No announcement yet.

So i'm thinking of buying a 360.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody has mentioned the "Jasper" yet.

What is "Jasper"? It's the latest revision to the XBOX 360. The difference this time is the GPU has shrunk. It's now built on a 65nm (nanometer) process. The previous revision (Falcon) had only a CPU shrink, so this newest version of the 360 should run cooler, eat less power, and last longer. Whether or not it completely eliminates the RROD syndrome is yet to be seen, but it's safe to say you ought to get the latest revision and avoid all previous versions of the 360. The Jasper is much less likely to suffer with the usual 360 problems. It also runs quieter.

So how do you ensure you have a Jasper? Look on the back of the console (you don't actually have to open the box to do this, there's a little window cutout in the packaging) and make sure it says "12.1A".

Also, if possible, make sure it's a console built this year. Last year's models are more likely to be Falcon's.

Lastly, the Jasper should come with a 150W power supply, although some have shipped with 175 (Falcon) PSU's.

As for which one to buy -- I'd get the one with a 60GB hard drive, but that's just me. You should at least get a 20GB drive. The good thing about having a HDD is you can play games directly from it. This saves using the CD drive to run games from, which means less noise and less heat. The Arcade 360 that doesn't come with a HDD won't allow you to play older XBOX games, so bear this in mind. You need a HDD to do this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

they said the falcon solved the RROD ...(remember the video of the 360 that RROD'ed when they displayed the falcon @ e3?priceless).so i wouldnt trust the jasper.....

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
        they said the falcon solved the RROD ...(remember the video of the 360 that RROD'ed when they displayed the falcon @ e3?priceless).so i wouldnt trust the jasper.....
        The problem all along was the GPU overheating. Without a change -- a die shrink to 65nm from 90nm -- how was the GPU supposed to magically stay cool? Falcon was a worthy revision, but it was never gonna solve the problem completely. The new revision makes sense. As I said, it remains to be seen if it stops RROD, but I'll bet it'll be much more reliable.

Smaller GPU = less heat and power draw = less overheating = less RROD.

Basically, if you're gonna buy an XBOX 360, now is the time to do so, but make sure you get the latest one, not some reconditioned crap from eBay.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by S a m u r a i View Post
          The problem all along was the GPU overheating. Without a change -- a die shrink to 65nm from 90nm -- how was the GPU supposed to magically stay cool? Falcon was a worthy revision, but it was never gonna solve the problem completely. The new revision makes sense. As I said, it remains to be seen if it stops RROD, but I'll bet it'll be much more reliable.

Smaller GPU = less heat and power draw = less overheating = less RROD.

Basically, if you're gonna buy an XBOX 360, now is the time to do so, but make sure you get the latest one, not some reconditioned crap from eBay.
          Thanks for all the info. I don't know which version ill buy, im thinking about the 360 arcade with a hard drive on the side, would be the same thing and the 360 pro but cheaper.

Also i have questions about getting it chipped, i know it voids the garanty. But lets say i get it chipped and download games, while i be able to play these games on xbox live?

Anyway, i'm still not sure, but damn it i ****ing want to play fight night round 4.

Comment

As far as I know your console would be banned from XBOX Live if a mod was detected.

Comment

Screw 360, go pick yourself up a ps3. Free online gaming, isn't that enough to buy it? Everything else between the two is virtually the same. Ps3 has better texturing but that doesn't matter because game developers aren't going to improve one version over the other. All that talk is just a bunch of fanboy bullshyte.

ps3 + fnr4 = the ****. (and you can duke it out with me on there)

Comment

Working...
              X