Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing stories about and watching tapes of Ali

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      Tyson became champion in an era of mediocre challengers and faded ex champs, as what Roy Jones was asked the other day who would he rather fight Ali or Tyson ....guess what he said Tyson , one dimensional and easy to read , only had a game of winning and that was it , tillis , green , tucker , smith all showed what limitations Tyson had when fighting tall fighters ....as soon as Tyson boxed someone who could give some back he lost.
      I’ve already shut you with the Lennox story and it’s true Lennox had Tyson’s number by the 2nd day of sparring in the catskills and it’s documented , good knowledgable boxing fans are not suckered in by Mike Tyson’s reign of terror because in reality he never really beat anybody who was like a lewis or Holyfield.
      Even ruddock he was lucky with and Lewis blew ruddock out in 2 rounds.
      Go get some knowledge son and learn it takes more to be a great heavyweight that wearing black boots and no robes when entering the ring
      I’m with you. My post above this helps explain it. Big George can say everyone told him to stay away from Mike Tyson, but I believe he had a better chance of KO’ing Mike than he ever could Evander. I’ve seen all of mikes fights multiple times. I’m a huge fan of his like most. I just think he’s so beloved that people want to believe he was better than he was. That’s a testament to his popularity. But his head movement, jab, foot work is more myth than truth. He’d move his head while punches weren’t coming at him. He often wasent dodging a specific punch but just coming in moving his head. He’d abandon his jab early and rarely was it used to set anything up. He’d had size 13 feet and could jump in or to a side, but he’s a very flat footed fighter. He never liked to fight on the clinch and often looked for the ref to separate. He’s also never been that dirty a fighter save for the ear bite and maybe Botha. He was a great entertainer but I think people confuse that with his skill. He had a good chin. I’m impressed with how long he stood in there vs Lennox, but he had one good round. Neither Lennox or Evander were afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
        I’m with you. My post above this helps explain it. Big George can say everyone told him to stay away from Mike Tyson, but I believe he had a better chance of KO’ing Mike than he ever could Evander. I’ve seen all of mikes fights multiple times. I’m a huge fan of his like most. I just think he’s so beloved that people want to believe he was better than he was. That’s a testament to his popularity. But his head movement, jab, foot work is more myth than truth. He’d move his head while punches weren’t coming at him. He often wasent dodging a specific punch but just coming in moving his head. He’d abandon his jab early and rarely was it used to set anything up. He’d had size 13 feet and could jump in or to a side, but he’s a very flat footed fighter. He never liked to fight on the clinch and often looked for the ref to separate. He’s also never been that dirty a fighter save for the ear bite and maybe Botha. He was a great entertainer but I think people confuse that with his skill. He had a good chin. I’m impressed with how long he stood in there vs Lennox, but he had one good round. Neither Lennox or Evander were afraid.
        I’m also a fan of Tyson mate , but I see it how it is and to me he only had one way of winning , yeah he was very poor when in close up and in a clinch and use to tie both arms like a crab , Lewis and Holyfield were just better all round boxers and they went on to prove it.
        Some fans get tied up in the aura of Tyson and cannot see beyond the fact he was pretty one dimensional.
        Oh well fella each to there own

Comment

Tyson became champion in an era of mediocre challengers and faded ex champs, as what Roy Jones was asked the other day who would he rather fight Ali or Tyson ....guess what he said Tyson , one dimensional and easy to read , only had a game of winning and that was it , tillis , green , tucker , smith all showed what limitations Tyson had when fighting tall fighters ....as soon as Tyson boxed someone who could give some back he lost.
          I’ve already shut you with the Lennox story and it’s true Lennox had Tyson’s number by the 2nd day of sparring in the catskills and it’s documented , good knowledgable boxing fans are not suckered in by Mike Tyson’s reign of terror because in reality he never really beat anybody who was like a lewis or Holyfield.
          Even ruddock he was lucky with and Lewis blew ruddock out in 2 rounds.
          Go get some knowledge son and learn it takes more to be a great heavyweight that wearing black boots and no robes when entering the ring
          You didn't shut a damn thing up.

Lennox himself said he was just trying not to get killed when he first started sparring with Mike. That's not "handling" somebody.

Hell, Lennox got knocked out by Mike's sparring partner in Oliver McCall, remember?

And you're calling Cus D'Amato's fighter one-dimensional?

The guy with speed, power, agility, impregnable defense, power in both hands, and the ability to shift stances at will?

Are you high?

Prime Tyson was one of the greatest defensive fighters ever at heavyweight on top of being one of the greatest punchers of all-time on everybody's metric.

Like I said, his prime was really short due to his own personal demons, like Edwin Valero, Wilfred Benitez, and countless other guys. That's all you can say about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
            Maybe an 86-89 Tyson could beat an 86-89 Lewis or Holyfield. But nothing Tyson went through back then would have prepared him for a “prime” Holyfield or Lewis. Kids today prolly think “prime” is Tyson’s first name. Only Mike Tyson could have lost in the biggest upset in boxing history. It didn’t happen to anyone else, it happened to Mike. Mike lost to Kevin McBride, are u saying Ruiz is worse than McBride? Mike is not overrated as an entertainer, people cared when he fought. But c’mon he did a lot worse than the odds given to him in the end. I had his game, greatest hits, still my old man said a guy named Evander Holyfield will beat Mike Tyson the day after the Spinks fight. I mean how many times do u hear people admit to the fights they picked wrong with Mike? Ruiz worse than McBride?!!!!
            Mike Tyson lost to Kevin McBride at 38. 18 years after winning the heavyweight championship.

AJ lost to Ruiz in his athletic prime.

Unless you're gonna tell me AJ's was drugged during that fight, there's no reason for that.

"Prime Holyfield" is the biggest drug cheat in the history of the sport, who had to retired after they took a toll on his heart, remember. A lot of what he did at heavyweight to me is invalidated by that fact.

And "Prime Lennox" got knocked out by Mike Tyson's sparring partner and Hasim Rahman.

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
              You didn't shut a damn thing up.

Lennox himself said he was just trying not to get killed when he first started sparring with Mike. That's not "handling" somebody.

Hell, Lennox got knocked out by Mike's sparring partner in Oliver McCall, remember?

And you're calling Cus D'Amato's fighter one-dimensional?

The guy with speed, power, agility, impregnable defense, power in both hands, and the ability to shift stances at will?

Are you high?

Prime Tyson was one of the greatest defensive fighters ever at heavyweight on top of being one of the greatest punchers of all-time on everybody's metric.

Like I said, his prime was really short due to his own personal demons, like Edwin Valero, Wilfred Benitez, and countless other guys. That's all you can say about him.
              ****ing goon...Wilfredo Benitez achieved far far more than Tyson , youngest ever world champion , 3 weight world champion defeated Roberto Duran and is considered one the greatest welterweights of all time and a defensive genius......it just happened that he came up against 2 of the greatest welterweights of all time in leonard and hearns
              Do you ac5ually know what your spouting.
              Tyson was good knocking over tomatoe cans and should stick to fighting the Lou saverese and mcneeleys of this world.
              Tyson was a one trick pony who when came up against a boxer who could 1 adapt and 2 take his shots and no other way of winning..he got beat every time
              As I said gumbo Lewis is and always was a far superior boxer and far and beyond what Tyson ever did.
              Walking to a ring wearing little black boots and no robe is not a sign of all time greatness......so as I said gumbo you have been shut up and you keep talking about is what ifs and maybe’s.
              He lost all his major fights against fighters who are classed as all times greats in there prime or close.
              Holmes was old , spinks was a light heavyweight and that’s about it unless you class Tony tubbs and Carl weathers as all time legends.
              GTFOH and go learn some knowledge son
              Last edited by The plunger man; 03-22-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

****ing goon...Wilfredo Benitez achieved far far more than Tyson , youngest ever world champion , 3 weight world champion defeated Roberto Duran and is considered one the greatest welterweights of all time and a defensive genius......it just happened that he came up against 2 of the greatest welterweights of all time in leonard and hearns
                Do you ac5ually know what your spouting.
                Tyson was good knocking over tomatoe cans and should stick to fighting the Lou saverese and mcneeleys of this world.
                Tyson was a one trick pony who when came up against a boxer who could 1 adapt and 2 take his shots and no other way of winning..he got beat every time
                As I said gumbo Lewis is and always was a far superior boxer and far and beyond what Tyson ever did.
                Walking to a ring wearing little black boots and no robe is not a sign of all time greatness......so as I said gumbo you have been shut up and you keep talking about is what ifs and maybe’s.
                He lost all his major fights against fighters who are classed as all times greats in there prime or close.
                Holmes was old , spinks was a light heavyweight and that’s about it unless you class Tony tubbs and Carl weathers as all time legends.
                GTFOH and go learn some knowledge son
                Dummy, I neer said Tyson was better than Benitez in a P4P sense, just that they both burned out at early ages. Edwin Valero's another guy, who self-destructed.

Benitez didn't go to prison for 3 years at 25 did he?

He wasn't out of the ring for 4 years was he?

Tyson fought everybody that was there for him to fight when he was at his best and demolished them, even guys that gave Holyfield and Lewis hell like Larry Holmes (who Holyfield didn't knock out 5 years after Tyson demolished him). And Oliver McCall who Tyson used to beat on daily, knocked Lennox cold out.

You discount Tyson's win over the hall of famer Spinks, because he was a light-heavyweight, but Holyfield lost to Michael Moorer, who was a light-heavyweight, and James Toney, who started off as a middleweight, FFS.

You overlooking what going to prison in in mid 20s took out of him and his career shows me that you're just a biased hater.

It'd be like not acknowledging what Ali lost after his Vietnam exile. He still did great things, but would've never lost to Frazier, Norton, Spinks, or those other guys.

And once again won't acknowledge that he fought Holyfield 10 years after he won the heavyweight title & Lennox 16 full years after winning the heavyweight title.

How many heavyweight champions who aren't were still great 16 years after winning titles?

The answer is George Foreman (who's better than Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis, IMO), but that is it.

Comment

^^^^^

Closer to the truth than the other guy. By a lot.

Edit

Read further back. I retract the “by a lot” portion of my statement. The rest is good.
                  Last edited by TheMyspaceDayz; 03-23-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Mike Tyson lost to Kevin McBride at 38. 18 years after winning the heavyweight championship.

AJ lost to Ruiz in his athletic prime.

Unless you're gonna tell me AJ's was drugged during that fight, there's no reason for that.

"Prime Holyfield" is the biggest drug cheat in the history of the sport, who had to retired after they took a toll on his heart, remember. A lot of what he did at heavyweight to me is invalidated by that fact.

And "Prime Lennox" got knocked out by Mike Tyson's sparring partner and Hasim Rahman.
                    Fair points, honestly. We’ve all seen everything. There’s no new information that can sway anything.

AJ at 29-30yrs old is described as in his athletic prime.
                    Tyson at 29-30yrs old would be referred to as 10yrs past his first title win.
                    Mike improved for five years as a pro than declined for fifteen years. Mikes fault he didn’t fight evander earlier. He wanted more time than he got before he fought Lennox. So how would someone reference that if he got more time? A best possible mike or would everyone just say he was even older? Lots of ways to slice it.

Comment

Dummy, I neer said Tyson was better than Benitez in a P4P sense, just that they both burned out at early ages. Edwin Valero's another guy, who self-destructed.

Benitez didn't go to prison for 3 years at 25 did he?

He wasn't out of the ring for 4 years was he?

Tyson fought everybody that was there for him to fight when he was at his best and demolished them, even guys that gave Holyfield and Lewis hell like Larry Holmes (who Holyfield didn't knock out 5 years after Tyson demolished him). And Oliver McCall who Tyson used to beat on daily, knocked Lennox cold out.

You discount Tyson's win over the hall of famer Spinks, because he was a light-heavyweight, but Holyfield lost to Michael Moorer, who was a light-heavyweight, and James Toney, who started off as a middleweight, FFS.

You overlooking what going to prison in in mid 20s took out of him and his career shows me that you're just a biased hater.

It'd be like not acknowledging what Ali lost after his Vietnam exile. He still did great things, but would've never lost to Frazier, Norton, Spinks, or those other guys.

And once again won't acknowledge that he fought Holyfield 10 years after he won the heavyweight title & Lennox 16 full years after winning the heavyweight title.

How many heavyweight champions who aren't were still great 16 years after winning titles?

The answer is George Foreman (who's better than Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis, IMO), but that is it.
                      sugar Ray Leonard had 1 fight in five years , had years of alcohol and cocaine use and still came back to win more world titles , Tyson fury was out the ring for 3 years and ballooned to 380lbs and mental health issues do stop trying to blame Tyson being in prison and losing it , even before he went to prison he went life and death with razor ruddock 2 times and ruddock was then destroyed in 2 rounds by Lewis a year later.
                      Tyson became champion in an era of weak challengers , tubbs,williams,Biggs and Smith says it all.
                      Holmes was 39 , spinks was a light heavy and that’s two of his best wins.
                      Lewis and Holyfield are just better

Comment

Working...
                      X