Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring - how to hit harder after getting hit.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring - how to hit harder after getting hit.

Hey guys,

I've recently started sparring, and I have a huge problem when it comes to trying to hit my opponents after I get hit myself. Even if I just catch a hit on my gloves it completely throws me off balance and I instinctively throw a punch to try to "get one back" and I essentially end up throwing a weak arm punch that most of the time doesn't even hit my opponent.

I don't think my problem is power, when I hit the punching bags I feel like I can hit pretty hard and fast, and my dad who was an amateur boxer for 15 years told me that I definitely had KO power when he held the pads for me one once.

It also doesn't help that my coach puts me in with guys that are a lot bigger than me, he likes to match us up by height, but I'm like 6 foot 160lbs (pretty lean), so I constantly have to spar with guys who are a solid 200lbs+

Did anyone have this problem when starting out in sparring? If so, how did you correct it?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks.

You're probably over exaggerating the size of your sparring partners. There's no way that you are constantly sparring guys over 200 lbs at 6 ft. Probably guys in the 170s or 180s but I doubt over 200. You'd look tiny compared to them and would be of no use.

Just stick with it. Be the first to punch and the last to land. Over time you'll be able to see more going on and develop better skills. I remember my first sparring session I felt like I was pretty much a punching bag but apparently I did good as I was later told. The second sparring session I actually boxed well and put my punches together. By the 4th session I was giving back more than I was taking with the same guy who whooped me the first session.

You'll develop exponentially for the first few sessions then progress will decrease after months and months of training when you're at a good solid level.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      You're probably over exaggerating the size of your sparring partners. There's no way that you are constantly sparring guys over 200 lbs at 6 ft. Probably guys in the 170s or 180s but I doubt over 200. You'd look tiny compared to them and would be of no use.
      My gym is like 80% Samoan. So they're all pretty solid, even the girls are 200lbs+

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely keep at it, just still trying to get the hang of everything ae

Comment

Does anyone have any advice on how to specifically overcome this problem? Should I try to get into a good position before throwing back at my opponent if they're pressuring me? (though this could cause me to freeze and curl up against the ropes) Or should I try to let my hands go as they're coming in and avoid trying to counter them? Because when I try to counter I'm not fast enough, or I move back too far and I'm out of range

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitouso View Post
          Does anyone have any advice on how to specifically overcome this problem? Should I try to get into a good position before throwing back at my opponent if they're pressuring me? (though this could cause me to freeze and curl up against the ropes) Or should I try to let my hands go as they're coming in and avoid trying to counter them? Because when I try to counter I'm not fast enough, or I move back too far and I'm out of range
          You’re trying to do too much.

You’re literally just overthinking it. Don’t let the orher guy dictate and stay within yourself. That comes with experience and you’re too wound up. Worry more about your balance and defense instead of being overzealous. Just relax. That’s it.

Comment

I can almost guarantee that this is an issue with your stance. If your feet are in the correct position then you will be able to block, parry, slip and even get hit and still be able to throw back with full power.

It all comes from your feet and legs. If feet are planted and knees bent then you can throw with full power. If not, you won't be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitouso View Post
              My gym is like 80% Samoan. So they're all pretty solid, even the girls are 200lbs+

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely keep at it, just still trying to get the hang of everything ae
              In that case you're absolutely right. I feel sorry for you man. Keep at it, you'll get a lot better for sure.

Comment

So it sounds like everytime you get hit your moving and getting out of position. Do you do anything to build up your strength?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                  So it sounds like everytime you get hit your moving and getting out of position. Do you do anything to build up your strength?
                  This. You can’t deliver any decent shots without being in balance. Are they are physically shoving you around with push punches when you’re not at the end of their range, or are you shifting weight to your backfoot to mitigate the force? Either way you’re out of position and possibly range to land anything of consequence.

Good way to tell if it’s the later is if you feel off balance when receiving a punch.

Comment

This problem will go away with experience. If you really want to knock a guy out just do this when you are throwing your right hand: simply squeeze your bum hole shut, ko's will naturally just follow. Air tight kind of squeeze your bung hole shut, they'll drop in front of you if you do this while you punch.

Comment

Working...
                    X