. maybe 150 and beyond but definitely not top 100!
        Like it says under his username, he is an amateur! He's probably a boy around 13 years old. As for your assessment of the Pacman, I think you're exaggerating to make a point. Any current top 10 p4p today could be on the outer fringes (90's) of the all-time top 100.

Comment

1.robinson
          greb
          armstrong
          langford
          r.leonard
          duran
          arguello
          whitaker
          b.leonard
          benitez
          sanchez
          ali
          louis
          chavez
          ortiz.
          Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by teamwork7 View Post

Unbelievably inconsistent list. Laughable really, including the honorable mention. Henry Cooper?

1. Ray Robinson
            2. Harry Greb
            3. Henry Armstrong
            4. Sam Langford
            5. Muhammad Ali
            6. Ezzard Charles
            7. Roberto Duran
            8. Ray Leonard
            9. Barney Ross
            10. Pernell Whitaker
            11. Benny Leonard
            12. Willie Pep
            13. Joe Louis
            14. Mickey Walker
            15. Bob Fitzsimmons

HM: Joe Gans, Archie Moore, Carlos Monzon, Marvin Hagler, Tony Canzoneri, Julio Cesar Chavez, Sandy Saddler, Gene Tunney, Alexis Arguello, Eder Jofre, Roy Jones Jr. etc.
            Last edited by Sweet Pete; 12-16-2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ANTONIM View Post
              1.robinson
              greb
              armstrong
              langford
              r.leonard
              duran
              arguello
              whitaker
              b.leonard
              benitez
              sanchez
              ali
              louis
              chavez
              ortiz.
              Not bad, but even if you like Benitez a lot, he can't be that high, neither really can Sanchez, unless you're going off potential. Otherwise some good choices in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                Not bad, but even if you like Benitez a lot, he can't be that high, neither really can Sanchez, unless you're going off potential. Otherwise some good choices in there.
                ive got them there based on what they did at a young age.i know it seems presumptuous to think what they could've been only if........benitez was a triple crown winner by the time he was 23,sanchez beat gomez who is legendary as well,and nelson who was great too,and died at 23.

Comment

Originally posted by ANTONIM View Post
                  ive got them there based on what they did at a young age.i know it seems presumptuous to think what they could've been only if........benitez was a triple crown winner by the time he was 23,sanchez beat gomez who is legendary as well,and nelson who was great too,and died at 23.
                  It makes much more sense with Sanchez, as he could've been so much more had death not stopped him. Nothing stopped Benitez, he was just past it by 23, nobody's fault but his.

Comment

Thread maker, no offense, but your list is absolute **** and I've now decided to completely disregard your opinion on everything for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X