Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Paul Willians be no.1 in the Welterweight had he fought like Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    He wasn't as good as Hearns though. It wasn't just a question of choice.
    Pretty much. He wasn't capable of fighting like Hearns.

Comment

He doesn't have the same talent or skills as tommy hearns. I love Paul Williams but anyone that gets out boxed by Quintana is not holding a #1 spot at WW in any era.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
        years ago, paul Williams, when it came to Floyd mayweather, was quickly put into the high risk, no reward category, while Floyd sipped on mint julep, on "vacation" from boxing....these days, the Floyd boys just say, oh, Floyd would have beat him anyway...what a difference, a days makes...lol
        Manny fans like you have this thing where you ignore what actually happened in a fighter's career- how he actually fought in the ring and how he performed when he fought-and over evaluate him if he didn't fight Floyd since Floyd easily defeated Manny and then retired undefeated.

If you think Pwill beats Floyd, thats fine with me. You thought Manny would beat him too. As we found out, what goes on in your mind doesn't happen in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
          Lol at the fans on this site that say floyd ducked paul williams lmaoooo i always laugh at that one
          correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Floyd Mayweather Jr., take a vacation in 2007 when Paul Williams, was at his most relevant and @ welterweight?, and didn't, Floyd Mayweather Jr., return to boxing in 2009 after it was safe to say that, Paul Williams was moving up to Junior Middleweight and actually fought Winky Wright @ 160, in 2009

Comment

correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Floyd Mayweather Jr., take a vacation in 2007 when Paul Williams, was at his most relevant and @ welterweight?, and didn't, Floyd Mayweather Jr., return to boxing in 2009 after it was safe to say that, Paul Williams was moving up to Junior Middleweight and actually fought Winky Wright @ 160, in 2009
            In 2007, Paul fought once, beating Margs in July. His next fight was in Feb 08 and he lost to Quintana. Paul rematched quintana, won and then fought 2 JMW fights before fighting Winky in April of 09,

Floyd fought ODH in May 07 then fought Hatton in Dec of 07. Floyd's next fight was JMM in Sept 09

Yes, it seems you are wrong.
            Last edited by The Big Dunn; 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Paul Williams. Never use his reach advantage. For a tall guy he fought like a little guy. After Martinez Ko'ed him he was out boxed by Erislandy Lara.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Manny fans like you have this thing where you ignore what actually happened in a fighter's career- how he actually fought in the ring and how he performed when he fought-and over evaluate him if he didn't fight Floyd since Floyd easily defeated Manny and then retired undefeated.

If you think Pwill beats Floyd, thats fine with me. You thought Manny would beat him too. As we found out, what goes on in your mind doesn't happen in the real world.
                mr. dunn, I am a fan of boxing, not just manny pacquaio...I am a straight shooter, who calls it like I see it, regardless of who it is, and who it offends...

you sir, like to put words in folks mouth...no where did you read that I thought Manny Pacquaio, would absolutely beat Floyd Mayweather, (called it a pick'em fight), nor did you hear me say, Paul Williams, would beat Floyd Mayweather, I merely pointed out that since these two fighters never fought, how can you assume that Floyd Mayweather would easily beat him. Only a biased Floyd boy would jump to that conclusion, an unbiased boxing fan who actually watched the two guys fight, wouldn't, because of the style matchup presented, that we rarely get to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. in, for whatever the flavor of the month excuse is...

Mr. Dunn, you can't deny, that there is a style of fighter or style matchup, that Floyd Mayweather Jr., seemed to either avoid, or just never fought much of...and that is exactly why threads like these are often made...long, rangy fighters like paul Williams, amir khan, Vernon forrest, may not be better boxers than Floyd Mayweather, but because of their styles, would present problems and provide answers for questions some of had about Floyd Mayweather, that seemed to be bypassed. A Floyd boy like you, would just say I am hating, but nobody, is above criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  In 2007, Paul fought once, beating Margs in July. His next fight was in Feb 08 and he lost to Quintana. Paul rematched quintana, won and then fought 2 JMW fights before fighting Winky in April of 09,

Floyd fought ODH in May 07 then fought Hatton in Dec of 07. Floyd's next fight was JMM in Sept 09

Yes, it seems you are wrong.
                  so, paul Williams, was a newly crowned ww beltholder, when Floyd had just came off the hatton win @ ww in 12/2007 am I correct. he hadn't fought Quintana yet, that was feb 08

Comment

mr. dunn, I am a fan of boxing, not just manny pacquaio...I am a straight shooter, who calls it like I see it, regardless of who it is, and who it offends...

you sir, like to put words in folks mouth...no where did you read that I thought Manny Pacquaio, would absolutely beat Floyd Mayweather, (called it a pick'em fight), nor did you hear me say, Paul Williams, would beat Floyd Mayweather, I merely pointed out that since these two fighters never fought, how can you assume that Floyd Mayweather would easily beat him. Only a biased Floyd boy would jump to that conclusion, an unbiased boxing fan who actually watched the two guys fight, wouldn't, because of the style matchup presented, that we rarely get to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. in, for whatever the flavor of the month excuse is...

Mr. Dunn, you can't deny, that there is a style of fighter or style matchup, that Floyd Mayweather Jr., seemed to either avoid, or just never fought much of...and that is exactly why threads like these are often made...long, rangy fighters like paul Williams, amir khan, Vernon forrest, may not be better boxers than Floyd Mayweather, but because of their styles, would present problems and provide answers for questions some of had about Floyd Mayweather, that seemed to be bypassed. A Floyd boy like you, would just say I am hating, but nobody, is above criticism.
                    If you were a straight shooter then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I never claimed Floyd would easily beat him. That said, if you actually watched his career and the way he fought, you'd know Paul didn't fight this way so why are you saying its a style Floyd avoided?

Paul fought incredibly small, which is why many think Floyd would defeat him.
                    Forrest left WW in 03 when he lost to Mayorga and came back against Rios in 05 at 154. Floyd fought Gatti in 05 at JWW. Kahn, has a shorter reach than Floyd and doesn't fight the way you described either.

Of course every fighter can be criticized. However you are criticizing Floyd by making a point using examples of opponents that were either long passed WW or didn't fight the style you suggest would trouble Floyd. You also completely ignore that he did defeat a couple of "taller fighters with range"- ODH and Corrales.

Its not very hard for anyone to figure out why you did this the way you did.

A fan of boxing doesn't elevate a fighter based on who he didn't fight, but on who he fought and defeated.

edit: has it ever occurred to you the reason Floyd hasn't fought the style you suggest is that very few WW have a reach as long as him and very few WW in history have the attributes of Hearns or Pwill?
                    Last edited by The Big Dunn; 02-17-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

so, paul Williams, was a newly crowned ww beltholder, when Floyd had just came off the hatton win @ ww in 12/2007 am I correct. he hadn't fought Quintana yet, that was feb 08
                      No, he hadn't fought Quintana yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X