No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs Saul Alvarez Master Thread - Post ALL Related Topics HERE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techliam View Post
    By the 152lb catchweight, I can only conclude that Mayweather isn't confident enough in beating him at 154lb. What other reason can there be?
    How about Mayweather having an ego the size of a planet and showing that no matter how much Team Alvarez spout "all opponents MUST fight us at 154lbs", he doesn't get dictated to. You could be right that as he's no spring chicken, he thinks making the target weight a little harder makes up for potentially giving up 20lbs in the ring.

Let me ask you this. Would you rather the fight not happen at all rather than at 152lbs? It seems like this catchweight is more of a godsend than the fight to some "boxing" fans because although they're getting the fight they wanted, the one they said Mayweather would NEVER take, they have something else to latch onto rather than say "I was wrong". What a relief eh? It's an irony that Mayweather being a hypocrite has done them a favour.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
      I just saw this news. All haters saying Floyd will dodge so and so - where are you now?

This is a risky fight. Canelo is young, strong and highly active. Mayweather has more skill, but the question is workrate.
      Floyd dont do catchweights! He, Ellerbe and all his fans said its beneath him and completely out of order to ask for one!

Comment

Floyd UD...

He's a little better than a 2 to 1 favorite opening up. Y'all better snatch those odds up, I think that's a little close.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
          I just saw this news. All haters saying Floyd will dodge so and so - where are you now?

This is a risky fight. Canelo is young, strong and highly active. Mayweather has more skill, but the question is workrate.
          Canelo is highly active?

LOL no.

Mayweather doesn't need a high workrate to beat Canelo... A) Canelo doesn't have one himself, and B) All of Floyds opponents output drop significantly when facing Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
            How about Mayweather having an ego the size of a planet and showing that no matter how much Team Alvarez spout "all opponents MUST fight us at 154lbs", he doesn't get dictated to. You could be right that as he's no spring chicken, he thinks making the target weight a little harder makes up for potentially giving up 20lbs in the ring.

Let me ask you this. Would you rather the fight not happen at all rather than at 152lbs? It seems like this catchweight is more of a godsend than the fight to some "boxing" fans because although they're getting the fight they wanted, the one they said Mayweather would NEVER take, they have something else to latch onto rather than say "I was wrong". What a relief eh? It's an irony that Mayweather being a hypocrite has done them a favour.
            I said he would'nt fight him at 154 and I was right...and dont laughably try and deflect this when floyd, Lenny and all his grubby, ******ed fans said catchweights were for *****es...a lot of you morons even said its a form of cheating. Hold your hand up, admit you've been a nobhead and keep it moving.

Comment

On topic though, I'm glad they got it done, cant give floyd full credit as he has hung himself with so many statements regarding CW's. Such a shame, I would have had so much respect for floyd if he had stood on his words, but just more sham behaviour from him. He will probably win by UD over a 'drained'(lol) Canelo, but seriously, the sooner this dude retires and stops turning the sport into a circus, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                I said he would'nt fight him at 154 and I was right...and dont laughably try and deflect this when floyd, Lenny and all his grubby, ******ed fans said catchweights were for *****es...a lot of you morons even said its a form of cheating. Hold your hand up, admit you've been a nobhead and keep it moving.
                First off, I haven't defended it or tried to deflect it in any thread. I think Mayweather's a hypocrite for doing what he's flamed Pacquiao for doing. So please leave the petty name calling and school yard rubbish at the door if you want to talk boxing.

I was playing devil's advocate to a question posed. Why would Mayweather take the fight everyone wanted and score a PR own goal at the same time? Aside from the obvious hypocrisy, as boxing fan I still want to see the fight like I wanted to see Pacquiao/Cotto fight and the Chavez/Whitaker fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                  First off, I haven't defended it or tried to deflect it in any thread. I think Mayweather's a hypocrite for doing what he's flamed Pacquiao for doing. So please leave the petty name calling and school yard rubbish at the door if you want to talk boxing.

I was playing devil's advocate to a question posed. Why would Mayweather take the fight everyone wanted and score a PR own goal at the same time? Aside from the obvious hypocrisy, as boxing fan I still want to see the fight like I wanted to see Pacquiao/Cotto fight and the Chavez/Whitaker fight.
                  If he wins, it has lost all value because he has hung himself with his own words...Ellerbe went even further and said 2lbs makes a huge amount of difference!

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                    On topic though, I'm glad they got it done, cant give floyd full credit as he has hung himself with so many statements regarding CW's. Such a shame, I would have had so much respect for floyd if he had stood on his words, but just more sham behaviour from him. He will probably win by UD over a 'drained'(lol) Canelo, but seriously, the sooner this dude retires and stops turning the sport into a circus, the better.
                    What is wrong with your stance is that you won't give him as much credit for the fight, not because it is at a catch weight but because Floyd said he wouldn't do catch weights. The fight stands or falls on its on merits, not on what was said before the fight. The fight is at 152, you can take that or criticize that but to say you will give him even less credit for the win because of something he said is ludicrous. You weigh up the value of the fight on the fight itself. It's like saying you will give someone less credit for a fight because he said he was Atheist and would never pray to a God and then converted to Christianity before the fight. It has no relevance to the fight itself. Judge it based on the fight. If you don't like the catch weight that is fair criticism but to give less credit because he went against his own word is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                      What is wrong with your stance is that you won't give him as much credit for the fight, not because it is at a catch weight but because Floyd said he wouldn't do catch weights. The fight stands or falls on its on merits, not on what was said before the fight. The fight is at 152, you can take that or criticize that but to say you will give him even less credit for the win because of something he said is ludicrous. You weigh up the value of the fight on the fight itself. It's like saying you will give someone less credit for a fight because he said he was Atheist and would never pray to a God and then converted to Christianity before the fight. It has no relevance to the fight itself. Judge it based on the fight. If you don't like the catch weight that is fair criticism but to give less credit because he went against his own word is crazy.
                      I agree.

Who cares what words were spoken... on a personal level, he's a hypocrite, but from a resume stand point... his opinions on catch weights do not matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X