Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The boxing establishment don't care about history, legacies or the fans.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The boxing establishment don't care about history, legacies or the fans.

That much is plain to see now. With Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayworther Jr. they are basically dictating to us what makes a Superfight. How are they able to do this? Everyone I know who has a genuine interest in boxing isn't falling for this farce. How are they projecting to make so much money from this fight? The seats will sell at crazy prices and will sell out. Who is buying them? Boxing can't be funded to this extent by casuals alone.

Boxing is being ruined by governing bodies, network executives and promotional companies thinking it's for them to decide what the fans want and need to be seeing. This Mac-May lark is a scary precedent. If it succeeds we're gonna have even more fights which don't make sense from a competetive, sporting viewpoint. More gifts and robberies favouring the more 'marketable' fighters. It all stinks, quite frankly, and if this event succeeds then it could lead to the death of boxing.

People act as if boxing is some kind of drama, as if there's writers who care about the integrity of the story. It's about networks working with promoters who deal with managers who gather meatheads to punch each other's faces in. A few of those meatheads care about their legacy, but not above the real reason they're doing this; a paycheck.
    That's boxing. For better or for worse.

Comment

They are doing a good job of selling a silly fight. That's not against the law. Look how popular fake pro wrestling is. Nobody has to buy this fight if they don't want to. The UFC brags their fights and fighters up like crazy and fans seem to eat it up. They always call their champions the best PFP fighters in the world as if boxing didn't even exist or count at all. Cage fighting is very exciting and popular world wide. I am a boxing fan first but I love watching UFC fights and some of their fighters are bad ass fighters. Even if no hard core boxing fans bought this fight it would still make huge money from all the Conor fans who did buy it. Conor is unbelievably popular. I think Conor will get his ass kicked but I am a fan of him myself. He might be the best cage fighter of them all and he is a unique, funny and fascinating character. Mayweather does need to win easily or boxing will take a hit from the UFC but boxing will do OK regardless of the outcome.

Comment

Posters need to stop. Floyd made himself relevant outside of his sport. Conor did same. There are great boxers that are not doing the things necessary to make themselves relevant outside of the sport. As such, there fights will not garner the attention or generate the revenue that a Floyd fight will.

Boxing fans need to stop begging for their favorites to be given cross over relevancy. Instead, they need to push their favorites to do more on social media and in the regular media.

You simply can't have it both ways. The sport will never have guys that do nothing to gain interest suddenly become cross over stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionn View Post
          That much is plain to see now. With Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayworther Jr. they are basically dictating to us what makes a Superfight. How are they able to do this? Everyone I know who has a genuine interest in boxing isn't falling for this farce. How are they projecting to make so much money from this fight? The seats will sell at crazy prices and will sell out. Who is buying them? Boxing can't be funded to this extent by casuals alone.

Boxing is being ruined by governing bodies, network executives and promotional companies thinking it's for them to decide what the fans want and need to be seeing. This Mac-May lark is a scary precedent. If it succeeds we're gonna have even more fights which don't make sense from a competetive, sporting viewpoint. More gifts and robberies favouring the more 'marketable' fighters. It all stinks, quite frankly, and if this event succeeds then it could lead to the death of boxing.
          It's all about them dollas, man. Always has been. Always will be. Boxing isn't dying when you have a fight where one boxer at least(ha) is making this much money. It isn't going anywhere. Is it BS? Mostly, but it isn't going anywhere. People like their BS on a daily basis.

Comment

Please stop the f.ucking tears about May/Mac

And why should the people involved with the sport give a Sh.it about the fans. Just read the first page of this website

Paulie M is a joke
            Mayweathers a POs
            Wilder has no power
            Marquez / Klitchkos are over rated

That's just a sample of negative attitudes us hardcore boxing fans have towards boxers, Can you blame them if it's now all about trying to get as much $ as possible with a f.uck the fans attitude

Comment

Working...
            X