Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Join Gym One, Two or Find Another?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Join Gym One, Two or Find Another?

So I attended two local boxing/ gyms for a free trial.

At the first gym (boxing/kickboxing), one of the trainers asked to see my natural fighting stance and movement. So, I showed him. He then patted my back while shaking his head saying, oh brother but it's going to be alright. He then referred me to a female trainer. The female trainer asked to see my fighting stance and movement. I show her. She said, wow, we have a lot to work on. She then told me I have a very unorthodox fighting style. She said, it's very rare to see a righty who naturally leads with the right hand (southpaw), in my sense. Moreover, to see someone naturally or actually utilize the sideways/switch with a low guard. She goes on to say, my natural stance and movement is to advance for my level. She wants to take me down to master the core boxing stances and footwork.

At the second (boxing/mma), the trainer asked to see my fighting style. So I showed him. He actually liked my fighting style minus what he calls a lazy philly shell. He said it won't be easy due to fighting sideways requires a lot conditioning, agility, footwook and a love for the backhand and snap jab. I inquired about my style being to advanced. He said, it's not about being advanced but rather build out and upon what is natural for you.

Do any of these gyms sound worth the time and investment to learn boxing?

How do you have a style or a stance if you never learned to box?

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      How do you have a style or a stance if you never learned to box?
      Yea, seriously. I've never heard of anything like that in my life.

Unless you told them you're experienced and ready to compete, those "trainers" are complete clowns. Real trainers have never asked me to exhibit my skills on day 1. They just put you through the training routine and they get an idea of where you're at while they go through the basics. I'm guessing you had to have made some kind of claims to them.

There is nothing natural about sport and you know nothing until you've been through some training. I was the best fighter among my friends and soon found out that was nothing compared to what I learned in just the first week of formal coaching.
      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 08-05-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Guess they were after my money. I got the whole gym tour including a meet and greet. Then the trainers asked if I have taken any self defense or martial arts class(es)? I replied, no. Then came the whole what I'm guessing was some kind if you were in a fight how would you stand and fight assessment. *shrugs*
        The boxing/kickboxing place charges around 110 a month total. That figure would go up pending on the trainer and type of training I'd like.
        The boxing/mma place charges around 135 a month but I can take judo, bjj, and other martial art classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Potential boxer View Post
          Thanks for the replies. Guess they were after my money. I got the whole gym tour including a meet and greet. Then the trainers asked if I have taken any self defense or martial arts class(es)? I replied, no. Then came the whole what I'm guessing was some kind if you were in a fight how would you stand and fight assessment. *shrugs*
          The boxing/kickboxing place charges around 110 a month total. That figure would go up pending on the trainer and type of training I'd like.
          The boxing/mma place charges around 135 a month but I can take judo, bjj, and other martial art classes.
          Thx for the explanation. Knowing that, I'd say run from both those places. Totally amateurish.

Comment

Find a specifically boxing gym. Mma/kickboxing guys mostly don't know real boxing.

Comment

Agreed, I've been to a few kick boxing schools. Not one has asked to see my "Natural fighting stance" . . . If something is not to how they teach they'll ask me to adjust. . . I was essentially what they refer to as a "ringer" in the latter kickboxing club I went to. (IE Someone who's done it before) but the point still remains, the specific school would teach me their way of learning.

I too am also like you, I am left handed at writing but right out of orthodox.

Comment

Both those gyms sound like a joke, look elsewhere.

Do they have any pro fighters or even amateur boxers that train there? Sounds like one of those "boxing/mma" gyms where you usually get a good workout in, but little technique is teached.

Comment

Working...
                X