• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calabis View Post
    2010: Did Cotto duck Mayweather?
    March 9th, 2010
    By Alexander Fugate:

People first became interested in a Maywether-Cotto match-up around 2005 when both fought at 140 pounds. However, most thought Cotto still needed some more experience before stepping up to someone as good as Mayweather. This was pointed out by Chris Ackerman of Doghouseboxing.com on October 16, 2005 when he reported, “…no one in the Cotto camp is foolish enough to look for it (a fight with Mayweather) anytime soon. They know, as do most analysts, that Cotto has a lot of things to work on before he is ready for the likes of Floyd Mayweather.”

At the time Kosta Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Floyd Mayeather, and Arturo Gatti were all in the 140 pound division; Hatton retired Tszyu and Mayweather dismantled Gatti. Cotto never fought any of these fighters who sat atop the division he fought in.

A Mayweather-Cotto bout seemed inevitable in 2007 or 2008. At the end of 2006 Mayweather had unified the WBC, IBF, IBO, IBA, and Ring magazine championships and was the lineal champ. Despite all these titles, no offer came from Cotto.

Then after Mayweather defeated Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007, he was considered the number one pound for pound fighter by every credible source and one of the biggest draws in boxing history. For Cotto a fight with Mayweather would have wielded him his biggest payday and with a win, recognition as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, if not the best. However, Cotto never made any offer to Mayweather and instead, in January 2008, agreed to fight Alfonzo Gomez. Gomez was a journeyman who had appeared on The Contender television show, with amazingly few known opponents. This bout was scheduled on the undercard of Margarito-Cintron II. This was done to built up hype for a Cotto-Margarito showdown. Michael Swann of CBSsports.com reported, “No one expected Gomez to beat Cotto or even provide much of a challenge.” Mr. Swann went on, “Cotto needed a tune-up bout… in preparation for his July 26 meeting with the Kermit Cintron-Antonio Margarito winner.” So a month after Mayweather knocked out Ricky Hatton, Cotto had his next two bouts already planned, with neither of the opponents being named Floyd Mayweather Jr. This is an interesting move if Cotto really had any desire to face Mayweather. If Cotto was so intent on facing Mayweather why did he schedule his next two fights without attempting to get Mayweather in the ring with him first?

And as we all know, Margarito gave Cotto a gruesome beating; a beating many suspect Margarito accomplished through wrapping his hands with a plaster-like substance. Regardless of if Margarito cheated against Cotto or not, after that fight Cotto was in no condition to fight Mayweather. After beating Michael Jennings, Cotto won a controversial decision over Joshua Clottey that left most analysts with the believe that Cotto was damaged goods at best and shot at worst.

After Clottey, Cotto was quick to sign to fight Manny Pacquiao. This fight made him plenty of money, but Cotto was forced to weigh-in at 145 pounds, lighter than his normal weight. Cotto agreed to this catch-weight despite his well known history of severely struggling earlier in his career to make 140 pounds. Also, Cotto was only offered a 35% cut of the purse. Despite the big payday, Cotto suffered another beating and severely damaged his marketability.

Throughout his entire career, Miguel Cotto never made one offer to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. At 140 pounds, no one realistically thought Cotto was experienced enough for Mayweather and Cotto never fought any of the top four fighters at that weight. When Mayweather won numerous belts at 147, no offer was forthcoming from the Cotto camp. When Mayweather received a $15 million guarantee against Hatton, where was the $10-$20 million offer from Cotto? No where, instead he scheduled Gomez, and the winner of Margarito-Cintron II. If one actually looks at the facts, there is no argument to be made that Mayweather ever ducked Cotto. However, there can be a strong argument made that Cotto ducked Mayweather despite Floyd possessing numerous titles and a potential record payday for Cotto.

2012: While it seems that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum isn’t too excited about matching his fighter WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao up with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May, Arum also doesn’t appear to want Mayweather fighting one of his guys WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto. Arum told the Manila Standard “They are not going to get him [Cotto].”

Arum stated that Mayweather would have fought Margarito for the 8 million, but he wanted a guaranteed 10 million to fight Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton. Arum only guaranteed him 7 million. And for those who don’t know Cotto and Hatton were at the Mayweather-Gatti fight and Cotto was ranked number 5 by the ring at the time (Proof: Listen to the commentary Jim Lampley at the end of round 5) . Cotto had just moved up to the 140 pound weight class and he didn’t make an offer to fight Mayweather after the Gatti fight.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn’t interested in participating in. “That’s not in the cards,” Arum said. “He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It’s not there. Sometimes, my man, you gotta know when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em. We’ll talk about things down the road.” Notice this part Arum was talking.
    Pure destruction. /thread

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      Prime Cotto was lucky to get a decision against past prime Mosley. Cotto was never that good.

Well we all have our views and opinions, but respectfully I disagree. If Cotto gave Mayweather a hell of a fight in 2012. 2008 prime Cotto would do better imo.

Comment

Originally posted by The Time View Post
        Well we all have our views and opinions, but respectfully I disagree. If Cotto gave Mayweather a hell of a fight in 2012. 2008 prime Cotto would do better imo.
        Better against a prime Mayweather? Nope. He'd lose by a bigger margin.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
          he was such a beast but he has no stand out wins on his resume.

past prime mosley and a 1 legged Martinez and a 1 eye margarito are his biggest wins.

cotto has always been overrated to me.

I won 100 dollars on margarito bum ass beating cotto in 2008. nobody thought he would lose but me

Mosley win was legit for me for what it was. A bunch of writers, experts were picking Mosley to win that fight. Mosley wasn't in his prime but he wasn't that far removed as when he fought Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo, etc...

Martinez, yeah he was done.

Margarito imo would have lost the first fight. There are questions about that fight obviously. The 2nd fight badeye or not Cotto would have won.

That's just my theory on it.

Comment

Better against a prime Mayweather? Nope. He'd lose by a bigger margin.

Well you're entitled to your opinion. You have yours and I have mine. I disagree. So we can agree to disagree on that one.
            Last edited by The Time; 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Hey haters! What you guys hating about today?

Floyd?

Great! Keep up the good work!

Comment

If you don't think Floyd ducked that era of WW's then you ate a fan or delusional. The excuses he gave were just ridiculous. He used to use the excuse of they weren't a draw, but then he fought Ortiz, Maidana, Guerrero. He was not trying to fight Williams, Cotto, Margarito, Clottey. Let's be real.

Comment

Originally posted by Calabis View Post

People first became interested in a Maywether-Cotto match-up around 2005 when both fought at 140 pounds. However, most thought Cotto still needed some more experience before stepping up to someone as good as Mayweather. This was pointed out by Chris Ackerman of Doghouseboxing.com on October 16, 2005 when he reported, “…no one in the Cotto camp is foolish enough to look for it (a fight with Mayweather) anytime soon. They know, as do most analysts, that Cotto has a lot of things to work on before he is ready for the likes of Floyd Mayweather.”
                  Who from the Cotto camp said this? This was Chris Ackerman providing his opinion on how people in the Cotto camp felt.

At the time Kosta Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Floyd Mayeather, and Arturo Gatti were all in the 140 pound division; Hatton retired Tszyu and Mayweather dismantled Gatti. Cotto never fought any of these fighters who sat atop the division he fought in.
                  Here were the 2004, Ring Rankings:

Kostya Tszyu, Champion
                  Arturo Gatti
                  Vivian Harris
                  Floyd Mayweather Jr.
                  Sharmba Mitchell
                  Miguel Cotto
                  Ricky Hatton
                  DeMarcus Corley
                  Lovemore N'dou
                  Jesse James Leija
                  Oktay Urkal

In 2004, FMJ beat Demarcus Corley. That's it.
                  In 2004, Cotto beat Sosa, N'dou, Pinto and Randall Bailey.

In 2005, here were Ring's Rankings:

Ricky Hatton, Champion
                  Floyd Mayweather Jr.
                  Miguel Cotto
                  Kostya Tszyu
                  Jose Luis Castillo
                  Junior Witter
                  Carlos Maussa
                  Arturo Gatti
                  Vivian Harris
                  DeMarcus Corley
                  Lovemore N'dou

In 2005, FMJ beat Henry Bruseles and Arturo Gatti.
                  In 2005, Cotto beat Corley, Abdullaev and Torres.

In summary, Floyd's JWW resume consisted of Bruseles, Gatti
                  and Demarcus Corely.

In summary, Cotto's JWW resume consisted of Martinez, Maussa, Sosa, N'dou, Pinto, Randall Bailey, Corley, Abdullaev, Torres, Branco, and Malignaggi.

Floyd's JWW resume isn't that much better than Cotto's; if at all. Cotto beat more JWW's. If you like to count Gatti as the end all be all, go ahead.

But explain how Mayweather was beating the top JWW's (plural), by beating Gatti, Corley and Bruseles?

In summary, whoever this author is, is lying.

A Mayweather-Cotto bout seemed inevitable in 2007 or 2008. At the end of 2006 Mayweather had unified the WBC, IBF, IBO, IBA, and Ring magazine championships and was the lineal champ.
                  At the end of 2006, Mayweather beat Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir at 147.

At the end of 2006, Cotto had the WBA by beating Quintana.

Mayweather unified, but wasn't undisputed. He would've had to beat Cotto to do that.

Then after Mayweather defeated Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007, he was considered the number one pound for pound fighter by every credible source and one of the biggest draws in boxing history
                  Mayweather beat Oscar at 154 and Hatton at 147. Notice Floyd didn't beat not one top Welterweight all year. Let's look at the Ring's top Welterweights at the end of 2007:

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion
                  Miguel Cotto
                  Paul Williams
                  Shane Mosley
                  Antonio Margarito
                  Zab Judah
                  Kermit Cintron
                  Luis Collazo
                  Joshua Clottey
                  Jackson Osei Bonsu
                  Oktay Urkal

As it stands, in 2007, Mayweather beat Hatton and DLH. Mayweather did NOT beat 1 Top 10 Welterweight. Not one.

As it stands, in 2007, Cotto beat Urkal, Judah and Mosley. Cotto beat 3 top 10 Welterweights at the end of 2007.

For Cotto a fight with Mayweather would have wielded him his biggest payday and with a win, recognition as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, if not the best. However, Cotto never made any offer to fight Mayweather

Why is this guy lying?

@1:38, Cotto says "Mayweather, Hatton, Margarito, De La Hoya, Whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight".

This is the 2nd time that when asked about Mayweather, Cotto has said he will fight him along with anyone else at 147. Stop lying.

and instead, in January 2008, agreed to fight Alfonzo Gomez.
                  That's probably because in December 2007, here's what Floyd had to say regarding facing Cotto:

"I don't want to call out no Welterweights. I'm going to retire from the sport of boxing before the sport of boxing retires me".

It's kind of hard to negotiate with a retired fighter that made it quite clear to Larry Merchant that he wanted no part of Miguel Cotto when asked.

So a month after Mayweather knocked out Ricky Hatton, Cotto had his next two bouts already planned, with neither of the opponents being named Floyd Mayweather Jr
                  Again, in Nov 2007, Cotto said he would fight Floyd Mayweather:

@1:38, Cotto says "Mayweather, Hatton, Margarito, De La Hoya, Whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight".

In Dec 2007, Floyd Mayweather said this:

In December 2007, here's what Floyd had to say regarding facing Cotto:

This is an interesting move if Cotto really had any desire to face Mayweather. If Cotto was so intent on facing Mayweather why did he schedule his next two fights without attempting to get Mayweather in the ring with him first?
                  Are you hard of hearing? Because Floyd Mayweather said this:

Was Cotto supposed to wait 2 years for Mayweather to come out of retirement before he fought again?

And as we all know, Margarito gave Cotto a gruesome beating; a beating many suspect Margarito accomplished through wrapping his hands with a plaster-like substance.
                  If Mayweather doesn't retire, Cotto vs Mayweather happens instead.

Regardless of if Margarito cheated against Cotto or not, after that fight Cotto was in no condition to fight Mayweather
                  Cotto was in no condition to fight Mayweather because Mayweather was....... you guessed it, retired

After beating Michael Jennings, Cotto won a controversial decision over Joshua Clottey that left most analysts with the believe that Cotto was damaged goods at best and shot at worst.

After Clottey, Cotto was quick to sign to fight Manny Pacquiao. This fight made him plenty of money, but Cotto was forced to weigh-in at 145 pounds, lighter than his normal weight. Cotto agreed to this catch-weight despite his well known history of severely struggling earlier in his career to make 140 pounds. Also, Cotto was only offered a 35% cut of the purse. Despite the big payday, Cotto suffered another beating and severely damaged his marketability.
                  Interesting that Mayweather fought Cotto 4 years after all this.

Throughout his entire career, Miguel Cotto never made one offer to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. At 140 pounds, no one realistically thought Cotto was experienced enough for Mayweather and Cotto never fought any of the top four fighters at that weight.
                  If we're talking 140 lb resume's:

Mayweather's resume looks like Gatti, Bruseles and Corley

Cotto's looks like this: Martinez, Maussa, Sosa, N'dou, Pinto, Randall Bailey, Corley, Abdullaev, Torres, Branco, and Malignaggi.

I think Cotto had the better JWW resume.

So again, why was Floyd "supposedly" ok with fighting Cotto in 2005, but not 2007?

When Mayweather won numerous belts at 147, no offer was forthcoming from the Cotto camp
                  Yeah, he won numerous belts by beating Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir in 2006. Floyd didn't fight not on Welterweight in 2007. Not one before retiring.

When Mayweather received a $15 million guarantee against Hatton, where was the $10-$20 million offer from Cotto? No where
                  Maybe because Floyd said this:

along with Cotto lives too far and isn't a PPV star.

If one actually looks at the facts, there is no argument to be made that Mayweather ever ducked Cotto

Yes, there is, he said it right here:

However, there can be a strong argument made that Cotto ducked Mayweather despite Floyd possessing numerous titles and a potential record payday for Cotto.
                  Last I checked, Cotto clearly said this

Pure destruction. /thread
                  Lol think again. That post got destructed
                  Last edited by Chollo Vista; 07-22-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    We'll never know because Floyd ducked him.

"1. Cotto isn't a PPV star
                    2. Cotto lives too far
                    3. I'll retire before the sport of boxing retires me.
                    4. I have nothing left to prove in boxing"

Floyd Mayweather December 2007

"I will fight Floyd Mayweather or whoever my team puts in front of me".

Miguel Cotto November 2007
                    So your upset that Floyd just made by far the most money in his life fighting dela Hoya, wanted to retire but took out undefeated hatton then rode into the sunset? That constitutes a duck to you? Is maidana ducking the we division because he left after the Floyd fight?

Also, are you gonna post the offer Bob made when Floyd was tryna fight cotto before the dela Hoya fight?

Comment

Originally posted by B Phontain View Post

Also, are you gonna post the offer Bob made when Floyd was tryna fight cotto before the dela Hoya fight?
                      I'm well aware of the counter offer Floyd made.

Who would've gotten Floyd more money? Judah, Baldomir or Cotto in 2007/2008?

That's right, Cotto lives too far.
                      Last edited by Chollo Vista; 07-22-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X