Couture is age 47 and is a shot fighter; Toney the younger man will win tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
    Why don't you like James Toney?

He's given us some great fights, like the one with Jirov.
    Ive always liked James Toney, and at his best hes one of the most talented fighters youll ever see. His first fight with McCallum in particular was one of the most technically sound wars ever.

but that doesnt make me delusional. Im a realist: Toney has fallen a LONG, LONG way. I guess it would be nice for him to win, but theres no denying that the guy is a shadow of his former self, and thats being generous.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
      James Toney is going to put the old man's lights out tonight.

The age 47 Randy Couture has lost to Brock Lesnar and then to the past-prime Nogueira. Age has caught up with him...

Couture's body appeared very OLD at the weigh-in.

Toney is just age 41 and although he's past his prime, he's less shot than the 47 year old Couture.
      Very good anaylsis Freedom Fighter!
      Last edited by BostonGuy; 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Couture has had like 25 pro fights. Toney has had 70-80.

lol

Comment

im hoping toney kills him

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
            Why don't you like James Toney?

He's given us some great fights, like the one with Jirov.
            wow tunney! this is the first time i ever heard you speak positively avout toney....

Comment

Toney has no chance. If you ever took a kickboxing lesson you'd know that if you haven't spent a career getting kicked in the legs, you will feel it ALLOT. That's exactly how Toney's going down, kick to the leg, he reaches with his hand and Randy takes him down.
              Now to a boxing fan to come to an MMA site and side with the MMA guy, i wonder why is that. I know actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Allucard View Post
                Toney has no chance. If you ever took a kickboxing lesson you'd know that if you haven't spent a career getting kicked in the legs, you will feel it ALLOT. That's exactly how Toney's going down, kick to the leg, he reaches with his hand and Randy takes him down.
                Now to a boxing fan to come to an MMA site and side with the MMA guy, i wonder why is that. I know actually.
                actually, kicks are not that hard to deal with unless youre in there with a real guru.

Leg kicks leave you wide open for left hooks or right hands, depending on the leg the opponent is kicking with. mostly because their equilibrium is so bad at the time, because after all theyre standing on one leg. you just have to know to be aggressive instead of freezing when it happens.

Comment

not only what blackirish said but Couture is not a big kicker to my knowledge anyway. he's not one of those jiu jitsu guys he's a wrestler for pete's sake. chances are you won't see him kicking much but rather trying to immediately tie toney up then sweep his legs to take hi down etc. I think Toney has a very strong chance to KTFO this type of fighter especially the slow/old Couture

Comment

wow.. Couture is 1/5 on. think i'll drop 100 quid on Toney to keep my interest.

Comment

I think Toney has a better shot than the majority give him, if only because the UFC is to an extent playing with fire by putting him in against Couture, a fighter who looks older and more fragile in each outing. Couture should win, the logic is sound, a fair few boxers have gone to MMA and with the exception of Mercer-Sylvia, they've lost. However I can't shake this feeling Toney will land something as Couture moves in, Randy doesn't have the best double leg in the world. There's a lot of MMA fighters I'd pick to beat Toney, I think most top level welterweights would beat him, but there's a definite risk factor with Couture.
                      Last edited by sunthunder; 08-28-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X