No announcement yet.

Underappreciated fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underappreciated fighters

and by this I dont mean guys like Guzman, who have a lot of talent but have yet to do much with it. I mean guys that have really left their mark on boxing, but never seem to get mentioned alongside other ATGs for one reason or another.

Antonio Cervantes 91-12-3
    power punching Columbian with wins over Nicolino Locche and Esteban DeJesus. Defeneded his title 16 times and was one of the most accomplished 140lbers of all time. Also dropped Aaron Pryor in the 1st round, despite being 35years old and a bit past his best.

Carlos Ortiz 61-7-1
    former Lightweight and Light Welterweight champ, had wins over Flash Elorde and Ismael Laguna, among others. One of the most accomplished champs at 135lbs of all time and one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever.

Jose Napoles 79-7-0
    The Cuban-Mexican Welterweight champ of the world, who had wins over Curtis Cokes and Emile Griffith. One of the best fighters youll ever see at 147lbs. 15 successful title fights at Welterweight.

oh, and mind you, these guys above are ones that actually held real belts. they didnt just hang on to one of the alphabet belts and sit on a 1/4 portion of it making mediocre titles defences, these were really considered that top fighters in the division.

Virgil Hill 50-7-0

Although he only held a part of an alphabet belt, he was considered the #1 guy in the division for years and fought some pretty quality fighters during the time. He had a huge amount of title defences, something around 20, and won the title 3 times. He even was still a top fighter at Cruiserweight for some time, even at 42 years old. pretty darn good, if you ask me.

Daniel Zaragoza

Chris Eubank

Comment

Michael carbajal dude is one of the all time greats in his div and of course the chiquita fights

Comment

Brian Mitchell

Ultimate Road warrior, one loss, never lost his titles in the ring.

Comment

Dick Tiger
          Eder Jofre
          Miguel Canto

and from recent fighters I'd say Johnny Tapia's kind of underrated

Comment

good ones, yall. Im surprised theres so many smart responses in this thread, Im impressed.

Comment

Nicolino Locche the best defencive fighter of all time.

Comment

Chiquita Gonzales
                Mike McCallum
                Carl Thompson
                Sumbu Kalambay

Comment

Hmmm...a few smaller guys perhaps.

Alfredo Escalera

Vicente Saldivar

Mark Johnson

Jeff Chandler

Comment