PBC/NBC done at the end of this year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    You know what he's talking about.

Back up your doom and gloom stories with some actual proof.
    It's in the first post of the thread...

From Dan Rafael's chat:

J from BK (Fury's Designated Driver) (Taking the Test)
    Danimal, with the NBC PBC card drawing the most putrid ratings thus far, any chance NBC cuts it's losses and refuses to put on another PBC card without some of Haymon's more knwon names?

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak (1:13 PM)
    No, why would they? Haymon already bought the time. But I am told that at the end of this year, when the PBC/NBC deal expires, NBC is done with it.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ith-dan-rafael

This is after he reported this a week ago:

NBC Sports executive Luis Ferrer, one of the point people in negotiating the deal with Al Haymon to bring Premier Boxing Champions to the network in 2015, is leaving effective Friday. Ferrer, who worked as an HBO Sports boxing executive for 10 years before joining NBC in 2013, plans to remain in boxing.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/dan-rafae...vyweight-title

Comment

People should have realized by now that PBC is just about showing random fights that lead to nowhere. I don't think Haymon even cares. Might as well get used to it. It's free doe.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
        Now with NBC looks to be pulling the plug the the narrative is who cares it's just NBC?
        I wouldn't say its a who cares thing, but it is a not surprised that some of the spaghetti that got thrown on the wall fell down type thing. I personally feel like the structure of PBC's attack was about hoarding TV outlets from competitors more than making every single time buy turn into a TV deal.

No one expected NBC to give them a TV deal anyway?
        Go back & look at many of the network TV nerds talk months ago. They've been saying for months that NBC was the least likely to offer up some big money contract that they contend PBC is after. Its nothing new. Those guys were right if this news turns out to be real doe so respect to them.

And if NBC is not happy with the ratings why would FOX be when the ratings are worse after 2 shows and 4 months then they were after 4 shows and 8 months on NBC?
        **** they may not be. But I still think this is a new enough concept & that PBC is tweaking things (a lil too slowly for my liking, but tweaking all the same) so things can shift quickly so further down the line PBC on Fox could be killing it.

And if CBS was happy with their ratings why did they cancel the PBC afternoon series from last year and why have they gone almost a full year without airing a single PBC card?
        Did CBS cancel anything? I thought that was just a shorter time situation? And I mean the reality is CBS is already invested in PBC kinda sorta since most of Showtime's schedule is heavily influenced by PBC fighters & Haymon & Espinosa seem to have some sort of agreement & have from the birth of PBC with bringing PBC fighters back to Showtime. And obviously Showtime is CBS's daddy. In fact most of the network nerds suggest CBS is a virtual lock to secure the rights to PBC boxing & give PBC that ~$100M/yr deal that keeps getting brought up.
        Last edited by Eff Pandas; 06-25-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
          What are you talking about?
          "Potentially new information" is considerd a rumor. How many times have we read this year that PBC is in it's death throes? A user on a Reddit made a post saying PBC wouldn't make it to the end of Feb. and boxing media took that and ran with it. And once again they were wrong. We heard Leon Margules was out as a PBC promoter. Once again that was wrong. There are so many "pontentially new information" stories out there about PBC and most of them turn out to be flat out wrong.

Dan Rafael is one of the last people I'd turn to for reliable information reagarding PBC. His main beef with PBC is that he can never get the answers from him he's looking for. If it were Top Rank or Golden Boy i'd listen to Rafael. For reliable information about PBC listen to Jake.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
            I don't completely disagree, but why blow 500 million to only get 50 in return if they're lucky. The ratings are lower than the UFC, especially with the key demo's.

They had this huge war chest that is not going to be replicated any time soon and did nothing with it.
            Thats a hugely speculative question to answer as we don't know for sure how much PBC has spent or more importantly what it got spent on exactly percentage wise. Some of the speculation I've read suggested a nice piece of that money went into buying TV time + structurally expenses for the PBC company that are needed for long term sustainability.

My hugely speculative answer is that to fully disrupt the status quo of boxing more time & more money was needed than what was available from Waddell's investment in PBC so assuming PBC did set $500M on fire as is being speculated, $500M was more or less needed to be set on fire anyway. And something not many people know is that Ryan Caldwell, the former Waddell guy who ran a fund for them, is still a consultant with PBC and also now has his own investment fund that I feel like could get in on this on the back end.

To make a comparison the Zuffa went in debt about ~$40M on their $2M investment in the UFC before they started to turn the tide. The UFC at the time was called "human **** fighting" back then, banned in many states iirc & I doubt they had a PPV that did 200k buys. The UFC just sold for $4.2B in the last week supposedly. And boxing is bigger than MMA in my & most people's opinions.

Boxing is a much more structured with many more poles cemented into the ground already. It has more moving parts. It has more competitors. But the upside is all the more bigger if you can become what the UFC did for MMA. Thing is its gonna take a hell of a lot more money to crack the nut of boxing in 2016 than it took for Zuffa to crack the MMA nut in 2001.

Idk just thinking outload about a lot of this, but I think this play is ultimately a huge play by Haymon & his investors and if 100% successful will change the way boxing works well beyond all the TV ratings & deals & fighter pay & bs we talk about with PBC stuff most of the time these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              "Potentially new information" is considerd a rumor. How many times have we read this year that PBC is in it's death throes?
              Yea and theres this tbh. I personally suspected 2016 would end some of these deals & with hearing the network nerds say NBC is a longshot to wanna offer a $100M+ caliber deal to PBC for x reasons it seems like NBC would be a likely deal that would end so this wouldn't be surprising news if it turned out to be legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                It's in the first post of the thread...

From Dan Rafael's chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ith-dan-rafael

This is after he reported this a week ago:

http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/dan-rafae...vyweight-title

Consider the source.

I ask for proof and site the biggest lying hater of them all.

Comment

"Potentially new information" is considerd a rumor. How many times have we read this year that PBC is in it's death throes? A user on a Reddit made a post saying PBC wouldn't make it to the end of Feb. and boxing media took that and ran with it. And once again they were wrong. We heard Leon Margules was out as a PBC promoter. Once again that was wrong. There are so many "pontentially new information" stories out there about PBC and most of them turn out to be flat out wrong.

Dan Rafael is one of the last people I'd turn to for reliable information reagarding PBC. His main beef with PBC is that he can never get the answers from him he's looking for. If it were Top Rank or Golden Boy i'd listen to Rafael. For reliable information about PBC listen to Jake
                  Amen to that......

Comment

Originally posted by CaneloMaidana View Post
                    Huck vs Glowacki, Warren vs Payano, Garcia vs Peterson, Cleverly vs Fonfora, Obara vs Castillo, Thomas Williams Jr vs Savigne
                    McDonnell vs. Kameda was also good. It's undeniable that PBC have shown several solid fights and match-ups, but they need more blockbuster type of fights. For that to happen, they needs to a better job of building their stars. Thurman-Porter is a step in that direction, but what's also important is the match-ups that immediately follow for the winner and loser. The prime example of PBC's flaws is Quillin/Jacobs: a solid match-up between NY-based fighters that flopped. Look at their previous match-ups (Quillin vs. Lee/Zerafa, Jacobs vs. Truax/Mora) and then look at what happened afterward (Quillin is inactive and Jacobs postponed his Mora rematch which nobody is interested in anyway). Also, why put Quillin/Jacobs on Showtime if you've been building them up on free TV? I think Quillin/Jacobs was a missed opportunity.
                    Last edited by kiaba360; 06-25-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Dan Rafael is one of the last people I'd turn to for reliable information reagarding PBC. His main beef with PBC is that he can never get the answers from him he's looking for. If it were Top Rank or Golden Boy i'd listen to Rafael. For reliable information about PBC listen to Jake.
                      I read Jake as well, but I wouldn't limit my information to just one source.

Comment

Working...
                      X