No announcement yet.

Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Points fighting is fking awful to watch. You end up with guys just poking each other with jabs and not talking any chances.

I'm ok with the system we have now, even if it means garbage decisions here and there. The solution isn't to ruin boxing but to get better judges. Unfortunately, that's on the commissions so the argument needs to be taken up with them.
    Well, that's never gonna happen, man.

Haven't you given up on the judges by now? I did long ago, but this way, at least there is some objective goal. And let's face it, if two guys get in there and no ones scores a KO, not everyone is ever going to happy with what happens afterward, but at least this way, there would be some standard. Something we could look to and say, "Well I thought Fighter A did a better job but B landed more punches. That's how you win a decision." Right now, you'll get a different answer from everybody on what wins a decision.

If not points, there needs to be a more concrete standard than just "I thought he won."

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      I think the biggest problem with the sport is that there is no real objective way to score a fight. It's all subjective and often in the end, like this weekend, divisive.

So why not let the number of punches scored win rounds and ultimately the fight itself?

Obviously extra points should be awarded for knockdowns and punch numbers should be lowered when deductions occur but at least, you could say guy A won because he outlanded guy B.

I think this might be harder to argue with than the old "I believe he won the fight" line.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

The media scored the fight for GGG at a rate of 34 to 2.

A lot of them including Lederman scored the fight 8-4 like I did. GGG was duped again.

Comment

Originally posted by AboutBillions View Post
        You can land 0 punches in rounds 1-11 and land 50 punches in round 12, and I just land 1 punch in every round and I would win a UD. So no it’s not just punches landed.
        It's about momentum. The great fighters understand momentum and never give it up.

If you take a great fighter's momentum, they will answer and take it back.

but when you're scoring a round, it's about punches landed. Boxing is a game of rounds, and rounds are a game of punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
          The media scored the fight for GGG at a rate of 34 to 2.

A lot of them including Lederman scored the fight 8-4 like I did. GGG was duped again.
          Oh I agree. He also landed the most punches. Right?

This way, you'd still have some thinking their guy won but in the end, if the number is the standard then well, the guy who landed the most takes it home. Simple and reasonable imo.

Comment

This way, you'd still have some thinking their guy won but in the end, if the number is the standard then well, the guy who landed the most takes it home. Simple and reasonable imo.
            Then you will just get guys shoe shining then running like in the amateurs when they used the computerized scoring.

Comment

If every punch had the same effect and landed as clean you could use that system but that's not how it works. That said, GGG landed more jabs, overall punches and landed the harder punches of the fight. Once or twice he hit Canelo good enough where he didn't do anything but cover up to survive for 10-20 seconds. That's a sign of being legitimately hurt. GGG never did that.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                Then you will just get guys shoe shining then running like in the amateurs when they used the computerized scoring.
                Like they don't do that now?

The fighters will do what they do.

It's about hit and not get hit. Right?

Well, this falls right in line with that thinking.

And the ams are three rounds for God's sake. In ten and twelve round fights, things change and it won't be that simple. Besides KOs still count as KOs plain and simple.

We need some kind of measuring stick here. At the moment, we just have fights and people hope for a good decision. Well, we all know what that gets us. The numbers thing would at least be something attainable.

Comment

If every punch had the same effect and landed as clean you could use that system but that's not how it works. That said, GGG landed more jabs, overall punches and landed the harder punches of the fight. Once or twice he hit Canelo good enough where he didn't do anything but cover up to survive for 10-20 seconds. That's a sign of being legitimately hurt. GGG never did that.
                  So the three judges Saturday night did the right thing in your opinion?

We need a measuring stick to objctively state a winner. Right now, we have nothing. Every SOB out there thinks he knows how to score a fight and in the end, it's up to three people's opinion. You don't get that with other sports. There are points and they are scored and that determines the winner. With Boxing and MMA(don't know what I'd do there), we have opinions. No wonder such controversy.

Comment

At the 1:46 mark of the last round. Canelo landed an uppercut on golovkin and then followed up with a combination. 20 seconds later canelo was pushing forward trying to win the fight and golovkin backed off, even though he either knew he needed a ko or he knew he needed to win the round. Canelo was standing there like "come on dude, are we going to go to war or what? Do i have to chase you?"

another sequence after that, canelo was pushing forward again and golovkin backed off again.

Golovkin was clearly hurt. Your point just got disproved.
                    Last edited by DARKSEID; 09-18-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
                      At the 1:46 mark of the last round. Canelo landed an uppercut on golovkin and then followed up with a combination. 20 seconds later canelo was pushing forward trying to win the fight and golovkin backed off, even though he either knew he needed a ko or he knew he needed to win the round. Canelo was standing there like "come on dude, are we going to go to war or what? Do i have to chase you?"

another sequence after that, canelo was pushing forward again and golovkin backed off again.

Golovkin was clearly hurt. Your point just got disproved.
                      See, it's actually not clear that he was hurt. It's your opinion. You can say his point is disproved but it's your opinion, which proves nothing.

A guy like you would appreciate a more objective scoring imo. You want to prove and disprove but we all know, it's all just opinions. A system based on number of punches landed solves this. We could all still have our opinions on who won but we would still have the standard which determines the winner. Right now, it's your opinion vs my opinion. Neither of us will back off and both will think we are right when the smoke clears which is nothing but a circle jerk.

Number of punches landed= winner.

Hell, the winner almost always lands more punches anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X