No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez: GOAT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
    you mad? I got an idea, put this post in the boxing history section, you know the place, where long time boxing fans post, dare ya
    I remember you, your'e the guy that said Moreno would outclass and beat Mares 8 or more rds., and you look pretty dumb still bashing on my fellow Mexicans!

Comment

• Originally posted by el_mas_chingon View Post
      I remember you, your'e the guy that said Moreno would outclass and beat Mares 8 or more rds., and you look pretty dumb still bashing on my fellow Mexicans!
      young man, I never bashed on your fellow Mexicans. As for Moreno/Mares, you are/were absolutely right. Mares fought a great fight and has way more skills than I thought. Donaire and Rigo can talk all the crap they want about each other, but its Mares they better be worried about

Comment

• He was the greatest Mexican boxer ever, but not the G.O.A.T.

Comment

• Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
          I used to think Ezzard Charles was one of the greatest boxers of all time. But luckily this thread has enlightened me. He just doesn't have the numbers.

It doesn't matter that he beat a ****load of hall of famers from middleweight to heavyweight. It doesn't matter that he was the best light-heavyweight in the strongest ever era of light-heavies. It doesn't matter that he was forced to move up to heavyweight to finally get a title shot, where he managed to beat the great Joe Louis for the belt.

All that matters is he lost in his 16th fight. It doesn't matter that he lost to a pro of over 100 fights who had only just lost the middleweight world title. All that matters is he lost in his 16th fight, whereas JCC went 80+ fights without defeat.

In fact Ezzard Charles' career record is 93-25-1 with a KO percentage of less than 50%! So he clearly doesn't have the numbers to be in a poll for the GOAT.

How could I have been so stupid to rank him so highly?
          Its ok, we all have to learn sometime. lol

Comment

you mad? I got an idea, put this post in the boxing history section, you know the place, where long time boxing fans post, dare ya
            No, I'm not mad that you accused the Mexicans of being racists. I think its hypocritically hysterical.

And, I know the history section well. Love it. Some of the the best reading is in there. But, out here fresh information, ideas, and views are covered, and debated. The history section doesn't make history, it recites it.

No old geezer, or well plumed sports writer, can deny the numbers. It is what it is, even if it shakes things up. Change first requires recognition. And that takes along time because sacred cows are untouchable. And, Robinson is a sacred cow.

You may laugh right now, I expected it. But, in say...10 years...I'll be the one that's laughing.

BURN IT INTO YOUR HEAD: Chavez is the GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
              No, I'm not mad that you accused the Mexicans of being racists. I think its hypocritically hysterical.

And, I know the history section well. Love it. Some of the the best reading is in there. But, out here fresh information, ideas, and views are covered, and debated. The history section doesn't make history, it recites it.

No old geezer, or well plumed sports writer, can deny the numbers. It is what it is, even if it shakes things up. Change first requires recognition. And that takes along time because sacred cows are untouchable. And, Robinson is a sacred cow.

You may laugh right now, I expected it. But, in say...10 years...I'll be the one that's laughing.

BURN IT INTO YOUR HEAD: Chavez is the GOAT.
              the history section is the perfect place for this poll as Chavez Sr hasnt fought in about 10ys. Why not let the "old geezers and well plumed sports writer" answer your question? Because these guys have been following boxing closely for decades they are the most qualified to have an opinion. You've had some success here as my original post was "probably not top 20 and definately not top 10". Upon further review- probably top 20 but definately not top 10

Comment

• LOL @ that. Even prime Oscar possibly beats him.

Comment

• Originally posted by King_Rome View Post
                  LOL @ that. Even prime Oscar possibly beats him.
                  Prime Oscar possibly beats anybody in his weight class. That is a nonsequitor. See the word "amateur" under your name? Work on it.

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                  the history section is the perfect place for this poll as Chavez Sr hasnt fought in about 10ys. Why not let the "old geezers and well plumed sports writer" answer your question? Because these guys have been following boxing closely for decades they are the most qualified to have an opinion. You've had some success here as my original post was "probably not top 20 and definately not top 10". Upon further review- probably top 20 but definately not top 10
                  No need. The history sectioneers can come out here and comment if they want. The fact that some of them have been closely following boxing for decades is a two edged sword. Because, a prior commitment is not easily reversed. Besides, there's nothing they can do about it. You cannot argue against math. No, I suspect they'll, for the most part, stay put and watch with interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
                    Prime Oscar possibly beats anybody in his weight class. That is a nonsequitor. See the word "amateur" under your name? Work on it.

No need. The history sectioneers can come out here and comment if they want. The fact that some of them have been closely following boxing for decades is a two edged sword. Because, a prior commitment is not easily reversed. Besides, there's nothing they can do about it. You cannot argue against math. No, I suspect they'll, for the most part, stay put and watch with interest.
                    so king romes opinion doesn't count because he's an "amateur" but you don't want to post this in the history section because you know you will gather little support from the guys who have followed boxing for decades? Now that's a two edged sword!

Comment

so king romes opinion doesn't count because he's an "amateur" but you don't want to post this in the history section because you know you will gather little support from the guys who have followed boxing for decades? Now that's a two edged sword!
                      That is a disingenious argument.

King Rome's opinion doesn't count because its flawed. Even a committedly biased poster such as yourself can see that.

My position regarding the history section is already on record. They will note this thread. If somebody in there wants to run it, they can create one of their own. IMO this is the forum for this thread right now.

edit: BoxingBob: please tell me all the distinctively successful boxing styles that you have observed?
                      Last edited by Wiley Hyena; 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X