No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Mayweather vs Maidana...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    you win rounds be landing the more effective punches. the rest is a means to an end. you a ring general [in control of space an contact] to avoid your opponents punches, and land your own. you defend to avoid your opponents punches. you're aggressive to land your own punches[hence the term "effective aggression."] you're not effectively aggressive if you move forward and take a beating. you're not a ring general if you get your guy on the ropes [control space] and still eat the more effective punches.

you score damage in a boxing match. you ask, simply, who did more damage? "whose punches were more effective?" asks the same question.

you give the round to the guy who did more damage [whose punches were more effective.] the scoring criteria is simple, but that doesn't mean everybody can do it.

if you really have trouble discerning who did more damage you can call the round a draw. this used to be much more common for pundits and even official judges. go back through the "news paper" era for more information.

official judges today will never score a round a draw. they're instructed to look to other things if they think the amount of damage dealt was relatively equal. these other things, not necessarily in order, are effective aggression [the word effective is the important part, and it implies that it allows a fighter to do more damage and to avoid damage coming back,] ring generalship, and defense.

heres' a blurb from steve weisfeld, an experienced judge of over 1500 fights, and author.

Clean punches: To me, clean punches are the most important aspect, and the other factors are really tied to that. Take the phrase, "effective aggressiveness." How is a boxer effective? He's effective by landing clean punches. How about "defense?" A boxer shows great defense by not getting hit with clean punches. And, finally, the term "ring generalship." A boxer uses the ring to put himself in a position to land clean punches.

So let's focus on the phrase "clean punches." It may not be initially apparent, but there are various elements included within that phrase. First, there's the number of punches. The boxer who lands more punches generally wins. However, harder punches count more than lighter punches.

Now, there's no mathematical formula that equates the number of punches with the hardness of the punch. The judge has to weigh the two based on his experience. But more important than the number of punches or the hardness of the punch is the effect of the punch. For example, a seemingly lighter punch that causes a boxer to stagger is scored higher than a seemingly harder punch that has no effect.

http://www.premierboxingchampions.co...ow-score-fight

this is generally a very good resource for those who might still be unclear about how to score rounds.

There's no wrong in scoring an even round, but it had to be pretty indiscernible who won the round, and that is rare in my experience. A round where two fighters trade the same amount of shots with the same effect in the center of the ring without taking a step back, and yet also are slipping and rolling, catching and shooting, and not just eating to land, would be a fantastic problem to have as a judge, lol.

Comment

• no complaining of maidanas dirty fighting? how ironic

Comment

• 7-5 Mayweather.

Comment

• Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
          no complaining of maidanas dirty fighting? how ironic
          Yea Because floyd doesnt use any illegal tactics?? LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
            Yea Because floyd doesnt use any illegal tactics?? LOL.

Its professional boxing, they will all use a forearm to push off a guy, I could string them pics together on any boxer, no different to knocking a guys hand down and punching him with the other, as Ricky Hatton once said its not a tickling contest, understand the edge the top pros play on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
              Its professional boxing, they will all use a forearm to push off a guy, I could string them pics together on any boxer, no different to knocking a guys hand down and punching him with the other, as Ricky Hatton once said its not a tickling contest, understand the edge the top pros play on.

My point was he claimed maidana is a dirty fighter when floyd is just as dirty....

Comment

• Originally posted by southpawology View Post
                my point was he claimed maidana is a dirty fighter when floyd is just as dirty....
                no not on the same level but that was more for those who always complain about dirty fighters, chino was extra dirty in the first floyd fight and those same posters praised it.

Comment

• Floyd lost this fight, too cautious and defensive in the same vain as a boxer who is hurt so has to be defensive to survive round.
                  Floyd possibly should have lost some rounds 10-8 as he was too defence mode trying to survive as best as he could to get through round.
                  So will be tre ated in same way as someone who was on verge of being koed who who has to be solely defensive to survive losing round 10-8
                  Last edited by hugh grant; 08-27-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Scored it a draw. I just don't see how 4corners gives Floyd the 11th round.
                    Think I had it 115-113 Mayweather.

A draw is a fair scorecard IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                      My point was he claimed maidana is a dirty fighter when floyd is just as dirty....
                      No he is not just as dirty but like every top pro he has old school tricks that come with the territory, dirty fighters will hit low on purpose, hit thighs, hit the back of neck, stand on your feet, try to trip you, come in with the head, turn the hooks over to slice with the elbow, rub the glove over cuts etc etc, they do a lot of this stuff on the refs blind side and they know they are doing it.

A brawler can bum rush smother and do all of the above, a very slick boxer cannot pull it off, so yes Floyd has every trick in the book but he is not a dirty fighter, Maidana is a rough house fighter that does a lot of things I mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                      X