Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rigo the best pure boxer in the last 25 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    He might.

He have Frampton a whole lot of problems before the KO.
    I hope so. Rigo vs. Martinez is definitely a fight I would like to see before the year is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      To me best pure boxer has nothing to do with being an outfighter or an infighter, it's about who has the most skills. Take away the speed, power, reflexes, volume, rough house tactics, what's left? Pure boxing skills, which can be displayed on the outside, inside, at mid-range, when counter-punching, when leading, when counter-punching on the move, etc. If you fight long enough and you fight good fighters, chances are you will have to adjust to your opponent because your usual style doesn't work, for one reason or another. Lopez's unwillingness (or inability) to go outside of his usual style almost resulted in a loss against Alvarez.
      Yeah I hate classifying fighters under one style because most of them have so many elements to their game.

But from what I get from this thread is they are asking "who employs the pure boxing style" the best. I think what he's really asking is how does Rigo compare to other great pure boxers/outfighters.

And like I said earlier, its hard to say because he hasn't really fought a guy to force him to get out of his comfort zone. Let's see how his style holds up when he's in there with a guy like this:

Comment

• um, no......and RJ was not a pure boxer

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Yeah I hate classifying fighters under one style because most of them have so many elements to their game.

But from what I get from this thread is they are asking "who employs the pure boxing style" the best. I think what he's really asking is how does Rigo compare to other great pure boxers/outfighters.

And like I said earlier, its hard to say because he hasn't really fought a guy to force him to get out of his comfort zone. Let's see how his style holds up when he's in there with a guy like this:

It's really disrespectful to think Rigondeaux can compare to that, in no way disrespect but look at the early rounds, Nelson getting popped with jabs, goes in behind a crab defense, gets ripped with lead left uppercuts to the mid, right hooks to the body, by the time he reacts Whitaker is out of there poppin' him with jabs again, RIDICULOUS.

That's another example of of the bold, no one is knocking Rigondeaux we're simply saying that what Rigondeaux employs, it's clearly been done better.

Comment

• Rigondeaux is, in term of pure boxing talent, skill, power, speed and everything else, the greatest to ever put on a pair of gloves. I honestly believe he would stop Robinson at 147, that guy was chinny as hell.

Comment

• it sounds like some of you don't know what a pure boxer is / does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                To me best pure boxer has nothing to do with being an outfighter or an infighter, it's about who has the most skills. Take away the speed, power, reflexes, volume, rough house tactics, what's left? Pure boxing skills, which can be displayed on the outside, inside, at mid-range, when counter-punching, when leading, when counter-punching on the move, etc. If you fight long enough and you fight good fighters, chances are you will have to adjust to your opponent because your usual style doesn't work, for one reason or another. Lopez's unwillingness (or inability) to go outside of his usual style almost resulted in a loss against Alvarez.

you're describing well roundedness, not a "pure boxer."

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                  you're describing well roundedness, not a "pure boxer."
                  No I'm not saying a fighter has to be able to do all these things to be called a pure boxer, I'm saying pure boxing skills can be shown in each of these areas, it's not restricted to outfighting, at least not IMO.

Comment

• RiGOD = G.O.A.T, end of discussion.

Picasso, Da Vinci & Michelangelo all rolled in 1.

Comment

• I always thought Calderon was the best technical boxer I'd ever seen

Comment

Working...
                      X