Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are black US boxers held to a higher standard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
    i think a far bigger problem is you whining about race and boxing. there's racial problems, but its not in boxing.

berto made 900k for fighting freddie hernandez. dawson gets millions to fight and cant draw more than 300 people to a fight. i think blacks are treated just fine in boxing. name a white or mexican or rican fighter that draws NOTHING and gets paid like that

im sure danny jacobs will be alright, he's with gb, he'll get plenty of chances

check, you're full of shi t.

as far as pirog goes, it was his style and performance, who else has that mix of style (only top fighters) - very few have d and o like that
    Why? I think my points are spot on. Which do you not agree with?

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
      Good points! Let me give you another example...

Maidana, opts out of a fight with Bradley, loses to Khan, fights dirty against a legend like Morales... and he still gets huge plaudits all round.
      That's not a very good example. Maidana was criticised by a number of people for not fighting Bradley, he rightly received plaudits for a FOTY worthy effort against Khan, and the reviews from his fight against Morales have hardly been exclusively positive in his favour.

At any rate, you seem sort of obsessed with this race stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom!
        They like ****sexuals. Paulie sucks, but with his dreadlocks and other silly behavior, he fits in well with their extreme liberal agenda.
        I think you are looking too deep into this. Paulie is an entertainer and that's why he gets put on. I really don't think it's an agenda at all. Just like I think the reason why some European fighters don't get shown on HBO is simply a money issue, not skin. HBO is a company and its job is to make the most money and invest in fighters that would bring them the most money. HBO isn't here to police the sport of boxing or make sure it is rewarding the fighters that deserve it most. It's life and this is just a fact of life.

Comment

If a White boxer gets KOed like that, he's forever ridiculed: Tye Fields.
          Heh. Tye Fields is forever ridiculed because he's, you know, Tye Fields - a joke of a fighter - not because he's white. Willie Pep was white and also stopped more than once. I'm pretty sure he's not forever ridiculed.

Comment

I don't but alot of people do. Guys like SRR, Louis, Johnson, Ali, SRL, etc set the standard, its kinda hard to live up to something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
              Why? I think my points are spot on. Which do you not agree with?
              1) the paulie thing

2) blacks are the most hated fighters

paulie is on all the time because he brings viewership and people to the fights. he created himself and worked hard to do it...which brings me to number two.

berto and dawson did NOTHING to bring their riches. they have no fans and get no ratings. they can't draw shi t in their own hometowns.

and finally the jacobs and kirkland thing. those two (especially jacobs) were given everything. jacobs was signed to GB before he beat anyone. black fighters are coddled here because of their high expectations.

Comment

Wlad Klitschko won just ONE fight by decision in the past 5 years (Ibragimov) and people are STILL ****ting on him because of it.

Pirog won his last fight by decision, and now a lot of people are saying he's not really any good.

White boxers need to win every fight by KO or the racist slimebags will be ****ting on them. They are held to different, ridiculously high standard.
                Did you not have a go Mayweather for not KO'ing Mosley...do you really want me to bring up that thread.....

Comment

No they arent,all fighters have haters

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
                    I've got nothing but pure respect for a guy like Sergio Martinez, but it's arguable that Timothy Bradley has a similar if not better resume, yet is not propped up as much as him.
                    It's likely that there is an element, to whatever degree, of successful white fighters receiving wider mainstream support than equally successful black fighters. It's not necessarily the simple, clear-cut case of racism that you'd like it to be however, as there are cultural elements involved, such as people being able to relate to, and therefore more likely to support, those with similar backgrounds to themselves.

Again, however, the example you've put forward is immediately flawed, considering that Martinez clearly has a more crowd pleasing style than does Bradley. He has also won his most recent fights in resounding fashion, whereas Bradley certainly has not.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                      1) the paulie thing

2) blacks are the most hated fighters

paulie is on all the time because he brings viewership and people to the fights. he created himself and worked hard to do it...which brings me to number two.

berto and dawson did NOTHING to bring their riches. they have no fans and get no ratings. they can't draw shi t in their own hometowns.

and finally the jacobs and kirkland thing. those two (especially jacobs) were given everything. jacobs was signed to GB before he beat anyone. black fighters are coddled here because of their high expectations.
                      Paulie is indeed an entertainer and that's why he gets shown on HBO but I don't believe that is the only reason he is on the network. Tunney's argument was that HBO isn't interested in white americans and said that Bradley wouldn't of made it to HBO had he been white and pointed out one of the reason why was because of lack of power. Paulie made the network and he's white and has very little power. Yes, the entertaining factor does play a big role as to why he gets many HBO fights but lets be honest I doubt Paulie first time on HBO was because he had a crazy personality. Whites can certainly get on HBO, even feather fisted ones.

As for the other points. Yes, some blacks are coddled but same could be said about Eastern European fighters, who could be considered babied more than blacks. Jacobs had the contract with GB but he was thrown in with Pirog at 22 years old. Yes, you could argue that it was because GB was showcasing Jacobs and Pirog was an afterthought but it doesn't change the fact that Pirog won and is now looked at as one of the best fighters in that division. I wouldn't considered that being coddled. What about Devon Alexander, Adrien Broner, Mike Jones etc etc all these guys are fighting top fighters at a very young age while a lot of Eastern European fighters are either fighting lackluster opponents or staying in the AMs till they are very seasoned and nearing their 30th birthdays.

For the Berto and Dawson point, you're right but they are looked at as an investment. I have no problem with HBO putting stock into young blacks because that is the fighter the American fight fan wants to see(if he accomplishes something of substance the ppv numbers/viewership don't lie throughout the years).

Comment

Working...
                      X