Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. judge rejects move to dismiss Mueller indictment against Russian firm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] U.S. judge rejects move to dismiss Mueller indictment against Russian firm

U.S. judge rejects move to dismiss Mueller indictment against Russian firm

By CAITLIN OPRYSKO 11/15/2018 12:12 PM EST
    Special counsel Robert Mueller on Thursday scored a legal victory after a federal judge denied a Russian firm’s motion to dismiss charges against it.

Judge Dabney Friedrich, who President Donald Trump appointed to the U.S. District Court of D.C. last year, shot down the motion from Concord Management and Consulting, a St. Petersburg-based firm that prosecutors say financed and organized an army of internet trolls and social media ad buys as well as other tactics to try and sow discord in the U.S. and aid Trump’s candidacy for president.

Mueller, who was appointed to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election, charged Concord as well as two other Russian businesses and 13 Russian individuals in February of this year.

The firm, which prosecutors allege is run by Yevgeniy Prigozhin, a Russian oligarch with close ties to Russian president Vladimir Putin, entered a not guilty plea in court and sought to prove that the charges brought against them were intended only to score political points for the probe and prove its legitimacy.

“The reason is obvious, and is political: to justify his own existence the Special Counsel has to indict a Russian — any Russian," attorneys for the firm argued in May about the reason for the indictment.

Lawyers for Concord also argued that Mueller’s appointment was illegal and unconstitutional, a claim that had been rejected by three other federal judges before Friedrich also rejected it in August, while also allowing that Supreme Court precedent and not explicit statutory authority factored into her decision.

That Concord retained American attorneys for the case, and is participating in it at all is viewed as an attempt to get a glimpse of the evidence Mueller’s team has compiled, given that no human defendant will likely ever appear in a U.S. court for the case. Some lawyers believe that prosecutors will end up having Concord struck from the case rather than reveal sensitive information about the investigation.

In Thursday’s filing, Friedrich gave both parties a Nov. 28 deadline to confer on a schedule to move forward with proceedings.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...n-court-992325

Since the case continues, I cant wait for the discovery phase of the case.

Gonna be real interesting to see what there is when Mueller is finally forced to play his cards in court.

Comment

Bad day for the GOP. Federal judge also ruled that Georgia county violated the Civil Rights Act. Could mean legal trouble for candidate Brian Kemp

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
        Since the case continues, I cant wait for the discovery phase of the case.

Gonna be real interesting to see what there is when Mueller is finally forced to play his cards in court.

........and interesting to see why so many patriotic Americans are passionate about defending a Russian company and their associates with ties to the president.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME OVER View Post
          ........and interesting to see why so many patriotic Americans are passionate about defending a Russian company and their associates with ties to the president.
          Where'd I, or anyone else, defend this company?

Please try and keep up, and watch those strawmen.

Oh, you could actually address my point while you're at it.

Comment

Where'd I, or anyone else, defend this company?

Please try and keep up, and watch those strawmen.

Oh, you could actually address my point while you're at it.

Well there's been lots of defending Trumps business dealings and relationships with Russians on this forum so.........I'm just waiting for the sockpuppets to jump to their defence.

Don't worry Mueller has been collecting his cards and will show his hand when the time is right.

Comment

Mueller has nothing on Trump

Comment

Well there's been lots of defending Trumps business dealings and relationships with Russians on this forum so.........I'm just waiting for the sockpuppets to jump to their defence.
                Whatever.

I wasnt, and you replied to me.

Remember, I dont do the party vs party superfan thing.

Always just address what I say when you quote me, dont worry about other people, threads, etc.

Don't worry Mueller has been collecting his cards and will show his hand when the time is right.
                We shall see. But history is on my side, not yours as previously Mueller made excuses to avoid discovery.

If you recall, at the last court hearing the Russian company was ready to go and get to the discovery phase, but Meuller asked for more time, saying the Russian company hadn't been served properly.

Of course Mueller was making excuses, as the fact they showed up to court proved the defendants were obviously served properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
                  Mueller has nothing on Trump
                  Mueller avoided discovery for a reason.

He was bluffing, betting that none of the Russians would show up in court.

His bluff was called when one company not only showed up to court to plead Not Guilty, they brought lawyers and asked to get the trial going, starting with discovery.

And Mueller's response wasn't to go to trial, it was to stall for time.

Gee, I wonder why.

Comment

Whatever.

I wasnt, and you replied to me.

Remember, I dont do the party vs party superfan thing.

Always just address what I say when you quote me, dont worry about other people, threads, etc.

We shall see. But history is on my side, not yours as previously Mueller made excuses to avoid discovery.

If you recall, at the last court hearing the Russian company was ready to go and get to the discovery phase, but Meuller asked for more time, saying the Russian company hadn't been served properly.

Of course Mueller was making excuses, as the fact they showed up to court proved the defendants were obviously served properly.

Did I specifically call you out in the first place?

Thou doth protest too much!

Comment

Working...
                    X