Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Mccallum against today's jnr. middles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Mayweather and Lara might cause him some problems. He'd get the better of Lara though, not entirely sure about Mayweather. He'd certainly outclass Canelo.
    Mayweather is certainly skilled enough to hold his own with McCallum, but I just don't think he is big enough. McCallum never looked undersized, even at 175.

Comment

That piston like jab would be a problem for all of them, and body punches would tear them apart, because he has power, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Mayweather is certainly skilled enough to hold his own with McCallum, but I just don't think he is big enough. McCallum never looked undersized, even at 175.
        True but Kalambay, who wasn't a big middleweight, used his speed and defensive skills to outclass McCallum in their first encounter so it seems conceivable to me that despite McCallum's size that Mayweather could decision him. Then again the Mayweather who has fought at 154 is the current version of Mayweather and I have a feeling that he is a lot more beatable right now than people are making out.

Comment

McCallum vs Julian Jackson, Aug. 23, 1986.

At the time, Jackson was an unknown, and we expected an easy defense for Mike.
          And as we got the result, Mike winner in two rounds, we didn’t flinch an eye.

We didn’t realize it then, watching the fight a few days later, that Mike really
          had felt the tremendous power of “The Hawk” in those 5 min. the fight lasted.
          Several years later, Mike rated Julian as the hardest puncher he ever met.

Soon, we learned to appreciate Julian.
          A number of the most brutal KO’s we had ever seen were delivered by him.

Also – in controversy – he almost had me give up boxing, because some of
          his KO’s were just too nasty to watch.
          And it did bring some understanding afterwards to what Mike had withstand
          when overpowering Julian that August night in Miami Beach.

Comment

I think he would beat everyone from 154-168 and that includes ward and ggg..

Comment

he easily beats everyone at 154 and 160, mayweather included (154 was mccallums prime weight, floyd would be well past his prime and best weight).

hopkins may give him some problems at 175 (i know he is past his prime and best weight too, but he has always had a style that depends less on youth and he would be the naturally bigger man). ward might beat him at 168.

other than that he cleans house easily from 154-175.

Comment

People say floyd and lara would give him problems... I just dont see it..

Floyd obviously is good enough to last the distance and not get blown out, but the jab, power, body shots, skill level, size, would just be too much for floyd

Lara has no chance, when people mention him it makes me chuckle.. Lara couldnt defend vs canelo's bodyshots, and lacked the ring generalship unlike floyd, to handle canelo.. that should have been an easy win for a top caliber guy like floyd, hopkins, ward, etc.. Lara is not on that level, mccallum would eat that cuban alive

Comment

Perhaps I'm developing Alzheimers but the Mike McCallum I remember was nowhere near as bombproof as the legend of Mike McCallum has grown post retirement.

Yes. He was an exceptionally talented fighter who had the ability to throw fight-winning shots from the kinds of angles most boxers don't expect and therefore don't train to be closed to.

But the Mike McCallum I remember was also prone to inexplicable bouts of sloth-like laziness which very often forced him to fight-or-die in the last two or three rounds.

It's easy to criticise Mayweather. And I'm broadly in agreement with such criticism in so far as certain aspects of his behaviour are concerned. But if we're talking purely about commitment to training, fitness, perfecting your craft and the single-minded determination to always be willing to give what your opponent won't to win a fight - Floyd holds an advantage.

Any fighter who even dreams about taking four rounds off against Floyd is beaten, IMO.

Comment

He'd beat em all at 154 and that includes Cotto and even Mayweather when they operate there. Canelo, Lara, Kirkland ect are not on the Body Snatchers level imho

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                      Perhaps I'm developing Alzheimers but the Mike McCallum I remember was nowhere near as bombproof as the legend of Mike McCallum has grown post retirement.

Yes. He was an exceptionally talented fighter who had the ability to throw fight-winning shots from the kinds of angles most boxers don't expect and therefore don't train to be closed to.

But the Mike McCallum I remember was also prone to inexplicable bouts of sloth-like laziness which very often forced him to fight-or-die in the last two or three rounds.

It's easy to criticise Mayweather. And I'm broadly in agreement with such criticism in so far as certain aspects of his behaviour are concerned. But if we're talking purely about commitment to training, fitness, perfecting your craft and the single-minded determination to always be willing to give what your opponent won't to win a fight - Floyd holds an advantage.

Any fighter who even dreams about taking four rounds off against Floyd is beaten, IMO.
                      I see your point as a good constructive counterbalance....Many times pigeons become eagles in the winds of time! Alas Mike M was no pigeon however he was mecurial at times. I think Mayweather is vulnerable against a good pressure fighter. Mccallum had these skills and Floyd is not at his best anthing North of 135...so its possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X