No announcement yet.

Chiesa files lawsuit against Conor McGregor, others for Brooklyn bus attack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiesa files lawsuit against Conor McGregor, others for Brooklyn bus attack

Michael Chiesa’s attorney made it official Monday night. The UFC fighter is suing Conor McGregor and others in response to the infamous dolly-throwing incident that occurred back in April in Brooklyn.

Chiesa filed a lawsuit against McGregor, McGregor Sports and Entertainment, Barclays Center, McGregor’s cohorts and others Monday in New York State Supreme Court, Kings County, per the complaint obtained by MMA Fighting. TMZ was the first to report the news.

Among the claims made in the suit are negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, assault and battery.

After UFC 223 media day in April, McGregor, the former UFC lightweight champion, and dozens of others stormed the Barclays Center loading dock in Brooklyn, attacking a bus that held UFC fighters. McGregor picked up a dolly sitting nearby and threw it at the bus, shattering a window, which sprayed glass onto Chiesa and others inside the vehicle.

Chiesa was left bloody from the incident and had to withdraw from his UFC 223 fight against Anthony Pettis, which was scheduled for two days later at Barclays. Ray Borg, another fighter on the bus, had to withdraw from a scheduled bout with Brandon Moreno due to glass getting in his eye.

McGregor was arrested later that night on charges that included a pair of felonies. The Irish superstar ultimately pleaded guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct in July. As part of the plea deal, McGregor had to perform five days of community service and undergo three days of anger management courses.

The attack was reportedly in response to McGregor rival Khabib Nurmagomedov and his team confronting McGregor’s teammate Artem Lobov in the UFC host hotel earlier that week. Nurmagomedov was one of the fighters on the bus in the Barclays loading dock.

In the complaint filed Monday, Chiesa’s attorney Joseph W. Murray writes that Chiesa was “attacked, assaulted and/or battered” by McGregor and his cohorts (which go unnamed), resulting in “serious personal, economic, and other injury.”

Murray writes in the complaint that McGregor was operating on behalf of McGregor Sports and Entertainment, his promotional company. Barclays Center and parent company BSE were named as defendants, because, per the complaint, those employed at the Brooklyn arena “failed to adequately perform their security duties.”

The complaint also alleges intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent hiring, retention and supervision. It states that Chiesa “has been rendered sick, sore, lame and disabled; that he has experienced pain, suffering and a loss of enjoyment of life and will experience same in the future; that he has been obliged to expend, and will expend in the future, sums of money for medical aid and attention, as well as compensation for economic loss; that he has suffered personal injuries, lost opportunities, and economic damages; that he has been unable to attend to his usual avocation and activities, has suffered a loss and other benefits as a result and believes he will continue to suffer same in the future.”

No dollar amount is mentioned in the complaint, but Murray writes that Chiesa “demands judgment” that “exceeds the jurisdictional limits of all lower courts.”

Chiesa, 30, has said that he believes he would have gotten a UFC lightweight title shot — and the money that comes with it — against Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 had he been able to compete. Nurmagomedov’s opponent Max Holloway was unable to fight due to weight-cutting issues and Nurmagomedov ended up fighting Al Iaquinta on the card. Chiesa was a higher ranked lightweight than Iaquinta and he believes he would have been tabbed.

“I lost a title shot,” Chiesa said in June. “I have proof. I was the highest-ranked guy on the card. I would have stepped in to fight Khabib at the drop of a dime.”

Respect to Chiesa on getting paid here. F#cked up situation & I don't know how Conor just doesn't pay him off cuz he's unlikely to win this court case I would guess.

Comment

get that money!

Comment

Good for Cheisa, I'm surprised Thug Rose isn't suing for emotional damages too...

Comment

Never liked Chiesa, he looks like what would happen if Joe Dirt fucced Caitlyn Jenner and had a baby.

In any case, I support the guy 100% - get that money at all costs, Conor has enough of it and if he plays his cards right he can make more money from a payout than in 10 fights in the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
            Never liked Chiesa, he looks like what would happen if Joe Dirt fucced Caitlyn Jenner and had a baby.

In any case, I support the guy 100% - get that money at all costs, Conor has enough of it and if he plays his cards right he can make more money from a payout than in 10 fights in the UFC.
            Likely why Khabib fight finally got made.

Comment

Working...
            X