No announcement yet.

Alexander vs. Mathysse Being Discussed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander vs. Mathysse Being Discussed

• HBO owes former junior welterweight titlist Devon Alexander a fight based on the contract he had with the network for his Jan. 29 unification fight against Timothy Bradley Jr., which Alexander (21-1, 13 KOs) lost on a 10th-round technical decision. There was some discussion from Alexander's team and HBO that he might fight top contender Marcos Maidana of Argentina in June or July in what amounted to a consolation match of an unofficial four-man tournament that also involved Amir Khan, who outpointed Maidana in a December slugfest. However, Maidana signed this week to face Erik Morales on April 9. So now Alexander is focused on trying to make a fight with Lucas Matthysse (28-1, 26 KOs), another powerful puncher and top contender from Argentina. Matthysse lost a tight split decision to Zab Judah on HBO in November and rebounded to knock out former titlist DeMarcus "Chop" Corley in the eighth round Jan. 21. Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's trainer and manager, is interested in making the fight and hopes to have it in his and Alexander's native St. Louis. Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Matthysse's promoter, said it was an intriguing fight. "We would do that fight in a heartbeat," he said. "We'd go to St. Louis. I'm going to talk to HBO and Don King next week about that." Dan Rafael - ESPN
    Last edited by Heru; 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM.

This is a very solid fight and a good way for Alexander to make up for his lackluster performance against bradley.

however a loss would really mess up his career.

Comment

Good fight

Comment

Nice fight this would be huge for both guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          This is a very solid fight and a good way for Alexander to make up for his lackluster performance against bradley.

however a loss would really mess up his career.
          I sense a safe UD for Devon

Comment

Great fight, and a damn good chance for Devon to put the Bradley fight behind him along with some of the "quitter" image that he acquired from it. This fight needs to be held outside of St. Louis. It is obvious that he cant concentrate when fighting at home(It was one of the excuses used for the Kotelnik match). Hold this fight in Atlantic City.

Comment

"it burns" vs matthyse....hmm i sense mismatch and KO in the making

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
                I sense a safe UD for Devon
                This isnt a safe fight at all for Alexander especially coming off his last 2 fights. Alexander isnt good enough imo to make any fight against a live top 10 opponent safe.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
                  This isnt a safe fight at all for Alexander especially coming off his last 2 fights. Alexander isnt good enough imo to make any fight against a live top 10 opponent safe.
                  he could play it safe to be honest

I hope though Lucas keeps the pressure on him to force Devon's hand

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
                    he could play it safe to be honest

I hope though Lucas keeps the pressure on him to force Devon's hand
                    I think after watching how Bradley's pressure got to him and even Urango's to a certain extent that will be the gameplan for Matthyse.

Comment

Working...
                    X