Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on Holman Williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on Holman Williams?

For me he could be the best middleweight not to get a title shot. Your thoughts on williams?

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    For me he could be the best middleweight not to get a title shot. Your thoughts on williams?
    I cant say i know enough about him. I do know that he did beat Archie Moore once and i think he lost once to Moore, he beat Cocoa kid, but i think he lost to Lamotta? He also felt in several weight classes before going up to MW.

He probably didnt really get a real shot at MW title in his prime due to racial segregation in sports. I am not sure if it applied to him? But in that time many whites could duck blacks due to the segregation issue. So perhaps he was past his prime when he fought at MW?

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
      He beat a who's who of great black fighters from that era who were all frozen out of the title picture. Burley, Satterfield, Marshall, Booker, Wade, Lytell, Chase, Cocoa Kid and Moore were guys he fought multiple times. He also fought and beat Jose Basora, Izzy Janazzo and had a very close fight with Marcel Cerdan. If Williams had power he may very well have gone down as one of the greatest middleweights ever. As it stands he's probably a top 15 or 20 middleweight all time, if not higher.

Comment

Working...
      X