No announcement yet.

Heavyweight prospect Luis Ortiz' fight against Epifanio Mendoza

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavyweight prospect Luis Ortiz' fight against Epifanio Mendoza

Ortiz is undefeated. He's 6'4" with an 81" reach. He's a southpaw with obviously fast hands and feet as you'll see in this fight. He comes in shape. I personally think this guy is something special as long as he stays committed and focused. I heard from someone on another site that before he turned pro he sparred someone that was 3-0, and he made them look like they literally had never even stepped in the ring before. Anyway here's the fight.

Here's his boxrec. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...8949&cat=boxer

Also as you'll see in his 3rd and 2nd pro fights. He beat both Kendrick Releford and Zack Page. Both these guys have VERY deceiving records and are both tough durable and experienced journeyman. Luis Ortiz dropped and stopped Zack Page in 8 rounds. Tyson Fury couldn't stop Page, Kubrat Pulev couldn't, fellow countryman Mike Perez who gets tons of hype couldn't stop Page and he went 8 rounds with Page twice. Juan Carlos Gomez couldn't stop him. Juan Pablo Hernandez couldn't stop him, and the list goes on. Not saying that alone makes Ortiz better than all these guys etc but I think that's a pretty good feat to do so early in his career. He also accordingly has a 349-19 amateur record.

Comment

Page and Releford have both beaten some undefeated prospects, especially Page. Most people felt he was robbed against Tom Dallas recently, he beat 19-0 Sebastien Koeber not too long ago. Alot of people, including me felt he beat Manuel Charr not too long ago.

Comment

He looks alright.

Mitchell, Perez, Scott, Price, Ortiz, Wilder, hopefully they end up becoming good fighters. Malik Scott is definitely the most slick of all.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          He looks alright.

Mitchell, Perez, Scott, Price, Ortiz, Wilder, hopefully they end up becoming good fighters. Malik Scott is definitely the most slick of all.
          Agreed. Malik is very talented, he just doesn't have a ton of power but he has very good, complete boxing skills. Now he's with Jesse Reid. I saw his last fight against Releford, speaking of the devil. Scott had been off for 3 years but he looked sharp as hell. And he was in very good shape coming in at 225 the lowest weight he's come in at for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
            Agreed. Malik is very talented, he just doesn't have a ton of power but he has very good, complete boxing skills. Now he's with Jesse Reid. I saw his last fight against Releford, speaking of the devil. Scott had been off for 3 years but he looked sharp as hell. And he was in very good shape coming in at 225 the lowest weight he's come in at for a long time.
            The power might do him in, especially if he steps up the next year or two. Wilder needs to step up NOW.

These guys should be fighting a Tony Thompson, Eddie Chambers, Kevin Johnson, Alex Lepai, Hasim Rahman, Samuel Peter, Bryant Jennings, Sergei Liakhovich, Odlanier Solis, Michael Grant, Nicolay Valuev, Ruslan Chagaez, Tomasz Adamek, etc.

If they really want to start building a name for themselves, they should be trying to get fights like that at least.

Comment

Here's his boxrec. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...8949&cat=boxer

Also as you'll see in his 3rd and 2nd pro fights. He beat both Kendrick Releford and Zack Page. Both these guys have VERY deceiving records and are both tough durable and experienced journeyman. Luis Ortiz dropped and stopped Zack Page in 8 rounds. Tyson Fury couldn't stop Page, Kubrat Pulev couldn't, fellow countryman Mike Perez who gets tons of hype couldn't stop Page and he went 8 rounds with Page twice. Juan Carlos Gomez couldn't stop him. Juan Pablo Hernandez couldn't stop him, and the list goes on. Not saying that alone makes Ortiz better than all these guys etc but I think that's a pretty good feat to do so early in his career. He also accordingly has a 349-19 amateur record.
              Yeah Page is a real good journeyman. Page said Pulev was the physically strongest guy he had ever been in with. In spite of his stoppage wins the 2 or 3 fights iv seen of Ortiz his power didn't impress me, or him in general tbh. People citing his amateur record is very deceptive too as he fought all of those fights domestically. He only fought on a international level 2 or 3 times and lost every time he did. If he reaches his full potential i could see him being a top 10 HW but i don't see him being the best of the best or getting a belt after the brothers retire. Perhaps i need to check out a couple more fights of his though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                Yeah Page is a real good journeyman. Page said Pulev was the physically strongest guy he had ever been in with. In spite of his stoppage wins the 2 or 3 fights iv seen of Ortiz his power didn't impress me, or him in general tbh. People citing his amateur record is very deceptive too as he fought all of those fights domestically. He only fought on a international level 2 or 3 times and lost every time he did. If he reaches his full potential i could see him being a top 10 HW but i don't see him being the best of the best or getting a belt after the brothers retire. Perhaps i need to check out a couple more fights of his though.
                Yea the problem is though, he hasn't gotten barely any TV exposure. I think you're being a little tough on him. Thanks for the detailed info about his amateur career though. I know he beat Dmitiry Gotfrid who was a solid amateur.

The good thing is though is that he has all of that amateur experience. Atleast to me he's very impressive. I like Pulev but his power has seem to degraded, he looked somewhat mediocre against Walker. I just think with Ortiz' speed, size and length makes him something to watch.

He puts combinations together very nicely. And from what i've seen of him he has very good counter punching skills. Not to forget either that he's a southpaw, which is somewhat rare in heavyweights. How do you mean his power doesn't impress you? I mean, he's stopped 12 of 15 opponents. When he lands I think he has alot of power. I think he was on the verge of stopping Mendoza, but Mendoza kept low blowing him and got himself DQ'd. You could be right, but to me he could go far.
                Last edited by Tmann400; 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Ortiz is undefeated. He's 6'4" with an 81" reach. He's a southpaw with obviously fast hands and feet as you'll see in this fight. He comes in shape. I personally think this guy is something special as long as he stays committed and focused. I heard from someone on another site that before he turned pro he sparred someone that was 3-0, and he made them look like they literally had never even stepped in the ring before. Anyway here's the fight.
                  Epifanio Mendoza is a bad match for any heavyweight. He must be about 34-35 now.(just checked, actually 36) The last time I saw him in 2002 and 2003 he was a light-middle and throwing blazing bombs. he's gone to seed. He's not really a heavyweight. Just 2 years ago he weighed in at 170 lbs, the fight before he was 25 lbs more, and the fight after was 30 lbs more, and in the few fights since he's been a bit heavier, so now he's 215 lbs. probably 40 lbs of fat.

When he was much lighter he was a very exciting fighter to watch, but now........age 36, he should retire, he's had 7 KO's in 14 losses.

Comment

Working...
                  X