Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The resurgence of Miguel Cotto: Is it due to Freddie or Juicing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until he's caught cheating, or at least caught up in a suspicious moment like Floyd's latest, then i don't we can level any PED accusations at him.

I think he has just got his hunger and motivation back under Roach. He's found a trainer that he works well with and plays to his strengths.

I think his opponents have helped also. Due to Martinez's injuries, Canelo will be the first real test Cotto has faced since his 'revival'.

Comment

Originally posted by -DSG- View Post
      He is a cherry picker that's why he chose Canelo it will be easy money!
      Cherry picks aren't usually favored to win the fight. Canelo is a 2 to 1 betting favorite to beat Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
        He has gotten better but its all about the opponents.

Lets be real. Delvin Rodriguez is a D level opponent. Sergio Martinez was way past his prime and on 1 leg literally. He barely beat Martin Murray in Argentina and most thought Murray won.

Then he drained Geale who GGG blew out in three rounds to 157 pounds, a weight he had never fought at.

Lets see how he looks vs a fresh good fighter like Canelos
        Are the opponents really that bad?

Delvin Rodriguez - C level fighter but a C level fighter that whent 12 rounds against Trout and won 3 rounds and 12 Against Lara. Against Roachs version of Cotto he lasted 3 freaking rounds.

Sergio Martinez - MW champion who was favored 3-1 yes he had injuries but what he really in awfull shape? His legs looked fine running away from Cottos left hook. Seem to me he got hurt cold early and never recovered. Cotto took his power with him to 160

Daniel Geale - 2 time champ who up go that point had only been dominated by Golovkin in a fight he actually did well till the ko. Cotto made him look silly and then ko him. He was up to 180 pounds the day of the fight. I dont care how drained or how average you are Cotto is a former lightweight and he did that against a real middleweight.

That is not the rod salkas of the world. Martinez was #1 at 160 and Geale #5 .

Comment

The psychosomatic aspect of hiring a new trainer (he does this a lot) combined with hand picked fighters to make him look good and build up his confidence. I still think this is an interesting fight, but in speaking with my dad last night about this fight (I don't remember my dad ever calling a fight wrong) his exact words were "He'll (Canelo) kill Cotto. I don't think he lasts six rounds." Even more confident in Canelo now.

Comment

Originally posted by North Star View Post
            I think it is a combination of Cotto being with the right trainer for his style of boxing, and the employment of Gavin MacMillan as his strength and conditioning coach. This S&C coach has proven himself with George St. Pierre in his career, and has different methods of S&C training for his fighters. For example, he doesn't believe in excessive roadwork and prefers aquatic excersizes. He also gets his fighters body in condition (depending on the sport) to have peak strength for 3 min rounds with 60 second breaks. This is related to his belief that excessive roadwork is not conducive to a sport with those time/break demands. He gets Cotto peak conditioned to fight 3 mins, take a 60 sec break, and repeat over 12 rounds.
            This ^^^^100%

Comment

Hell yeah. Cotto is faster now? and Knocking out bigger dudes, when he was never able to knock anybody out at 154? Give me a fckng break. Older fighters don't get faster and stronger naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardock View Post
                Hell yeah. Cotto is faster now? and Knocking out bigger dudes, when he was never able to knock anybody out at 154? Give me a fckng break. Older fighters don't get faster and stronger naturally.
                Ah, the preemptive excuses already pouring in.

"Yeah but, Cotto was on the juice doe...Das why Canelo got TKO'd in 9 doe. Nelo is clean doe...He just likes tainted Fajitas doe"

Comment

Dude seriously...its the competition..we've gone through this time and time again. Cotto fans are naive and get all defensive because the truth hurts. immobile martinez with the bad knee,pale drained geale,and journeyman delvin rodriguez.

Comment

I'd say that S&C coach Gavin MacMillan has helped Cotto tremendously. Watch these videos on with MacMillan talking about power and footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                      Given the latest news about Floyd; it make me think about Cotto.

Is it the Juice or is it due to Freddie Roach that he has gotten "better". Or is it just the right opponent at the right time.
                      Neither, its because of the very very selectiveness of his opponents, who happened to be walking corpses while entering the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X