No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey KO 7 Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey KO 7 Jack Johnson

Has anyone heard about this? Supposedly it happened in December of 1921.

Dempsey-Johnson fight was arranged by Dempsey manager Doc Kearns for gamblers in Saskatoon, Canada. Kearn's surviving son claims the fight likely happened, as does Jack Hay, alleged illigitimate Dempsey son who wrote an unpublished play regarding the match called "Hoopla." The only evidence of such a match is this newspaper report, detailing a 7-round thriller where Dempsey recovers from a fifth-round knockdown to score a clean knockout. The article includes a round-by-round account of the match

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
    ** There is a round by round account of the fight, but it's hard to know if it is made up or not since this account can only be found in the short lived Fight Beat mag.

If made up they sure did their homework as the motives of the principles are spot on and the schedules of Johnson and Dempsey match perfectly for such a bout. The fight itself doesn't go like I see it, with Dempsey coming out cautious and Johnson aggressive early on and hurting Jack.

But then I thought about it, what with Johnson being older and knowing he's not likely to do well over distance, and Dempsey not really being in training and whittled down into a fighting mood before the bell rings.

Post prison Johnson was calling out Dempsey and later Louis even though he was well past it and not getting anywhere. The money would have been generated by the massive betting in a frontier gold mining town, Sasskatoon, which also plays into a Kearn's hands by letting Johnson get on top early and rake in the last big bets and then giving Dempsey the green light.

Without somekind of verification, which may come in the future, it's just really great boxing lore of one of the greatest eras ever.

Jeffries and Johnson almost fought in the basement of a bar Jeff was at, but Johnson turned his offer down, this back when Jeff was champ and Johnson busted into the bar demanding a title shot. Supposedly a true story that you can find in a couple of Johnson or Jeffries bios.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to know what issue of Fight Beat would you? I'd like to check that out.

Comment

I've never even heard about this, but Johnson was really despised back in those days. It wouldn't surprise me the rumor was started and I think a lot of people wanted to believe it back then. But if it is in fact true, Johnson would have been old (by boxing standards) anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
          I've never even heard about this, but Johnson was really despised back in those days. It wouldn't surprise me the rumor was started and I think a lot of people wanted to believe it back then. But if it is in fact true, Johnson would have been old (by boxing standards) anyways.
          True, he woulda been old but it's still a neat story. I mean Jack Johnson facing Dempsey is pretty cool to mull over in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
            Seems like there would be more mention of it. Besides, Johnson would have been 43 to a 26 year old Dempsey, hardly a fair fight.

Comment

Originally posted by gavinz1970 View Post
              Seems like there would be more mention of it. Besides, Johnson would have been 43 to a 26 year old Dempsey, hardly a fair fight.
              yeah, jack was already 38 years old when he "lost" to willard. i think if it had happend, becasue of the hate for johnson, it'd be in every newspaper in america, and made the history books for sure

Comment

It was a different guy named Johnson. Not Jack Johnson. I can't remember the guy's first name, but it wasn't Jack.

Comment

No, it was supposed to be Jack Johnson thus the significance of the thing.

Comment

Jack Johnson KO15 Jack Dempsey

Jack Johnson was a freak, I mean that in a good way. You could hit the man smack dead in the jaw and he would just start claping. Truely a P4P all time great.

Comment

Working...
                    X