• Show
Clear All

• Best of the 3 main styles

Best heavyweight boxer, swarmer and slugger

Boxer: Muhamad Ali
    Swarmer: Mike Tyson
    Slugger: George foreman

cant see it any other way

Ali for me, he could come out of the laterial movement and drop some bombs, when he spread out he could hurt you badely! He was an unbelievable site in the 60s!!! Ray.

Comment

Tyson fought more at Mid Range. Frazier would be a better fit for swarmer because he was on the inside more, and his stamina was much better. which is kind of a prerequisite to be a great swarmer

Comment

Boxer: Ali/Sugar Ray 1 & 2 whichever order
        swarmer: Joe Fraizer or Hopkins. Fraizer was relentless and Hopkins very effective.
        Slugger: Tyson, Foreman

Modern times

Boxer: Floyd, Marquez, Donaire, Gamboa, Ward(best boxer and a best swarmer on the inside too like Hopkins
        Swarmer: Still Hopkins, Chavez Jr. probably more this is random off the top of my head
        Sluggers: Golovkin, Kirkland, Froch, Rios

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
          swarmer: Joe Fraizer or Hopkins. Fraizer was relentless and Hopkins very effective.
          LOL Wut?

Boxer: Joe Louis.

Swarmer: Joe Frazier

Slugger: George Foreman
          Last edited by SBleeder; 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

No picks for Liston as a slugger?

Comment

Swarmer and Slugger are too similar IMO. Defensive fighter would've made this question better.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                he fought way too educated IMO

no slugger uses a jab like that!

Comment

Boxer: Ezzard Charles
                  Swarmer: Rocky Marciano
                  Slugger: George Foreman

I am picking those representing the style the best. Obviously Ali and Louis were better (at HW) than Charles, but Louis is too stationary and Ali too unorthodox ot be the best representative of being a boxer, whereas Charles is maybe the best orthodox orthodox ever in a p4p sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    He's a boxer-puncher in my book, but he could definitely slug with the best of them. Head to head I think he beats Foreman 75% of the time.

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                    Swarmer and Slugger are too similar IMO. Defensive fighter would've made this question better.
                    Not really. A swarmer is a pressure fighter and a volume puncher. A typical slugger applies less forward pressure and throws fewer, but harder, punches.

There really are very few fighters who are exclusively one style or sub-style. Most guys have traits of everything. Frazier, in a book he wrote, described himself as a hybrid of a volume puncher and slugger. Henry Armstrong had the ability to drop you with one big punch. Wilfredo Gomez could be a defensive wizard at times.

Comment

Working...
                    X