No announcement yet.

fees and process of competing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fees and process of competing

maybe im just confused but it seems to me it would cost a hell of a lot of money to start fighting.

first off im trying to find a gym to train at. not many that are very close to me. i live in ny and obviously tons in the city but im on the island and nothing very close.

so the ones ive found the prices are insane. the closest one to my house is $55 per half hour session of private lesson. im not even sure what the gym fee is for being a member.

the other is $60 for one hour training session.

now if im looking to start competing obviously with enough time to learn everything would i have to pay all these personal training sessions plus hiring someone to manage me?

just give me the run down since im new to this

Gym is free, one-on-one trainer is free, if you don't have wraps and gloves, they are free to use, everything.. free, free, free.

As a matter of fact, 75% of the gyms around here are free.

Free.

Cept your USA Boxing Handbook, that'll cost you 35 dollars (same everywhere).

Boxing should be kept as low priced as possible, **** gyms charging everything. Save the 100 dollar memberships for MMA bull****.

Comment

i dont get it, where do you find people willing to train you for free?

Comment

You have to realize that if a gym is going to be free, the trainers are there because they love what they are doing. You will get more out of it then ever paying someone 60 bucks an hour to have you throw jabs at a bag for a couple rounds.

My guess would be your PAL's, they are always free. County run gyms that are ran through the police department. You can always call a gym and then ask for a list of gyms in the area as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pete89 View Post
          maybe im just confused but it seems to me it would cost a hell of a lot of money to start fighting.

first off im trying to find a gym to train at. not many that are very close to me. i live in ny and obviously tons in the city but im on the island and nothing very close.

so the ones ive found the prices are insane. the closest one to my house is $55 per half hour session of private lesson. im not even sure what the gym fee is for being a member.

the other is $60 for one hour training session.

now if im looking to start competing obviously with enough time to learn everything would i have to pay all these personal training sessions plus hiring someone to manage me?

just give me the run down since im new to this

is there a PAL by you?? where are u at in Long island? PALs are free.. volunteer trainers.. my new trainer has been training guys for over 30 years

Comment

im in nassau county

Comment

Hmm, seems like most of the gyms in Long Island are private boxing gyms that really try to focus on luring rich clientel into their gyms for private lessons. You have to try to find a gym that focuses on youth enrichment and is more of a public funded gym. Any of these gyms close to your home?

http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/newyork.htm

You should never really pay for private lessons, it's a ripoff. I go to a nonprofit gym that charges me $30 a month. I get to train 4x a week for 2+ hours. If I was under 18, I would only have to pay $15. All the coaches there are volunteers. Their goal is to enrich kids lives and get them focused on bettering themselves.

Comment

thanks for the help, ive actually checked out that list and every gym within a 30 minute drive has very high private session fees. there is one PAL thats about a 30 minute drive but no web site or contact info for it. i might have to go down and see

Comment

To be honest check the PAL out first. I went with a gym first and ended up getting a solid trainer who left because the gym wouldnt pay him. Then I had two other trainers come in, both inconsistent and not willing to dedicate time to me. I went down to the PAL just a shot in the dark linked up with a trainer and been with him ever since. In the 3 months i spent with him he had me in fight shape and coached me thru my first fight. The 6 months i spent big bucks at a gym i lost money and gained nothing. Try the PAL first those people are there for the love of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                  X