How Americans overrate there greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
    majestic,

do you think a KO win by Marvelous would be out of the question in a bout vs Calzaghe?
    I would never say never in boxing but I would say its unlikley as Haglers best days were at middleweight and Calzaghe has taken the best punches from super-middleweights over the years as to who would win a decision who knows? and its pointless to debtating it as no one will ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
      Americans are like anyone else. When they watch boxing on TV and read about it in magazines and it says a boxer is great, they believe it, just like in Denmark they believe Kessler is great and in the UK we believe Joe is. The problem is that Americans believe something else: that American fighters are better than those in the rest of the world. Throw in the aura of invincibility that attaches itself to past fighters and its easy to see why they think Hagler is this invincible knockout machine. I could see ways for Hagler to beat Joe and for Joe to beat Hagler, I don't think we can say for sure either way. What is beyond doubt is that Hagler faced much better competition in his career than Joe did, so ranks above him all time, easily. We have to remember though that what a fighter achieves in their career against other fighters is not really a guide to how he would do against another. Unless they fight then its really very hard to say.
      i'm american.

my top 5 favorite fighters are:

tua - samoan
      duran - panamanian
      trinidad - puerto rican
      pacquiao - filipino
      kostya - russian

Comment

Originally posted by majestiC View Post
        Hopkimns vs Hagler would be one great fight but I wouldnt pick Hagler by ko.....
        So you think Hagler would KO Hopkins but doesn't have a chance of stopping Calzaghe?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          i'm american.

my top 5 favorite fighters are:

tua - samoan
          duran - panamanian
          trinidad - puerto rican
          pacquiao - filipino
          kostya - russian
          You are special. It also seems you like aggressive punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            So you think Hagler would KO Hopkins but doesn't have a chance of stopping Calzaghe?
            No I said Hagler wouldn't KO Hopkins, but I think he would win a decsion.

Comment

Hopkimns vs Hagler would be one great fight but I wouldnt pick Hagler by ko.....
              hopkins ain't ****.

bernard is not on marvin's level.

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
                You are special. It also seems you like aggressive punchers.
                yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                  hopkins ain't ****.

bernard is not on marvin's level.
                  Hey? Benard was champion of the middleweights for 20 defenses and hes not Marvins level.....this is when overrating old fighters doesnt make sense. I can comprimise with people like Robinson coz he has 150+ fights but Hagler....

Comment

No I said Hagler wouldn't KO Hopkins, but I think he would win a decsion.
                    My bad. Yeah tough to see Hopkins getting KO'd by anyone in his prime. Especially when he went what 15 years without even getting dropped.

Comment

Hey? Benard was champion of the middleweights for 20 defenses and hes not Marvins level.....this is when overrating old fighters doesnt make sense. I can comprimise with people like Robinson coz he has 150+ fights but Hagler....
                      marvin's division (while not particularly deep) was still better than hopkins' crappy ass division.

that's why i laugh when people talk crap about joe's defenses and no-name division when bernard's 160 was utter crap as well. can you seriously argue 160 during hopkins' reign was better than joe's? reid , brewer , mitchell is better than holmes or joppy imo.

eubank is better than any fighter hopkins fought at 160. (glengoffe was a good win but he wasn't the same guy at 160 as he was later on his career at 175 or even 168.)

you want to know how good the 160 division was during bernard's reign?

keith holmes couldn't win the nabf belt at 154 so he jumped to 160 and became the wbc 160 champion for numerous years.

Comment

Working...
                      X