No announcement yet.

Career accomplishments of Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    LOL a draw and win against 2 guys fighting at weight classes they had no business fighting at. Come one when you have to argue that those are his best wins you know he isn't in the same universe as Roberto Duran.
    I never said Whitaker=Duran in legacy, but its obvious that the Chavez fight was a win and both Nelson and Chavez were outstanding wins, regardless of the weight class. certainly better than his win over JC Vasquez.

Comment

One thing most people don't consider and I always point out, is how few fights Duran actually had at LW, especially after winning the title. He virtually only ever fought at the 135 limit for title fights, he was more a 140 guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        I never said Whitaker=Duran in legacy, but its obvious that the Chavez fight was a win and both Nelson and Chavez were outstanding wins, regardless of the weight class. certainly better than his win over JC Vasquez.
        No it doesn't totally discredit them but its not like beating them at full strength. Especially when you consider he didn't even really beat Chavez and he couldn't dominate a much smaller man in Nelson. He actually dominated Vasquez and did it as a smaller man.

Comment

No it doesn't totally discredit them but its not like beating them at full strength. Especially when you consider he didn't even really beat Chavez and he couldn't dominate a much smaller man in Nelson. He actually dominated Vasquez and did it as a smaller man.
          The Culiacan Crybaby got pwned and exposed by Whitaker. Get over it fan-boi

Poet

Comment

Yup pwned and exposed all the way to a draw when he was at a weight disadvantage

Comment

Yup pwned and exposed all the way to a draw when he was at a weight disadvantage
              Judges paid off by Don King can't change an ownage that everyone saw with their own eyes.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                I forgot I even did this one.

Do you think Duran is the greatest Lightweight of all time?

I think that he is, a lightweight who can hit with that kind of power + speed + awkward but effective defense + killer instinct in the ring. He was my idol (with Gilles Villeneuve and Guy Lafleur !) when he came to fight Leonard in Montreal, he also made me start to boxe.

Comment

One of my pet bugbears about Duran is the way people tend to concentrate solely on his defeat to Leonard and forget entirely his brilliant display in their first battle.

I have no time for the popular notion that Leonard lost solely because he got his tactics wrong. Anyone who hasn't watched that fight might easily believe that Ray was completely outclassed when the truth is he fought a superb fight landing a succession of brutal shots in just about every round that would have floored any of his other opponents with the possible exception of Hagler.

In my eyes this victory was arguably Duran's greatest. I can't recall too many other bouts in which a fighter showed such indomitable will. There was simply no way he was going to let Leonard win and for every clean shot he got hit with he was going to dish out equal measure with a healthy dose of interest slapped on.

The re-match was undoubtedly the low point of Duran's career. But it should in no way detract from his performance in their first clash when BOTH fighters were outstanding with Duran being just that bit moreso.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                    One of my pet bugbears about Duran is the way people tend to concentrate solely on his defeat to Leonard and forget entirely his brilliant display in their first battle.

I have no time for the popular notion that Leonard lost solely because he got his tactics wrong. Anyone who hasn't watched that fight might easily believe that Ray was completely outclassed when the truth is he fought a superb fight landing a succession of brutal shots in just about every round that would have floored any of his other opponents with the possible exception of Hagler.

In my eyes this victory was arguably Duran's greatest. I can't recall too many other bouts in which a fighter showed such indomitable will. There was simply no way he was going to let Leonard win and for every clean shot he got hit with he was going to dish out equal measure with a healthy dose of interest slapped on.

The re-match was undoubtedly the low point of Duran's career. But it should in no way detract from his performance in their first clash when BOTH fighters were outstanding with Duran being just that bit moreso.
                    ^^^^^ Spot-on. The thing is, Leonard fought the first Duran fight the way he normally fought in his prime. Leonard fought a hell of a fight. Against damn near any opponent it would have been a winning performance. The problem was Duran fought simply a magnificent fight that night.....the kind of sterling performance that comes maybe once a decade.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                      One thing most people don't consider and I always point out, is how few fights Duran actually had at LW, especially after winning the title. He virtually only ever fought at the 135 limit for title fights, he was more a 140 guy.
                      true...

before winning the title he was lighter and after that he nly fought title fights at 135

Comment

Working...
                      X