Collapse
No announcement yet.

WM's Training Log

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight is my actual first contact sparring session. I don't know how they are going to run it so I have no idea what to expect. In lives past I've sparred, but that was long long ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Comment

First Contact Sparring Session: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=771592

Comment

Headgear - https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=771651

Comment

Getting it wrong at times: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=771850

Comment

One of the keys to my progression as a boxer is making sure I jab until the cows come home. Smartly, of course. You may say "Duh, the jab is the foundation for everybody, you idiot!" and I really couldn't argue with you. However, for me personally on this Fight Night, it's more important than most of the other fighters. I'm slower, less experienced, less conditioned, and taller. I'm working on ALL aspects that need improvement but the reality is, I need to use my height and reach to jab them into submission.

This I already knew.

Of course on my first live sparring, that "I knew this..." went right out the window. Well today my boxing coach not only brought it back in the window, he made it at place a the dinner table, made ME cook it dinner, and then let it sit in my favorite chair and use the remote. It immediately switched the channel to Lifetime Movie Network just to taunt me.

I jabbed and jabbed and on and on until I hallucinated and saw Jabber Jaw across from me, bobbing and weaving and saying "Nyuck nyuck nyuck!" as I wildly missed. I hate that stupid shark.

My left shoulder is hurting. Not injury hurting, but "push it real good!" hurting. Tomorrow is going to be interesting. I'm going to have to get my own intern just to open doors and brush my teeth.

Today is Monday. On Tuesday I’ll do active rest to include shadowboxing. Wednesday is a mitts class, Thursday more active rest, and then Friday will be live sparring.

Progress is all I require of myself. To do that I need to make sure my week is smartly planned. To do too much is going backward, and I’ve had enough of that.

I’m going to need a bigger boat.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

In terms of getting leaner, whats your diet like? As you eating in a calorie deficit? Keeping protein and carbs highish for recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by DanUK94 View Post
                In terms of getting leaner, whats your diet like? As you eating in a calorie deficit? Keeping protein and carbs highish for recovery?
                Calorie deficient for sure, but not severe. I keep the carbs lower and try to play games with that, which is always risky.

I've slowed my weight loss to give priority to training, but will still want to make progress. Some of the weight loss will take care of itself if I eat clean, which is ok. It will extend the date I'll hit where I want to be, but that's ok. I'd rather make sure I'm ready for Fight Night than come in leaner and take a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
                  Calorie deficient for sure, but not severe. I keep the carbs lower and try to play games with that, which is always risky.

I've slowed my weight loss to give priority to training, but will still want to make progress. Some of the weight loss will take care of itself if I eat clean, which is ok. It will extend the date I'll hit where I want to be, but that's ok. I'd rather make sure I'm ready for Fight Night than come in leaner and take a beating.
                  For macros I'd aim for about 0.8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, just to make sure you're recovering your muscles after training and not losing muscle tissue too.

Fats at around 0.3-0.4g per lb of bodyweight, depending on preference.

Rest of calories I'd make up with carbs, ideally the majority of these timed around your training pre and post to fuel your workouts and recover

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                    Yes! Training blogs would be cool! (If this site had a dedicated section for training blogs, it would be ideal!)..
                    2nd this

Comment

Originally posted by DanUK94 View Post
                      For macros I'd aim for about 0.8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, just to make sure you're recovering your muscles after training and not losing muscle tissue too.

Fats at around 0.3-0.4g per lb of bodyweight, depending on preference.

Rest of calories I'd make up with carbs, ideally the majority of these timed around your training pre and post to fuel your workouts and recover

Just my 2 cents
                      Pre and post workout is when I do ensure carbs are taken in. Otherwise they sneak in with the rest of my food here and there. Also I use a few recovery supplements that I am very pleased with.

Comment

Working...
                      X