Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Mayweather and Cotto the Best That Eachother Have Faced?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes and No

Cotto is Mayweather's best opponent since Castillo.

JMM is great, but he was moving up two weight classes into a class he never competed in, he looked liked he ate a twinkie a day to move up. So all things being equal, it was clearly noncompetitive going in. So, looking at the whole package, this is May's best opponent in the last 10 years

As for Cotto, I still think that Pacquiao is Cotto's best opponent, judging from where they're at right now. In 2009, Pac was probably at the peak of his game. Nothing and nobody was getting past Pac at that point. Skill wise, Mayweather is the best he's faced, but looking at where Pac was in 2009 and May is in 2012, I'll favor Pac, just by a hair. Pac hasn't looked nearly as dominant as he was in 2008/2009.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      everybody (myself included,) is picking floyd to trash manny pacquiao. it's the logical outcome.i cant wait for that fight. the odds will be close to even, and they shouldn't be anywhere close to that. manny will have very little chance, and that will be apparent very quickly
      Ha ha, it seems it is you who is a bit of a floyd fan. How do you come to the conclusion Pac has little chance and that will be apparent very quickly? How is Floyd beating Pac the logical outcome? Do you base it off of FLoyd beating a bloated never fought at 140, let alone 147 again JMM again?

If you base it off the fact that Pac has a better resume and has fought better fighters, beat Hatton better and DLH and didnt nearly get knocked out by SSM, you might come to the logical conclusion Pac beats Floyd.

If you are unbias like you want people to believe, i believe an unbias person would opt for the second option.
      Last edited by hugh grant; 04-01-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        Ha ha, it seems it is you who is a bit of a floyd fan. How do you come to the conclusion Pac has little chance and that will be apparent very quickly? How is Floyd beating Pac the logical outcome? Do you base it off of FLoyd beating a bloated never fought at 140, let alone 147 again?

If you base it off the fact that Pac has a better resume and has fought better fighters, beat Hatton better and DLH and didnt nearly get knocked out by SSM, you might come to the logical conclusion Pac beats Floyd.

If you are unbias like you want people to believe, i believe an unbias person would opt for the second option.

pacquiao's got a better resume.

at ww i think floyd's a much better fighter
        we'll see what it looks like if / when they fight

easy floyd UD is my pick.

Comment

• i think the hardest mnayweather has faced was oscar and castillo who floyd lost to both!!

in case u forget manny pacman beat oscar and stopped him!

Comment

• Beating Oscar at 154 and being 149 on the night while Oscar was 160 was Floyds biggest win , to give a strong full size Oscar that kinda of weight is a big achievement , Oscar that Floyd fought is a monster compared to sick rung out 145 dead man walking that Manny beat , Oscar would stop Manny at 154 .

Comment

• De La Hoya at 154, Hatton at 140, Corrales at 130, Castillo at 135 were all tougher fights on paper for Floyd than this, although this is a good fight to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                Beating Oscar at 154 and being 149 on the night while Oscar was 160 was Floyds biggest win , to give a strong full size Oscar that kinda of weight is a big achievement , Oscar that Floyd fought is a monster compared to sick rung out 145 dead man walking that Manny beat , Oscar would stop Manny at 154 .

Comment

• Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  I heard those same things about Chavez Jr. in his last fight, only he wasn't facing Mayweather so he basically had a career best performance.

And weight drained fighters don't typically make the same weight years later.
                  It's not that he can't .... he did against Floyd too (come in at 130) but the problem is that he is not at his best due to losing too much weight and perhaps not training properly. Whatever it was, they admitted to it and the trainer, years later stated that Corrales was weight drained and blamed himself for that.

Corrales fought only 1 more guy at 130 and again, because there was an opportunity to fight for a title again ..... there are numerous fighters that struggle to make weight and it weakens them to drop so much weight even though they try again and again. Some its even due to them gaining too much weight in between fights.

but again, against a Casamayor, who is not known to be a big puncher, he knocked down Corrales 3 times!!! .... and Corrales didn't look good in the fights ..... he lost the first and could have easily have lost the 2nd but the judges gave it to him .... then he moved up.

There are several articles that state what I stated about Corrales being weight drained, had the flu the week of the fight and had personal problems ... can't blame Floyd for any of that but it is what it is.

Comment

• Mayweather is Cotto's best opponent (Pac a close second)
                    Cotto is up there but Floyd has some studs on his resume.

Comment

• I disagree with oscar being a tougher opponent than cotto (at that point in his career). Oscar was on his way out the door, and doing nothing but losing all his big fights.

and i believe cotto to be better than castillo, corrales, hatton(lulz), etc. While castillo was a good fighter, his claim to fame was losing his big fights. Hatton, a glorified one trick club fighter. Corrales, a good fighter, but not very skilled. Cotto has proven way more of himself than any of those guys imo.
                      Last edited by ~AK49~; 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X