No announcement yet.

Biggest career transformations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Obviously very recent but the first one that actually came to my mind was Floyd Mayweather Jr decideing to stop throwing combintions when he moved to 147.
    I dont think that counts as a transformation personally. Mayweather still has the ability to throw combinations, and still will when he gets the opportunity. but a lot of the time he cant risk it because of the opponent type. He wasnt throwing combos against Castillo either, and that was a while back before 147.

its more of a style matchup thing than a career transformation, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      What fighters changed drastically from one style to another during their career? I dont mean along the lines of them becoming shot, but as in the changed their style and were equally as successful past prime as they were pre prime.

Ill go ahead and mention Barrera. Was rewatching his old war against Kennady McKinney, and the guy was just a brutal brawler. compare that to his technical war against Marquez, its a huge change. yet both those versions of him were still very good. I think his transformation started in motion after the Junior Jones fights, where he learned to have a lot better defense and started gaining a lot more boxing ability.

any other good ones? and go ahead and name when you think they started to change, if you have any idea.
      excellent example... watching the barrera in the mckinney fight then the barrera in the 2nd juarez fight is like watching two totally different fighters...

Comment

I dont think that counts as a transformation personally. Mayweather still has the ability to throw combinations, and still will when he gets the opportunity. but a lot of the time he cant risk it because of the opponent type. He wasnt throwing combos against Castillo either, and that was a while back before 147.

its more of a style matchup thing than a career transformation, imo.
        We will never see Mayweather throw combinations like he did vs Augustus or Gatti ever again.

He could have against Baldomir, Marquez, Mosley, Judah and possibly got them out of there.

He just doesn't really throw combinations anymore.

I get what you're saying, though.

Comment

We will never see Mayweather throw combinations like he did vs Augustus or Gatti ever again.

He could have against Baldomir, Marquez, Mosley, Judah and possibly got them out of there.

He just doesn't really throw combinations anymore.

I get what you're saying, though.
          While I agree we probably wont see Mayweather throw those kind of combos again, he still has the potential to if he were to fight someone lower calibur without much defense. probably also someone who didnt pose too much of an offensive risk either, like Alfonso Gomez.

but, I have seen a change in Mayweathers style over the years, although not as drastic as someone like Barrera.

Comment

What fighters changed drastically from one style to another during their career? I dont mean along the lines of them becoming shot, but as in the changed their style and were equally as successful past prime as they were pre prime.

Ill go ahead and mention Barrera. Was rewatching his old war against Kennady McKinney, and the guy was just a brutal brawler. compare that to his technical war against Marquez, its a huge change. yet both those versions of him were still very good. I think his transformation started in motion after the Junior Jones fights, where he learned to have a lot better defense and started gaining a lot more boxing ability.

any other good ones? and go ahead and name when you think they started to change, if you have any idea.

Matthew Saad Muhammad. Earlier in his career he was a counter puncher/boxer with a very good jab. I've read that it all changed after the first Marvin Johnson fight. Also, Arturo Gatti became much more of a boxer when he started working with Buddy McGirt. I think it prolonged his career. Also Humberto Gonzalez went from power punching slugger to boxer after getting knocked out by Michael Carbajal. It worked in his favor when he outboxed Carbajal twice in rematches. Barrera is probably the best example.

Comment

Early on, pre his KO losses Wladamir Klitschko was alot more agressive and pushed the fight more. He didn't seem to fight as upright or as cautious.

Now a days he likes to be very cagey and figure his opponent out, work behind his jab and get him down the stretch. Which has made him a much more difficult fighter to beat.

Comment

yup, Foreman also changed up to that cross armed block which was a pretty big change.

I sort always just jump at the opportunity to say that Foreman wasnt always a wild crude brawler, because in some of his fights he was more controlled and would set up his shots.
                Hehehe

Obviously very recent but the first one that actually came to my mind was Floyd Mayweather Jr decideing to stop throwing combintions when he moved to 147.
                He definitely changed when moving up. I think it had a lot to do with those hands.

A lot of people say Barrera bbut he seemed to go back and forth with his style and always did. I lean more towards Marquez. I never thought I'd see the day when he'd rather just fight it out like a dog. But lately he has been wide open. Also Gatti was a good example but it probably hurt him to try and be the boxer against Floyd. Against most though it made me really proud of his transformation.

Comment

Joe calzaghe. Early in his career he hit pretty hard and could get you outta there but as his hands got worse he started slapping people and throwing tons of punches

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez really switched it up and turned FIGHTER over the last few years, Guy was a Warrior in a boxers skin now he's just flat out Warrior although a highly skilled warrior

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned Cotto yet. Although it's still a work in progress, he has shifted from a pressure fighter/body snatcher to a more refined boxer under Manny Steward.

Comment

Working...
                      X