No announcement yet.

Who can beat Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
    He can fight Martinez at 154. Mayweather is the champion at 154. Can Martinez come down to 154? It's tough. I have been disappointed by Floyd Mayweather. Floyd Mayweather fights champions, but he doesn't fight the best. There is a distinction between champions and the best. It's deceptive. I think Mayweather has been very lucky to catch his opponents on the decline, very lucky. He should have fought Martinez & Pacquiao when all of these dudes were at the top. Pacquiao just got ktfo and Martinez might be on the decline, we'll see in his next fight. In his last three fights, Pacquiao fought two top 10 P4P fighters in Bradley and Marquez. Martinez could have fought some tougher opposition, though. When was the last time Mayweather fought a top 10 P4P fighter, without a weight advantage?
    Shane was numb 3 pfp when floyd fought him bring on your excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
      Shane was numb 3 pfp when floyd fought him bring on your excuses.
      Come on, now. Shane Mosley? The same Shane Mosley who went life and death with Mayorga and Sergio Mora. Mosley in the P4P rankings was a joke, just like when they keep Bernard Hopkins on there, even though he loses or fights bums. Shane Mosley, yeah he beat up on Margarito. But, everyone knew this dude was shot to **** long before the Mayweather fight. Like I said, it's very deceptive what Mayweather does. Most people are fooled by it, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Mag56 View Post
        So, we all know that Floyd will likely have two fights in 2013 (or that's the rumor), and we obviously know that a boring, cherry picked fight with Timothy Bradley would make a lot of sense given Floyd's history of taking the fight he feels most comfortable with. These "two fights" will most likely be his last two, but, I ask, who...of his potential candidates can actually beat him?

The rumor is that Floyd will once again fight on Cinco de Mayo, which leads to the question of which Mexican fighter does Floyd take? He basically has three choices, in Guerrero, Canelo Alvarez or a second fight with (a new, improved?) Marquez. After knocking out Pacquiao, I imagine the one fight that bothers Marquez is his 2009 washout against Floyd, where he climbed two weight classes, and fought the best welterweight in the universe, who happened to exceed the weight limit. Floyd has to feel pretty comfortable with the idea of facing the guy he dominated in 12 easy rounds a few years ago, and I'm positive that JMM wants another shot to prove himself. When JMM has a vendetta, and an idea of revenge, he goes for it, so I imagine Marquez/Mayweather 2 as a fairly possible option in 2013. I'm not sure if this possibly stronger, more confident Marquez can give Floyd the fight we'd want to see, but it's in the cards. As far as the casual fan is concerned, Marquez is the biggest name RIGHT NOW, and Floyd will want the money.

The Ghost Guerrero can bang. He's young, he's likely in his prime, and he wants the best. He deserves the best. I think he has a good shot at beating the best. A fully loaded, smart banger, who will test Mayweather, and force a real fight. Beating Berto was enough for Ortiz to earn his shot against Floyd, so why not the Ghost? Floyd does well against aggression, so why not give Guerrero a chance, given his youth, and the fact that he's no ordinary banger? It's Floyd's best bet at proving he's not a cherry picker, and that he's not afraid to go toe to toe.

Canelo is the future of boxing. Oscar is trying to preserve him, and keep him away from anything too risky, since he's only 22, and as he gets older...he'll become the premier showcase PPV fighter. Why possibly ruin that with an early match against the best boxer alive? Because he presents the biggest threat to Floyd's crown. If an aging, almost-done Cotto can pressure Floyd effectively, bloody his face, and actually steal consecutive rounds, then imagine what the youth, energy and power of Canelo will do with Floyd? This possibly presents the best fight Floyd Mayweather has had in years.

Bradley, Marquez, Guerrero, & Canelo Alvarez are the four options. Bradley's the one I dread, because it's the easy way out (stylistically), in my opinion. Marquez is the one Mayweather would be the most comfortable with, and would likely make the most money right now. Guerrero is the mandatory challenger for the WBC belt, and I think presents the most intriguing war. Canelo is the fight that likely scares Mayweather the most.
        Cotto gave Floyd a bloody nose. Your sitting there acting like Floyd had a cut or was swollen up. If GBP puts Canelo in there with Floyd hes gonna get BTFU. Dont forget not too long ago he lost 3 rounds to Alfonso Gomes. Now I like Canelo. You like Canelo but lets get serious. Havent we learned after all these yrs that skills wins fights. Theres a reason why Manny Pacquiao can walk through bigger guys but struggles with JMM everytime they fight.

Comment

He can fight Martinez at 154. Mayweather is the champion at 154. Can Martinez come down to 154? It's tough. I have been disappointed by Floyd Mayweather. Floyd Mayweather fights champions, but he doesn't fight the best. There is a distinction between champions and the best. It's deceptive. I think Mayweather has been very lucky to catch his opponents on the decline, very lucky. He should have fought Martinez & Pacquiao when all of these dudes were at the top. Pacquiao just got ktfo and Martinez might be on the decline, we'll see in his next fight. In his last three fights, Pacquiao fought two top 10 P4P fighters in Bradley and Marquez. Martinez could have fought some tougher opposition, though. When was the last time Mayweather fought a top 10 P4P fighter, without a weight advantage?
          How are champions not the best?

That statement just set up your diatribe up to seem like it had some basis.

I'm calling on you to explain that rationale to the forum, because IMO its bull****.

Being the best = money. The best have more opportunities to earn more money. Anyone YOU think is the best and not a champion is not doing it on principle. Everyone chases the dream to be the recipient of a huge payday against a huge draw. No one is in boxing for the love of getting punched in the face.

With all respect, you're full of shit.

To say "Floyd Mayweather fights champions, but he doesn't fight the best" is an oxymoron. The best aren't the best because fans say so. This isn't a popularity contest. The best aren't the best because their promoters say so and pay HBO and Showtime to say so.

The best are the best because they win and keep on winning against the #1, 2 and 3 ranked fighters.

So many of you talk so much nonsense about who is the best. Rank exists for that very reason: To distinguish the best for the rest.

You say Manny was one of the best? If that's true, who did he fight that was ranked in the top 3 spots that would validate that statement?

Its easy to mention names who USED TO BE ranked high and were previously on top, but fighting USE TO BE'S doesn't raise rank.

Look at what you're saying: Floyd should have fought a MW years ago. Its the only way you truly believe that someone can beat him .. by being 2 weight classes above.

That's pathetic.

Your passive aggressive bullcrap has exposed your reverence for the dude's ability, but you thought you were subtle enough that no one would notice that you had to nominate a MW to beat a WW.

Comment

I think Carlos Molina at 154 would give Floyd a good fight. He's one of the most avoided fighters IMO but nobody knows who he is because his promotional backing is awful

Comment

i disagree with most of what u said seem like just another floyd hater if you ask me , floyd is older than pac but pac is on the decline and not floyd realistically floyd isnt his old self either bt he is just a good technical boxer so he's gone last longer on techniqe martinez was no where on the radar if floyd would have fought him early on yall wouldve said he was cherry picking martinez now thank about that and say it wasnt so remember it was and up set when he beat pwill and also last time i checked at the time cotto and floyd fought cotto was in the top 10 oh yeah floyd slaughtered JMM remember that oh yeah another excuse to dis credit Floyd huh he was to small lol bradley right now everyone in the world saying bradley suck discredit his victory over pac called that a robbery but not me i think bradley really beat him so think about what you wrote and check the facts first

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
                How are champions not the best?

That statement just set up your diatribe up to seem like it had some basis.

I'm calling on you to explain that rationale to the forum, because IMO its bull****.

Being the best = money. The best have more opportunities to earn more money. Anyone YOU think is the best and not a champion is not doing it on principle. Everyone chases the dream to be the recipient of a huge payday against a huge draw. No one is in boxing for the love of getting punched in the face.

With all respect, you're full of shit.

To say "Floyd Mayweather fights champions, but he doesn't fight the best" is an oxymoron. The best aren't the best because fans say so. This isn't a popularity contest. The best aren't the best because their promoters say so and pay HBO and Showtime to say so.

The best are the best because they win and keep on winning against the #1, 2 and 3 ranked fighters.

So many of you talk so much nonsense about who is the best. Rank exists for that very reason: To distinguish the best for the rest.

You say Manny was one of the best? If that's true, who did he fight that was ranked in the top 3 spots that would validate that statement?

Its easy to mention names who USED TO BE ranked high and were previously on top, but fighting USE TO BE'S doesn't raise rank.

Look at what you're saying: Floyd should have fought a MW years ago. Its the only way you truly believe that someone can beat him .. by being 2 weight classes above.

That's pathetic.

Your passive aggressive bullcrap has exposed your reverence for the dude's ability, but you thought you were subtle enough that no one would notice that you had to nominate a MW to beat a WW.
                Well, for one, Manny Pacquiao moved up from super featherweight, to lightweight, to welterweight, to junior welterweight, to welterweight, and to junior middleweight. Given the circumstances of the Top Rank-Golden Boy feud, Manny Pacquiao fought everyone available to him at these weight classes. But, the point is the dude has never rejected fighting anyone and has always fought whoever they put in front of. Like I said, in his last three fights Manny Pacquiao has fought two top three P4P fighters in Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez. What I mean by Floyd Mayweather fighting champions and not the best is not rocket science. Anyone can get a belt nowadays. Cotto's belt at 154 was a joke. Cotto got raped by Pacquiao and Margarito. Mayweather struck when he saw an opportunity. He always does this, he always fights these dudes on the decline. If you refuse to see this, it's on you. But, to say that Mayweather doesn't take the safe route is denying the truth. Guess what, though, throughout the boxing community, Mayweather has always been known to duck and dodge fighters. He went into retirement for crying out loud. Throughout this whole joke of negotiating for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight who was the one constantly coming up with excuses and conditions in order to avoid the fight? The great fighters of our generation have been fighting each other, beating up on each other, and knocking each other out. Where has Mayweather been? Well, he only fights once a year or he might be in retirement again. We never know with this dude. He has a tendency of waiting things out and fighting these dudes once they have been softened up or when they are on the decline. Pacquiao fought a young hungry undefeated champion and clowned on him, how about Mayweather? Cotto? Mosley? Baldomir? Come on, now.

Comment

No one he's the greatest ever..

Comment

I don't think he could beat Floyd, but Lucas Matthysse could at least be interesting. I think the fight everyone wants to see now is Mayweather-Marquez 2.

Comment

Well, for one, Manny Pacquiao moved up from super featherweight, to lightweight, to welterweight, to junior welterweight, to welterweight, and to junior middleweight. Given the circumstances of the Top Rank-Golden Boy feud, Manny Pacquiao fought everyone available to him at these weight classes. But, the point is the dude has never rejected fighting anyone and has always fought whoever they put in front of. Like I said, in his last three fights Manny Pacquiao has fought two top three P4P fighters in Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez. What I mean by Floyd Mayweather fighting champions and not the best is not rocket science. Anyone can get a belt nowadays. Cotto's belt at 154 was a joke. Cotto got raped by Pacquiao and Margarito. Mayweather struck when he saw an opportunity. He always does this, he always fights these dudes on the decline. If you refuse to see this, it's on you. But, to say that Mayweather doesn't take the safe route is denying the truth. Guess what, though, throughout the boxing community, Mayweather has always been known to duck and dodge fighters. He went into retirement for crying out loud. Throughout this whole joke of negotiating for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight who was the one constantly coming up with excuses and conditions in order to avoid the fight? The great fighters of our generation have been fighting each other, beating up on each other, and knocking each other out. Where has Mayweather been? Well, he only fights once a year or he might be in retirement again. We never know with this dude. He has a tendency of waiting things out and fighting these dudes once they have been softened up or when they are on the decline. Pacquiao fought a young hungry undefeated champion and clowned on him, how about Mayweather? Cotto? Mosley? Baldomir? Come on, now.
                      Ether.....

Comment

Working...
                      X