No announcement yet.

This Day in Boxing History: Douglas Beats Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Day in Boxing History: Douglas Beats Tyson

On this date in 1990, James "Buster" Douglas defeated Mike Tyson in possibly the biggest upset in sports history.

Where were you when you heard about it? How did you react?

I was 12 years old and didn't find out until the next morning on teletext. There is no sporting event before or since that upset me more. Throw in the 13 second knockdown and I was gutted.

Comment

42-1 underdog bum beats the snot out of tyson. the world stopped spinning that day. tyson crashed and burned that night never again to regain his status as best heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post
        42-1 underdog bum beats the snot out of tyson. the world stopped spinning that day. tyson crashed and burned that night never again to regain his status as best heavyweight.
        Incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          Incorrect.
          correct me then. when did tyson ever become the undisputed #1 at HW after douglass? the next noteworthy marquee opponent was holyfield. and that was another beatdown.

Comment

Originally posted by redmish View Post
            I was 12 years old and didn't find out until the next morning on teletext. There is no sporting event before or since that upset me more. Throw in the 13 second knockdown and I was gutted.
            Wow.

With the exception of me being 13 at the time, your post is exactly how it went for me too!!!

Ceefax page 300 and Oracle 130 for sport!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              On this date in 1990, James "Buster" Douglas defeated Mike Tyson in possibly the biggest upset in sports history.

Where were you when you heard about it? How did you react?
              Watched it live. Everyone was mad about the long count. The aftermath was very chaotic.

Comment

correct me then. when did tyson ever become the undisputed #1 at HW after douglass? the next noteworthy marquee opponent was holyfield. and that was another beatdown.
                Revise history much? I see you like to revise your statements as well from "best Heavyweight" to "undisputed #1 at HW" when you get challenged.

Tyson was a 25-1 favorite when he fought Holyfield the first time. People feared for Evander's life. Without any shred of doubt Tyson was considered the "best" Heavyweight by a long margin in 95-96' when he got out of prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                  Wow.

With the exception of me being 13 at the time, your post is exactly how it went for me too!!!

If you read the page too slow it would go to the next page and you had to wait for it to come round again.😂😂. I miss them days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                    Wow.

Ceefax. The Poor Man's Internet. That was my source back in the day.

Anyone ever play Bamboozle?

Comment

Working...
                    X