Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this proof Mikey Garcia ducked Loma, in contrast to "choosing Spence over Loma"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this proof Mikey Garcia ducked Loma, in contrast to "choosing Spence over Loma"?

TL;DR version: I commend Mikey for fighting Spence, but that's irrelevant to the question of whether he ducked Loma or not, because the choice was never "Loma or Spence." There were always TWO choices. 1. "Do you want to fight Loma in your career?" and 2. "Do you want to fight Spence in your career?" Mikey said yes to 2 but no to 1. Why? Because as Mikey has said, he sees flaws in Spence that caused him to call for that fight. I guess he doesn't see flaws in Loma.

Fighting Spence was only a choice for Mikey until he decided he wanted to fight Spence in the future. At that point, the choice was already made, and Mikey could have gotten the Spence fight at any point in the next 2-3 years, before Spence moved up from 147. At that point, the only choice became, "Do I also want to fight Loma in my career, as well as Spence, or do I want to avoid Loma for all my career, and only fight Spence and whoever else?"

Because Loma's team has already said, 135 is his limit. He already moved up twice, in his late twenties at that when he was already fully grown, to chase Mikey Garcia. That should have been more than enough. Meanwhile Robert Garcia, Mikey's trainer and brother, said Mikey will never fight at 135 again after Spence, win or lose. So that means the moment Mikey chose to go to 147 to fight Spence, before taking care of business at 135 first with just one more fight, Mikey Garcia killed the Loma fight for good.

If you want to fight both Loma and Spence in your career, you fight Loma first at 135, then Spence at 147 after. If you don't want to fight Loma in your career, then you jump to 147 before fighting him, and have your team say you will never go back to 135, after you already heard Loma's team say 135 is his limit.

So it seems quite clear cut to me, actually. Mikey Garcia ducked Loma, which in hindsight, is not surprising, because both were at 126, Mikey moved up, Loma followed him to 130, Mikey basically retired, Loma followed him to 135, and now Mikey just said ***** it, if I go all the way to 147, he can't follow me anymore, because I am way bigger than him and the only reason we've even been in the same weight class repeatedly so far is because he fights at close to his natural weight while I drain down more than almost anyone in boxing to get an advantage. So I like Mikey as a fighter but I don't see how anyone can be a fan of his after this move. He blatantly ducked someone at least 20 pounds naturally smaller than him.
    Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-02-2019, 01:48 AM.

People are focusing on the size difference, but natural counterpunchers, especially with power, love fighting come forward fighters they can pick off. Why do you think Mikey never had any interest in fighting Crawford, either, when he was at Top Rank? Even getting him to fight Gamboa was like pulling teeth for Top Rank. Because those guys are fast. Those guys are slick, especially Crawford. Those guys can box off the back foot. They, and Loma, could do to Mikey what Floyd, Chris John, and Timothy Bradley did to Juan Manuel Marquez, the fighter most compared to Mikey Garcia. But a counter-puncher vs a slower (yes, Spence is slower. People keep misreporting that), come forward guy, even if he's bigger? That is a favorable style matchup for Mikey. But a counter puncher like Mikey vs faster, more agile, more skilled, even slicker counter punchers like Loma or Crawford? That's not a good matchup for Mikey outside of his puncher's chance, and apparently, he and his team know it.
    Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-02-2019, 01:28 AM.

Comment

You cant duck Loma to fight Spence... Come on now lol. That would be the dumbest way to duck a fight

Comment

Originally posted by boxinggod101 View Post
        You cant duck Loma to fight Spence... Come on now lol. That would be the dumbest way to duck a fight
        Read the OP please, that is literally the exact angle, the exact argument, that the OP addresses in detail, and in my opinion, completely disproves with very clear cut logic and statements from the fighters teams themselves.

Comment

One thing I agree with is he feels much more confident beating spence than beating lomo which is he took the fight first.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
            One thing I agree with is he feels much more confident beating spence than beating lomo which is he took the fight first.
            Appreciate you admitting that, and I agree, but that's my whole point. People keep saying "first," it looks a whole lot more to me like "only." He's not fighting Spence "first," then Loma, he is fighting "only" Spence, and Loma never. That's my point. That's what he chose. You have someone who already moved up two divisions to fight you specifically. You are both in the same weight class for the third *****ing time. He is calling you out. He has two belts, you have the other two. He wants to fight you for all four belts within a month's time of the date you chose to fight Spence on instead, so you wouldn't have even had to wait. You know, thanks to the fact he already had to move up two divisions to chase you, that this is the last chance to fight him, he cannot move up anymore, he is maxed out. You now have the choice to either fight him, and then go fight Spence or anyone else you want, whenever you want, or to move up without having fought him, and never fight him.

Mikey chose to never fight him. How can a duck be any more of a duck than that? Someone moves up two separate times to fight you, he calls you out, he has two belts, but you still won't fight him, and you made it official, and final, by finally moving up so far before fighting him that he can no longer reach you. The way you fooled the ways into backing your choice to fight Spence at 147 before Loma in your own weight class was by telling them you would come back to 135 after to fight Loma, but if your trainer is to be believed, that was a lie just to fool them.
            Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-02-2019, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Mikey been wanting Loma, first loma said he wasnt ready, then when it was clear that figth can happen bob arum started yapping saying the figth will never happen cause it will be like pacquaio vs mayweather all over again, arum called mikey stupid, arum said he will offer mikey pennies and either he accepts or dont he dgaf, thats why mikey has always said arum will never deal with him, so instead of begging and bending backward to face someone that is under control of someone who hates you when you can just keep on moving and face better fighters.

Comment

Ducked a 135lb fight to challenge a MW bogeyman? GTFO noob...
                Last edited by Redd Foxx; 01-02-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                  Read the OP please, that is literally the exact angle, the exact argument, that the OP addresses in detail, and in my opinion, completely disproves with very clear cut logic and statements from the fighters teams themselves.
                  Oh lol...I got to admit I didnt read... But yeah hes right than

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                    I don't care what OP said.

If Mikey loses to Loma the fight with Spence is gone.

If Mikey loses to Spence the fight with Loma is still there.

It's not any more complicated than that. Mikey is a prize fighter and he's fighting to maximine his prize.

Comment

Working...
                    X