Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pablo Hernandez vs. Cunningham thoughts.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    You make a sound observation about Hernandez's stamina. I also get the impression that Yoan Pablo gasses early. He needs to bring up his conditioning. Hernandez isn't a monster cruiserweight; but with the proper training, he can be champ for a while. It would be a very good thing for him; they seem to love Yoan Pablo in Germany.
    i haven't seen enough of hernandez to know but i think in both the cunningham fights it might say more about cunningham than hernandez. the USS was obviously in ridiculously good shape, with hernandez throwing even the kitchen sink at him and yet he gets up and comes back way stronger. like some damn zombie film!!

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
      i haven't seen enough of hernandez to know but i think in both the cunningham fights it might say more about cunningham than hernandez. the USS was obviously in ridiculously good shape, with hernandez throwing even the kitchen sink at him and yet he gets up and comes back way stronger. like some damn zombie film!!
      lol "USS" is pretty impressive like that.

It so happens that I was just looking at the fourth round of the second fight again. I'm still amazed at how Cunningham managed to survive that round. Hernandez couldn't catch him with a flush shot to close the deal, but Steve was still taking enough to put a lesser man out.

I've seen both Cunningham fights, the Herelius bout and a few clips. Yoan Pablo is good, maybe not tremendous, but very, very solid. His two performances against a worthy champion like Cunningham alone speak volumes. The first bout with Steve left something to be desired, with that questionable stoppage, but Hernandez showed power and quality.

As I said before, Yoan Pablo fights in spurts, and his conditioning could be better. He throws somewhat loopy punches. But Hernandez has good skills, goes nicely to the body and has very respectable power. He has himself shown heart in his victories over Cunningham. I think Yoan Pablo has a very bright future. If he stays in Germany, he'll do extremely well for himself. He seems very popular over there, and even starred as Joe Louis in a film about Max Schmeling.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        lol "USS" is pretty impressive like that.

It so happens that I was just looking at the fourth round of the second fight again. I'm still amazed at how Cunningham managed to survive that round. Hernandez couldn't catch him with a flush shot to close the deal, but Steve was still taking enough to put a lesser man out.

I've seen both Cunningham fights, the Herelius bout and a few clips. Yoan Pablo is good, maybe not tremendous, but very, very solid. His two performances against a worthy champion like Cunningham alone speak volumes. The first bout with Steve left something to be desired, with that questionable stoppage, but Hernandez showed power and quality.

As I said before, Yoan Pablo fights in spurts, and his conditioning could be better. He throws somewhat loopy punches. But Hernandez has good skills, goes nicely to the body and has very respectable power. He has himself shown heart in his victories over Cunningham. I think Yoan Pablo has a very bright future. If he stays in Germany, he'll do extremely well for himself. He seems very popular over there, and even starred as Joe Louis in a film about Max Schmeling.
        i'll have to watch some more of hernandez, i liked what i saw in the first few rounds or so of this latest bout, great skill.
        cunningham earned a lot of respect though. after the first fight, when i saw him go down in the second, even though he looked done, i thought "hang on a moment here"! and yeah he did very well all things considered, great fight!

Comment

I really enjoy USS' fights, but after the first fight, Hernandez just seemed to have that kind of style that was always going to trouble Cunningham. Even after the controversy surrounding the first fight, I thought USS was losing without a doubt and it was going to be a rough outing.

With the rematch... Cunningham should have stayed on the outside all night and boxed Hernandez, but he kept staying in range the get caught with heavy shots. Hernandez just has that style that will always trouble Cunningham and the KD's certainly helped which is what I think gave Hernandez the win, but even without one or both, Hernandez could eked out the W or at least a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
            Like I said, I don't have an issue with Hernandez winning obviously, just saying all this "erased all doubts" stuff, just doesn't truly describe the way the fight went. When I heard everyone talking about it, and reading the articles I was expecting a more complete performance from Hernandez. He looked really flat in alot of the rounds, while Cunningham was doing effective work with the jab and body shots. I just think those two big knockdowns effected peoples view of how the whole affair truly went down, that's really all I'm saying...Not trying to make a big deal out of it.
            I saw it the same way. You could give Steve rounds 5-11, maybe YPH won one. I gave YPH the final round, cause he hurt Steve, but USS was back to outworking him within 15 seconds.

Comment

Yoan has skills, but he needs to do something about his workrate. Maybe it's a conditioning issue....I don't think he's shown his top potential yet.

Comment

Working...
              X