Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
    Well we did have the pleasure of watching Holyfield.
    True but again holyfield was 6'2" and came up to 210 when fighting heavyweight would you want to wait and allow Marciano to put on the weight and get accostomed to carrying it? That is a different story. But to assume at his prime size he could step into a different era where guys average 20lbs more than him and dominate the way he did. that would be the equivalent of taking a great cruiser weight and thinking because he crushed guys his size he could do the same at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
      K then who is? in hw that is?

Louis (who he beat) ?, Ali who lost 5 times more than Marciano did? Dont give me **** about how old Ali was for a lot of those losses, the man didnt know when to quit. Marciano was the smarter fighter he knew when to quit.

You cant prove anything about era's thats going on pure trivial opinion. Whos to say Rocky's comp was weaker? You dont know that.

Rocky hit hard enough to KO any of these giants today.
      So.....Canelo Alvarez is the greatest of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
        I cant get with that one. I think in this case people are Romanticising the past too much. neither joe louis nor marciano would be able to over come the reach of either of the Klits. Lets be real about this the weight divisions exist for a reason. Yes they were great in their time and given that the average heavyweight was around 200 lbs at the time it makes sense to say they were the greatest of their era.

Think about this george foreman in his prime was 6'4" 240 lbs so you really think a marciano or louis could have given up 5" and 50 lbs to foreman and still stood toe to toe with him? ( as neither were dancers)
        Foreman never weight close to 240 in his prime. In his post-prime, he was beaten by Holyfield who weighed almost 60 pounds less.

Sam Langford was a natural welter who could drop heavyweights... size is overrated even if we're not talking about two heavies.

Weight means very little when you're dealing with heavyweights. Reach means more, but Louis was an impeccable inside fighter. His footwork was superior to anyone today, so he's going to be able to set up angles to land his right hand.

You're caught up in the modern myth. It's just not how things are. Boxing skill and training has devolved severely since Louis' day. In the end, skill carries the day.
        Last edited by SBleeder; 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

White people love to pull out Rocky Marciano out of their arsee, i would know because i am white. Ive seen lads say Rocky Marciano and never seen a single fight of his.

Facts are Rocky was 5'7 and weighed around 175, he wouldnt have beaten a Ali, let alone Tyson, or a Lennox or a Vitali....he was to small and to light

He retired undefeated *clap*, but who did he really beat and word is the Mafia were paying people to take a dive in the ring when they fought him.

Rocky Marciano isnt a real HW, and he would have a tough time against any decent HW.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Foreman never weight close to 240 in his prime. In his post-prime, he was beaten by Holyfield who weighed almost 60 pounds less.

Weight means very little when you're dealing with heavyweights. Reach means more, but Louis was an impeccable inside fighter. His footwork was superior to anyone today, so he's going to be able to set up angles to land his right hand.

You're caught up in the modern myth. It's just not how things are. Boxing skill and training has devolved severely since Louis' day. In the end, skill carries the day.
            You are correct I should not lump Louis in with Marciano in this respect as louis did fight bigger men.

And forman's prime was closer to 220.

So now that the discussion moves away from power and toughness to skill how do you create a basis to now compare the skillsets of a marciano to that of an ali or frazier?

Comment

If Derek Chisora was around in Rocky Marcianos era, Del Boy would be regarded as a ATG.

Comment

It also seems odd that we have pretty much settled that triangle theories don't work where at least there may be a common fighter to judge the two opponents by but we are all adamant about one fighter being able to beat a fighter from another era where no commonality exists lol
                Last edited by RapidFire_Royce; 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Some people act like he was a fluke or something when he is the only undefeated HW champion.

Heck even Ali himself said he didn't know who'd win in a fight between him and Marciano.

Coming from Ali thats basically like admitting defeat considering how much **** Ali used to talk.

IMO, Rocky doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think prime Rocky, would have beat prime Mike Tyson, would have beat prime Ali, would have beat prime Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, ect.
                  If I had the mind of a Floydiot I would say he's the best ever cause he's undefeated and knock out Joe Louis and Ezzard charles. Know as a boxing fan with common sense ,Ali, Foreman, K brothers, Lennox Lewis would be to much for the little Heavy weight. Rocky knocking out a shot Joe Louis is equal to Floyd beating a Shot Mosley and Delahoya who left the better years behind them. No Floydiots I don't want to hear that Mosley beat Maragrito 18 months prior to that I;ll just say Mosley had a draw with a D level fighter from the Contender or Delahoya was the champ yea he won the title from a C level champ Mayorga who got Ko'd by every elite fighter after 147

Comment

Some people act like he was a fluke or something when he is the only undefeated HW champion.

Heck even Ali himself said he didn't know who'd win in a fight between him and Marciano.

Coming from Ali thats basically like admitting defeat considering how much **** Ali used to talk.
                    If you watched that whole interview you would know he went back on that at the end. There are people that believe he was the greatest HW of all time, but they base that on his record. Record alone doesn't define how great you are.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                      White people love to pull out Rocky Marciano out of their arsee, i would know because i am white. Ive seen lads say Rocky Marciano and never seen a single fight of his.

Facts are Rocky was 5'7 and weighed around 175, he wouldnt have beaten a Ali, let alone Tyson, or a Lennox or a Vitali....he was to small and to light

He retired undefeated *clap*, but who did he really beat and word is the Mafia were paying people to take a dive in the ring when they fought him.

Rocky Marciano isnt a real HW, and he would have a tough time against any decent HW.
                      Actually he was 5'11 or 5 '10 about the size of Mike Tyson in height but weighed 185 pounds which would have made him a light heavy to day because I'm sure with the 2 day weigh in they have today compared with the same day weigh in they had back than he would have sucked down to 175 today
                      Last edited by Luilun; 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X