Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are promotors/managers/&fans in such a rush for boxers to move up in weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are promotors/managers/&fans in such a rush for boxers to move up in weight?

It seems ever since the De La Hoya era, promotors, managers, & fans have wanted their boxers to move up in weight and grab an alphabet title but I think this has been proven to bite fighters in the butt. I respect guys like Rigondeaux that know their body limits and want to conquer 1 weight class, to often I think young boxers are pushing their bodies to the limit and taking to much to soon, which I blame on their management & sanctioning belts. I guess the point I am trying to make is we need more Unified champs to eliminate the Leo Santa Cruz's of boxing.

Agreed I hear all this nonsense thrown at Ward oh he is duck Adonis Kovalev but they fight in the divsion north of where he is at ..I agree we need more unified champs so this alphabet soup can stop !

Comment

Because modern day boxers fight at much lower weight classes than they actually should. Through the beginning years it becomes harder and harder on the boxer. Promoters want their boxers healthy and not drained so they fight at smaller weights until it's nearly impossible for them to do it healthy then move up.

Comment

Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
        Agreed I hear all this nonsense thrown at Ward oh he is duck Adonis Kovalev but they fight in the divsion north of where he is at ..I agree we need more unified champs so this alphabet soup can stop !
        Ward's next fight is at a catchweight of 172. That is above the SMW limit of 168 and is in the LHW division where Kovalev and Stevenson rule. So they all fight in the same division now and there is no reason for Ward not to meet one of them, or Beterbiev, down the road. Other than the usual politics of boxing.

As for why people want boxers to move up? In most cases with fans, it is misguided comparisons to other great fighters who started their careers at low weight classes and moved up as their body matured. So they mistakenly believe that to be a great fighter, a boxer MUST fight in different divisions. They ignore basic facts of physiology that some people just naturally belong in one division.

IF there were same day weigh ins, this might force people to fight in their natural division. Putting restrictions on how much weight can be gained between the weigh in and when they walk into the ring would also solve many problems of fighters competing in divisions they do not belong in. In fact, it might well change the entire landscape of the sport, give the fans much better fights to watch and be healthier for the fighters all at the same time.

Comment

Promoters probably because they want big money fights which might require fighting at another weight.

Fans because they want to see certain fights happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
            Ward's next fight is at a catchweight of 172. That is above the SMW limit of 168 and is in the LHW division where Kovalev and Stevenson rule. So they all fight in the same division now and there is no reason for Ward not to meet one of them, or Beterbiev, down the road. Other than the usual politics of boxing.

As for why people want boxers to move up? In most cases with fans, it is misguided comparisons to other great fighters who started their careers at low weight classes and moved up as their body matured. So they mistakenly believe that to be a great fighter, a boxer MUST fight in different divisions. They ignore basic facts of physiology that some people just naturally belong in one division.

IF there were same day weigh ins, this might force people to fight in their natural division. Putting restrictions on how much weight can be gained between the weigh in and when they walk into the ring would also solve many problems of fighters competing in divisions they do not belong in. In fact, it might well change the entire landscape of the sport, give the fans much better fights to watch and be healthier for the fighters all at the same time.

Yeah I don't think Ward will stay at LHW ..I also think all these Catchweights are making a mochary of the divsions ..I look at Julio Ceasar Chavez the guy fights at middle comes in a dam near LHW fights at LHW and gets starched ..Also the fact that there are so many belts enables all this as well..I know catch weights have always been apart of boxing but seems now a days promoters take more advantage of it .

Comment

[QUOTE=Barcham;15619447]Ward's next fight is at a catchweight of 172. That is above the SMW limit of 168 and is in the LHW division where Kovalev and Stevenson rule. So they all fight in the same division now and there is no reason for Ward not to meet one of them, or Beterbiev, down the road. Other than the usual politics of boxing.

Personally I think its smart for Ward to come into his first fight back above 168 to basically see where his body stands. If he were trying to claim an Alphabet title at 175 (even as a fan) Id call BS. Basically I think Wards taking care of his body and testing the waters so to speak. Im sure "if" he does go back to 168 itll be a tune up there as well because he will still need to see how his body reacts to cutting weight again because I am sure he's put on a little weight in his inactivity.

^^^I totally agree with this^^^ fighters and their managers/promotors are trying to base their careers on what other fighters did. A good example of a weight move up failure is Abner Mares...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                It seems ever since the De La Hoya era, promotors, managers, & fans have wanted their boxers to move up in weight and grab an alphabet title but I think this has been proven to bite fighters in the butt. I respect guys like Rigondeaux that know their body limits and want to conquer 1 weight class, to often I think young boxers are pushing their bodies to the limit and taking to much to soon, which I blame on their management & sanctioning belts. I guess the point I am trying to make is we need more Unified champs to eliminate the Leo Santa Cruz's of boxing.
                Because those fighters are are struggling to make weight so they have to move up

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                  Because those fighters are are struggling to make weight so they have to move up
                  I can agree with this for some boxers but I also think some are to lazy to make the weight. I watched a 2 days episode on HBO on Terrance Crawford and seen what he went through to make 135 vs Beltran. Made me respect smaller fighters more but it also showed a man should know his limits and whats best for his career.

Comment

Unfortunately its all about money now.

Comment

Working...
                    X