Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced boxing techiques used by greats part 1

1. Bait jab

Used by: Roberto Duran, Bob Foster, Joe louis

The fighter throws a jab slow or purposely stops his hands before touching his opponent to make you feel as if you're out of range.Although the jab was never meant to land as it was probe to draw a lead from you're opponent...(Preferably a jab) to counter off of. Robert Duran was a master at this using the bait jab to force his opponent to throw his own jab......... only to be greeted by a vicious combination or by an overhand right

2. Windmill punch

Used by: Miguel Cotto, Carl Froch, Danny Garcia

A very unorthodox move you'll probably hear no coach teach. And because this punch looks like a hook, fighters will mostly be unaware they threw it. This punch is kind of a hook but slightly different. Think of it like a baseball bat trying to hit a ball. Instead of bending the elbow in the hook, they will swing their hand in a circular with your arm straightened out. Delivered correctly with the right momentum can produce heavy damage. Same punch Danny Garcia knocked down Amir Khan with. You can see Cotto showing slight variations of this punch on Sergio Martinez. This move was sorta used as an overhand left that Marcos Maidana used to drop Adrien Broner.

3. Counter Jab

Used by: George Foreman, Oscar De La Hoya, Ken Norton, Gennady Golovkin, Larry Holmes

Its amazing how so many boxers forget about this move even though it was probably the first trick they learn in the amateurs. The move is simply parrying their jab with the palm of their hands while intercepting theirs with their own jab. This can puzzle your opponent for a split second for an open combinations. Very useful if you like to win rounds by jabbing.

These are only three moves for now. Any other advanced techiques you'd like to share?
    Last edited by taken250; 11-03-2015, 05:02 PM.

I have some things... but I'll comment on what u said for now.

1. Not to be confused with a feint. I like the craft of that one. Keeps them guessing. To fool them into thinking you can't reach them. Thats good thinking. There is another use too. There's an exercise. Tell a guy to straighten his arm out laterally and don't let u move it. Place your hand on his arm then flash your other hand in his face... at the same time move his arm with your other hand. He "forgets" about putting strength in his arm because his eyes are occupied and his nervous system reset. So that's a demonstration of another purpose of your "bait jab". To occupy their mind as you set something up.

3. I use this though I hardly call it a windmill.. its still a hook to me just with less bend in the elbow and a wider arc. Important not to lock the elbow or you will get injured.

3. Used this before too. Against a shorter guy..a navy boxer. From Orth stance, catch the jab with your right then fire the jab then fire the right. Completely discombobulated the guy...especially when I landed my right, but he also hated having all his jabs picked off.

Comment

Hard to take you seriously when you post things like, "Its amazing how so many boxers forget about this move" and "fighters will mostly be unaware they threw it".
      Not trying to discourage you as I love discussions on technique but nobody likes a know-it-all. I'm sure Carl Froch was well aware of which punches he was throwing. These are guys who are top talent and to assume they are just forgetting techniques is a bit presumptuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Hard to take you seriously when you post things like, "Its amazing how so many boxers forget about this move" and "fighters will mostly be unaware they threw it".
        Not trying to discourage you as I love discussions on technique but nobody likes a know-it-all. I'm sure Carl Froch was well aware of which punches he was throwing. These are guys who are top talent and to assume they are just forgetting techniques is a bit presumptuous.
        This guys^^

Comment

I don't think a windmill punch is really that amazing or great. Its more of a showboat thing like Naseem dancing like a hyena all around his opponent.

I think an underrated technique is the feint left hand and a overhand right.

Shifting is also a lost art. I saw Bradley did it some in his last fight if I remember correctly. Golovkin is great at it. Duran and Dempsey exhibited it flawlessly.

Duran also was great at deflecting punches and rolling with them. Standing in a stance that enabled him to take hard power shots whilst ducking and countering the next combo targeted for the same place.

Comment

This guy makes the best boxing videos I have EVER seen

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
              This guy makes the best boxing videos I have EVER seen

I already Lee Wiley. Great insight though he's definitely a good analyst

Comment

Working...
              X