Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when a bum approaches you and asks for money?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
    Some of them are former psychiatric patients who have had their brains ruined by thorazine and electric shock treatments.

I pity them, so I'll give them money.

Others are crackheads, meth heads and drunkards.

I won't give those people any money.
    Crazies look exactly like J's tho.

Comment

Originally posted by HiLo Rudyo! View Post
      Crazies look exactly like J's tho.
      Most are not really crazy, they are just ordinary people who have been disabled by shock treatment and the phenothiazines. They appear very passive, rather zombie-like.

Drug addicts actually appear more crazy, and are often hyper-active. They are very different than released former long-term psychiatric patients.

If I have any doubts, I'll ask them. If they say they are former mental patients, I'll give them money.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Most are not really crazy, they are just ordinary people who have been disabled by shock treatment and the phenothiazines. They appear very passive, rather zombie-like.

Drug addicts actually appear more crazy, and are often hyper-active. They are very different than released former long-term psychiatric patients.

If I have any doubts, I'll ask them. If they say they are former mental patients, I'll give them money.
        This guy probably starts sweating like a scared little hoe that he is, rolls up his window quick, dials 911 and speeds away. Then later tries to tell his KKK buddies how he fought away a robber LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
          A lot of bums walk up to me and ask for change. I used to give spare change to this homeless woman at the parking lot of a grocery store. But then she kept coming back and asking me for more and more change, being a total shameless freeloader. She would approach me energetically like "Can I have seventy-five cents please, baby?"

It got to the point where I just said no.

At first she asked humbly, as though she had dignity. But she showed her true colors after a while.

Do you give money to homeless people?

Personally, I feel many bums are exaggerating their helplessness and have no intentions on improving their situation just so they can acquire handouts. They're just freeloaders. I'm not saying I will never give money to a homeless person; it's just that some bums are shady. Also I don't like being approached, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Bums ruin it for everybody. Where I live you can't even enjoy the park because there are so many disgusting smelly bums there who litter liquor bottles on the grass and make the place smell nasty like urine and cigarette.

Additionally, what do you do when you are exiting a freeway and there's a bum standing at the end of the exit seeking handouts? That annoys the hell out of me.

I give them azz pennies. You have a few in your pocket now!

https://vimeo.com/108626411

Comment

I generally don't carry cash or change with me and tell them that. There has been a few times where they were real polite and said thank you anyways and sincerely said have a nice day and when I got to my car I went back and gave then a couple bucks in change from out of my car. But never if they were pushy.

Comment

Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
              My wife was telling me that one time a guy (didn't look homeless) had flip phone "talking" to someone on it, pretending to be stuck at a gas station and kept repeating his same "yo I'm here at the gas station off so and so street, and I don't have any gas or money", loud enough for anyone that passed by to hear him, feel sorry for him and give him money. He had his girl in the car she looked all methed out with sores and crap all over her face.

I remember a while back my boss and I went to a job site to look over some floor plans at a building that was being constructed, with the construction foreman, and there was a hispanic dude with one arm working there. He was carrying a long stick and would put paint cans on it, 4-5 cans at a time, balance them on his shoulder and take them to different people. We asked his boss what's up with him, he said he wanted to work, they gave him a shot and works his ass off.

Since then, my mind of thought is you're well enough to be begging for money, you're well enough to work. That dude with one arm, pretty sure was illegal, was working his ass off, so I don't want to hear sob stories, I don't care for them, I've heard them all and they're all the same.
              Yeah, its sad as hell that one armed Hispanic dudes willbne out there sweating and working their azzes off, while a lot of what appear to be able bodied but lazy white dudes and black dudes cant do anything more than hold a sign or run a scam. I live in Richmond, Va and can't really think of seeing many Hispanic guys panhandling. There are some people who really have had a hard time, but there seems to be so many hustlers and scam artists out there. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                Yeah, its sad as hell that one armed Hispanic dudes willbne out there sweating and working their azzes off, while a lot of what appear to be able bodied but lazy white dudes and black dudes cant do anything more than hold a sign or run a scam. I live in Richmond, Va and can't really think of seeing many Hispanic guys panhandling. There are some people who really have had a hard time, but there seems to be so many hustlers and scam artists out there. Sad.
                There's also a Muslim family that live close to me that pan handle. I've never seen anything like it before, the husband, wife, kid and baby in a stroller are always in different street corners pan handling, and also hang out at supermarkets in front of the stores panhandling.

I say they live close to us because I always see them coming out of the same street. I gave them money once when I was leaving the supermarket the very first time I saw them. But my wife told me they were career panhandlers. Sure enough since then, I've seen them more and more at different spots.

Comment

This thread is interesting to me because this is something I encounter at least 5 times a day. If I am downtown exclusively the number rises to about 10.

Once in a while I give, most of the time I don't. I tend to look at people's shoes and clothes and general mental health in making the determination or if I am busy I am very guilty of ignoring people. I ignore people a lot.

If I think it's a hustle, generally i cut them off and say "We can talk about anything you like as long as it doesn't have to do with money". Or "I don't carry cash" (which is true a lot of the time).

In my city, I saw an influx of homeless people when they shut down a lot of the mental health facilities in recent years. Much more than I have ever seen before.

Keep the responses coming!
                  Last edited by jreckoning; 08-28-2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X