Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Likes Middleweight Super Six (or 8)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Likes Middleweight Super Six (or 8)

Guys and Ladies,

I need your opinions and hope for intelligent feedback. This is not a discussion about who is the best middleweight and who sucks, but more about hopefully making exciting fights happen.

Commuting to work this AM, I started thinking about the sad state of boxing today. All the inter-network BS and manager/promoter BS.

There was a time when very interesting and intriguing bouts were put together in a successful tournament format, I'm referring to Super Six World Boxing Classic.

How about this:

Pull together Canelo, GGG, Jacobs, Saunders (all current belt holders), and Lemieux and Lee (recent belt holders) for a Middleweight Super Six (S6) Tournament. If we want to go to Super 8 (S8), maybe add another 2 out of Quillin, Geale, Eubank, N'dam, Johnson.

For S6 make the tourney Round Robin, and then best 2 guys fight it out for the Title/Championship. Total of 16 fights (15 Round Robin plus Championship fight) and tourney length of 18-24 months.

For S8, split into 2 groups and fight Round Robin, and then the group leaders fight for the Title/Championship. Total of 13 fights and tourney length 18 months.

And then schedule 3(4 for S8) bouts in Feb/March, May/June, Aug/Sep, and Nov/Dec.

You have to admit, this does sound intriguing, but I'm sure many are wondering about the economics of this coming together.This probably is the most important factor in putting such tournament together.

How about the following. I'll just show the math for S6 format, but similar principle can be applied to S8:

For each bout, each fighter gets guaranteed $2 Million (MM) or $4MM purse/fight. Championship fight guaranteed sums for winner of $10MM and runner-up of $5MM, plus maybe additional pays from marketing, gate, and other revenue streams.

So taking my guaranteed payouts, the tournament purse is $75 MM.

Here is how money can be raised:

All fights are co-promoted by HBO/Sho, and perhaps other international companies.

Sell all fights as PPV, each individual bouts @ $69.99, with an option for a wholesale/prepay type of pricing; such as get all 3 fights for every installment at $150 (or $49.99/bout), or get all of the tournament 16 fights for $640 ($39.99/bout).

Given that we have participants from US, UK, Canada, Russia/Kazakhstan, I believe sports bars and similar venues can easily generate 100,000 pre-buys for a some variation of the wholesale pricing which should gives us anywhere between $50-64 Million. That leaves us at about $10-25MM short.

However, I strongly believe that taking into account individual fight PPV buys, venue gate collections, marketing and broadcasting rights, and other revenue streams, HBO/SHO can make this a very profitable exercise. My estimate is that they can easily generate north of $200 Million in revenue for the whole tournament.

We all know, that if put together, this tournament will generate more interest and demand as it starts rolling.

About fighters, with the exception of Canelo, most of them never made $2MM per fight. Thus, given my proposed economics, having an option to make $10MM guaranteed for 5 fights within 15-18 months, I believe should be a no brainier for them.

Perhaps, Canelo can have a separate stipulation in terms of revenue sharing of his individual PPV buys.

I hope you enjoyed my write up, and I can't wait to hear from you.

Regards and Happy Holidays to All!!!
    Definetely, I'm in
    85.71%
    Sounds Interesting, but tell me more
    14.29%
    Depends on who's in it
    0.00%
    Not a chance
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

id watch just about any tournament in any division.....

Comment

It would be great but the problem is who would sign up?

The super six was great (until the drop outs) because you had a bunch of guys perfectly willing to test their mettle by fighting the best.

Part of that motivation was clearly financial.

Middleweight, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
        This.

Would be the only way to decide a true champion, look at Ward's success.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
          true dat

Comment

Not happening. Only people who would sign up are Golovkin, Lee and Lemieux.

Comment

I think long form or round robin-ish type tournaments are awful for boxing & hem up the top of the division for two long. Round robin tournaments are in particular ****ty cuz it basically destroys the division for the winner for years afterwards cuz you beat all the top opposition. The Super Six is pretty much why Ward had nothing at 168 worthwhile to do even if he hadn't sit on his hands since that tournament ended.

I'm pro tournaments for up & coming guys doe. I think thats the best way to get the cream rising to the top quicker. I like Prizefighter, but I think it'd be better if it wasn't a one night deal. I used to like those Cali arena (forget the venue, Great Western Forum?) tournaments they used to have back in the day.

Things change to fast in boxing to have a multiple L tournament format or an 8 man tournament with big names. The best ran tournament I've seen was probably the HBO HW tournament back in the day & they allowed for Tyson to enter that tournament midway. If you can do something like that in a longer tournament fair enough, but it'd have sucked if the HBO HW tournament was Super Six style & Tyson woulda had to wait a year & a half or whatever to start fighting the best guys.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                This.

Would be the only way to decide a true champion, look at Ward's success.
                Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                true dat
                i mean we have 4 titles per division right? haha

Comment

Working...
                X