No announcement yet.

Kell Brook was the most poorly handled guy I can think of

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    Eh, fair enough. I shouldn't have said short layoff. Considering he had his eye socket broken though, I think he should have taken at least this long (8-9 months) and fought a tuneup at 154, instead of squeezing into 147 and taking on a dangerous puncher just to get his face broken again.
    The socket they operated on held up good though. Too bad the other side got messed up by Spence

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
      I don't know anything of the healing process of his injury so is 8 months a long lay off for that injury bearing in mind he can't spar a good while after the operation? How much earlier should he have fought?
      I think he fought at a good time. He had the operation not long after the GGG fight and if I remember correctly he said the healing would take 3-4 months. Keep in mind he also pushed the Spence fight to take place at a later date than they were going to do it just so they could be sure his orbital bone healed correctly.

Comment

oh well hes probably made more money than the fighters you think are 'well managed'. problem is people on here assume that if anyone isnt undefeated theyve been 'mismanaged'

Comment

brook was badly handled, was the option not there for a unification with thurman instead of golovkin at that time? he would still be healthy if he choose that, then coming back down in weight for spence, bad idea on top of bad idea

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            Short layoff after Golovkin? He fought Spence 8-9 months later. That's a short layoff?
            He had eye surgery, coming off of a TKO loss to Golovkin, 13 pounds increase in weight, so yes 8-9 months is short regarding the circumstance.

Comment

Hearn and Warren have done poorly with him, Warren worse.

Majority of blame should lie with his management and himself though imo.

Comment

He was an excellent fighter with a lot of talent. It seemed he was prospect/contender for too long and then he showed his class with a very clear win over Porter.

But the inability to get any good fights after that held him back and then the dumb decision to jump up for GGG and then equally dumb decision to jump back down two weights to fight Spence likely ruined him. Maybe he got paid well though but you don’t just jump up like that unless you need and then for a dude who’s already killing himself to make 147 to come back and shed a lot of muscle like that is a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                  oh well hes probably made more money than the fighters you think are 'well managed'. problem is people on here assume that if anyone isnt undefeated theyve been 'mismanaged'
                  I'm a fan. He could have some good wins under his belt.

Comment

I always enjoyed his style but it was frustrating to watch him against bum after bums for the first ten years or so. His first real test was literally Porter which wasnt that long ago.

Yea him and managament fked up..

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                      One of them anyway. Wasted his prime fighting euro level cans after beating Porter. Got his eye broken at middleweight and then again at welterweight. I'm ok with Brook vs Cook but man did Hearn really waste a good fighter's career...
                      Hearn is Brook's promoter, not his manager or trainer. He made Kell a lot of money from 2 big fights that Kell himself asked for, and made him into a household name in the UK, which he had never been till he fought GGG.

The GGG fight was a calculated risk, a gamble that didn't pay off, but both Brook and his trainer thought he had a great chance of pulling it off. The eyesocket injury was just a very unlucky break - forgive the pun - that nobody could have predicted. These things happen in a tough sport like boxing.

As for Spence - both Hearn and Brook's trainer, Dominic Ingle, advised him to give up his 147 belt and move up to 154 instead of taking that fight on, but Brook is stubborn and proud. It turned out that the titanium plate he had grafted to the bone under his right eye was putting extra stress from punches onto his left eye socket, and he ended up with a broken face for the second fight in a row.

He really should have taken a longer rest before coming back, put his mando obligation didn't permit that. None of that was Hearn's fault, or anybody else's. It was just bad luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X