Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does a boxer become a journeyman??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after 1 loss according to 90% of the idiots that post here.

Comment

ex; Joe Strong has the best explanation on this thread so far.

Also his examples are pretty good too!
      I know something about this topics because as a very young trainer I got valuable corner time handling a matchmakers stable of journeymen fighters.
      The pro journeyman will give the opponent rounds and will show some style and form. They are most times successful amateurs who move from 170 to 210+ because the money is better in against prospects than being a local or regional talent. If your 6'2"+ you can make a decent buck but you must be aware who your in with and if they can punch or your going to get hurt. Years ago a tko stops you from earning for 30 to 60 days. A real KO can be as high as 90 days, you can't earn like that. Different names going to different states and knowing how to pass exams is as important as the ring!

The best heavyweight journeymen are guys who appear to be fighting hard but have no power.
      I remember Mel Epps who fought locally from Philly to Maine and then went on to international bouts and faced Wlad and a few other contenders.
      The matchmaker has to bring the guy back home and add a few wins on his record so that up coming bouts don't show he's lost his last 15!!!!

The old timers I handled taught me a lot about pace and clinching they knew 3 minutes to the second and most actually cared about the young men they were fighting as is they were their mentors. They actually were to be truthful a solid jouneymen could teach a young fighter more in 4 or 6 rounds than 6 months in the gym.

Another good heavyweight was Whimpy Halstead, I had him in my gym in the early 80's as a lightheavy weight. Years later he shows up at over 220 fighting all the up and coming guys.
      I remember him spinning a young Duke Morrison around for a few rounds before "ducking out"! Whimpy was a character.
      It comes down to knowing how to lose without stinking out the house! If you can't master that you can fight for long as a true journeymen!

Ray
      Last edited by Ray Corso; 12-26-2016, 08:28 AM.

Comment

It depends on their roll in the sport more so than their record. If they're the sort of fighter who will step in the ring on short notice, for any type of fight, I would consider them a journeyman.

Comment

Working...
        X