Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Berto: Unifying with Zaveck sounds like a good plan.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
    One positive thing about that is it brings the welterweight divsion closer to one champion. Undisputed champions are rare these days.
    To me Floyd is the lineal real champ of the division.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
      Jones isn't a kid anymore. He's been in the sport for about 5 years (less than a year shorter than Berto), is older than Berto and he's faced some of the decent lower class WWs. Its time for him to fight a higher class opponent. And HBO is pushing for that fight. If Berto beats him, he'll have a skilled opponent on his resume instead of tomato cans, former champions years past their prime and smaller guys on his resume.
      Beating Jones does nothing for Bertos future at all.

Like 7 people on this site even know who Mike Jones is.

Unifying the belts could back Berto into a Pac fight or even a Mayweather fight( someway).

Zaveck
      Sanchenko

All thats left is Pac. Or Mayweather if he wants to be Lineal Champ.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
        I see what you mean. But Bertos options a 147 is limited. There is no one there to fight. Might as well tak out the "champs".
        Nah bro,He has mosley.But Berto is asking for 50/50 with mosely,which
        is an outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          I don't mind him unifying the titles. Him doing that might make him a more viable option for Floyd, Cotto, Mosley, or Pac or even P-Will? Maybe...
          But they're paper titles. And their also held by C level opposition. How would that bring him closer to Floyd, Cotto, Pac or P.Will? They have much better choices like eachother, Margo, Dzinziruk, Martinez, etc. Mosley is the only one willing to fight Berto, but after he threw in that 50/50 split I don't see it happening. And beating Jan Zaveck certainly isn't gonna be enough for him to deserve a 50/50 split.

Originally posted by No Ceilings
          Beating Jones does nothing for Bertos future at all.

Like 7 people on this site even know who Mike Jones is.

Unifying the belts could back Berto into a Pac fight or even a Mayweather fight( someway).

Zaveck
          Sanchenko

All thats left is Pac. Or Mayweather if he wants to be Lineal Champ.
          Mayweather could care less about belts, and Arum already dismissed Berto. Do you think gaining a paper belt would make a difference? They both have bigger fish to fry, including eachother. Same goes for Cotto.

So since neither of the three would do anything, why not fight the better of the three (Jones)?
          Last edited by BoxerDood; 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

But they're paper titles. And their also held by C level opposition. How would that bring him closer to Floyd, Cotto, Pac or P.Will? They have much better choices like eachother, Margo, Dzinziruk, Martinez, etc. Mosley is the only one willing to fight Berto, but after he threw in that 50/50 split I don't see it happening. And beating Jan Zaveck certainly isn't gonna be enough for him to deserve a 50/50 split.

Mayweather could care less about belts, and Arum already dismissed Berto. Do you think gaining a paper belt would make a difference? They both have bigger fish to fry, including eachother. Same goes for Cotto.
            Pacquiao would be fighting Berto for Undisputed Champion at 147.

Thats a BIG deal.

In order to hopefully force that Berto has to get the belts off Zaveck and Sanchenko. Beating Mike Jones does nothing.

Comment

Their paper titles. And their also held by C level opposition. How would that bring him closer to Floyd, Cotto, Pac or P.Will? They have much better choices like eachother, Margo, Dzinziruk, Martinez, etc. Mosley is the only one willing to fight Berto, but after he threw in that 50/50 split I don't see it happening. And beating Jan Zaveck certainly isn't gonna be enough for him to deserve a 50/50 split.
              I think if he can get 3 of the 4 belts he will become more of a viable option. And, plus he would get rid of the weak title holders. So is a win win for me.

I also don't mind the Mike Jones. Idea I am a big Mike Jones fan. And, I think right now he has a hell of a chance to beat Berto.

Comment

LOL if he fights this guy over Mike Jones I will laugh. Both Zaveck and Jones are unknown, but at least Mike Jones isn't a tomato can. What is having those two titles gonna do anyways? Both are paper titles, so its not gonna make him any more popular or worth more. I say fight Jones, then next year fight the Bradley-Maidana winner. Those are the only acceptable fights at this point, unless he moves up.
                Zaveck isnt a tomato can. He is a champion.

Mike Jones might be more well known to Americans but at this stage he's not much more than a prospect. I dont see Berto beating a Mayweather or Pacquiao so he should try and beat the other champions in his division. Right now he's just looked at as a HBO Golden Boy who happens to have the WBC belt, But if he becomes unified champion then people will have to take notice of him and he will get the big fights that he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
                  Nah bro,He has mosley.But Berto is asking for 50/50 with mosely,which
                  is an outrage.
                  The fight wouldnt hadmade that much cash anyway imo. But Mosley is at 154 now and possibly 160.

Comment

Jones isn't a kid anymore. He's been in the sport for about 5 years (less than a year shorter than Berto), is older than Berto and he's faced some of the decent lower class WWs. Its time for him to fight a higher class opponent. And HBO is pushing for that fight. If Berto beats him, he'll have a skilled opponent on his resume instead of tomato cans, former champions years past their prime and smaller guys on his resume.

And as I said, picking up two paper belts isn't gonna get him anywhere closer to a shot against Pacquiao, Floyd or any elite fighters aside from Mosley at this point. And he's demanding a 50/50 split against Mosley, so he isn't getting that fight.
                    Exactly bro.If berto is really that good,He should take out jones.
                    But imo i think jones wins.HBO needs to invest in jones.Mike is already
                    drawing crowds,And is exciting.While berto is not doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                      Zaveck isnt a tomato can. He is a champion.

Mike Jones might be more well known to Americans but at this stage he's not much more than a prospect. I dont see Berto beating a Mayweather or Pacquiao so he should try and beat the other champions in his division. Right now he's just looked at as a HBO Golden Boy who happens to have the WBC belt, But if he becomes unified champion then people will have to take notice of him and he will get the big fights that he wants.
                      Michael Jennings held the WBC belt before Cotto destroyed him. Are you willing to say he isn't a tomato can?

And you guys have made some good points about Pacquiao, but then comes Bob Arum. Why throw Pac in there with some fighter he'll KO in the first half and spend money when he can keep it in the house against fighters like Cotto and Margo and get more money? They are also bigger names than Berto. And Pacquiao would probably rather gain an 8th title or fight JMM than unify the WW titles.

As for Mayweather, like I said, he could care less about belts and wouldn't even fight for them, so it would be as if none are on the line. And Berto brings no money to the table, three belts or not.

As for P.Will, he has bigger fish to fry like Dzinziruk, Martinez, etc. and Haymon would have something to say about that fight. Same goes for Cotto. He could do rematches with Mosley, Pac or Margarito, which are much bigger fights than Berto, three titles or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X