Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to improve your stamina in sparring/fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve your stamina in sparring/fight?

In my training days, I'm doing 4 rounds on Focus Mitts, and then 3 rounds on the heavy bags and 3 rounds on the speed bag, and I still have lot of air in my tank. I also incorporate circuit trainings.

But all of a sudden, on my sparring day, after 1 and a half rounds of sparring, I am already out of gas. I still want to do a lot of things in the ring, but my speed continue to fall, my technique is getting worse, I can't move like I want to, everything just falls apart when you're gassing. I can see the punches and I know I can dodge them, but my body doesn't follow anymore. I don't even feel nervous, or any tension before and during the sparring, I was enjoying it. The gassing part just screws everything. I want to finish 3 rds of sparring without gassing.

What to do?

Stop being scared

Comment

Spar more. It's mixture of you being able to breathe and fight at your pace. When hitting the bag or mitts. You're not moving as much and you're fighting at a pace that is comfortable for you. The more you spar, the more acclimated you get to implementing your game plan and fighting at your pace and adjusting to your opponent's activity.

Comment

Do you think this a physical or mental thing? Or both perhaps?

If it’s physical, do more physical conditioning. Mentally work on relaxing between punches. Easy to tense up all your muscles when sparring and waste energy. Punch, relax, repeat. You have to to mentally tell yourself to do this till it become auto. Your level of physical conditioning has to be greater than what you need to go 3 good rounds. I would try more high intensity exercises for longer periods. Continuous alternating punches on the heavy bag at full intensity for extended periods is a good one. Also, good question I am interested to hear what others have to say

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
          In my training days, I'm doing 4 rounds on Focus Mitts, and then 3 rounds on the heavy bags and 3 rounds on the speed bag, and I still have lot of air in my tank. I also incorporate circuit trainings.

But all of a sudden, on my sparring day, after 1 and a half rounds of sparring, I am already out of gas. I still want to do a lot of things in the ring, but my speed continue to fall, my technique is getting worse, I can't move like I want to, everything just falls apart when you're gassing. I can see the punches and I know I can dodge them, but my body doesn't follow anymore. I don't even feel nervous, or any tension before and during the sparring, I was enjoying it. The gassing part just screws everything. I want to finish 3 rds of sparring without gassing.

What to do?
          Hang them up! Save brain cells

Comment

I have my first fight on Dec 7th. I noticed a HUGE difference in my non-sparring work versus when I first started to step in the ring (sparring). The whole thing is just so different for loads of reasons. Though it is hard to replicate outside of the sparring sessions it did change how I went about my other workouts.

For my other workouts I tried to put myself in "fight mode." When working the heavy bags I go over to where there are a few lined up and do rounds on them. I put myself in a fighting frame of mind and like during sparring, try to really visualize a spar (fight) time opponent. I move as I think a fight will make me move, and attack as I would then. Defense as well. I do a round, pause a minute, then another round. I do XX amount of rounds and then when I feel I've got in my rounds I start doing 1 minute rounds and go harder. After that then 30 second rounds.

Comment

Conditioning

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post

What to do?
              Sprints help a lot, but as mentioned above, you move more in sparring than doing bag work usually (I don't) Swim if you can to build your endurance or try evaluating your breath control and see if you're breathing properly.

Comment

It sounds like just a lack
                Of experience still. Keep sparring and push your self to spar when you are exhausted it will help you learn to relax and recover in between punches. Sparring when you are tired will also really expose if you have bad technique ( pushing your pumches instead of “snapping” them).

Comment

Train intelligently.

You basically said you train 10 rnds out of the ring. 3 rnds this, 3 rnds that etc. etc.

But what is your output? Are you doing 3 minutes of bullschit? Or are you putting up 300+ punches a round on the bag? Are you being crisp and working your footwork on pads? Or are you standing there like Deontay Wilder winging schit?

Are you keeping your technique proper when training all these things or when you are sparring? Are you breathing properly or holding your breath? Are you wasting energy in the ring?

There's many factors to it. Judah trains like a beast but does totally different schit in the ring. Same with Cotto. He does miles and miles of roadwork, but always looks gassed in fights against higher caliber opponents.

You gotta not only train hard but train smart and make sure you analyze yourself and translate that into the ring.

Can't wonder why you don't last if you train flat footed, winging schit on the pads like Deontay but then constantly on the move, in the ring. It won't translate.

Comment

Originally posted by Commie View Post
                    Stop being scared
                    Like what I said, there is no tension or nervous feeling. I'm so pumped up going to the ring like it's just an ordinary training day. Not scared at all tbh

Comment

Working...
                    X