Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kovalev This Generation's Thomas Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Kovalev This Generation's Thomas Hearns?

Their footwork, use of space and crushing right hands are very similar. I wouldn't be surprised of Sergey studied "The Hitman" quite a bit...

I'm a fan of both. Though their styles clearly reflect different backgrounds, they have a similar mentality; fast jab to open up the brutal right hand. Aggressive, but calculated forward movement that's never sloppy.

Comment

I thought this thread would be different. Like Hearns and Kovalev both had controversial descisions go against them in big fights and that they were overshadowed by other stars in the sport.

But it was about the big right hand(s)..

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I'm a fan of both. Though their styles clearly reflect different backgrounds, they have a similar mentality; fast jab to open up the brutal right hand. Aggressive, but calculated forward movement that's never sloppy.
        I agree. I could only see the difference between Hearns and Kovalev is when Hearns sometimes telegraph his punches, especially his straight right hand where he will hold up his left hand on your face or shoulder while his right hand hold up at the rear. It does massive damage to the opponent, mostly knocking them out but it is easily avoidable.

Comment

they got really similar jabs and outside work but that's where it ends .

Comment

Thomas Hearn's was naturally more of a aggressive fighter, up against Andre Ward for some reason Kovalev switched off during the last 6 rounds! he could of won that fight even more profoundly!

He seems very one paced, sometimes in boxing you need gears!

Also Kovalev's inside game is lacking ever so slightly, he needs to fight at a distance or mid-range to be effective!

(Overall though he is very good fighter technically, there are no really massive flaws in his game! just levels)...

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              Their footwork, use of space and crushing right hands are very similar. I wouldn't be surprised of Sergey studied "The Hitman" quite a bit...
              Nothing similar about them...not even close.

Hearns put people to sleep..
              He laid ATG Duran out.

You can't name a single ATG level guy Kovalev fought...much less KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                Nothing similar about them...not even close.

Hearns put people to sleep..
                He laid ATG Duran out.

You can't name a single ATG level guy Kovalev fought...much less KTFO.
                Very true. Hearns threw jabs like ATG's not some lunging lanky Euro Eastern conservative stuff... Hearns also threw graceful combinations.

can't believe these styles are even being compared

Comment

........" but it is easily avoidable"................hahahaha!

Yeah when you watch it on video and play it back a million times!
                  Try standing in front of it and see how EASY it is to see.
                  One of the dumbest comments ever on here!

Koval is not on the same level with Hearns, Koval has a few more years to become a better fighter but waiting around for Ward is not the right plan. Get some pressure on Duva to spend some of the money they acquired backing fighters and pay Ward what he wants or at least up the offer so negotiations begin .

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless
                    Hearns had explosive power. I don't really see that from Kovalev.
                    Explosive power and an ATG resume.

Comment

Working...
                    X